Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
X3 Bike Rack

Searching the forums and google in general didn't result in any real answers. I have an X3 on a two year lease. I'd like to set it up to carry bikes once in awhile. I really don't want to do the internal solution as I have a lot of stuff to carry with me from time to time as well. I'm also not a huge fan of the rooftop solution although I'd consider it. Ideally there would be a rear mounted bike rack that was very stable that didn't require any alterations to the vehicle as it is on a short term lease.

Does anyone have any ideas?

BTW I have a six speed manual, just approaching 1,000 miles and the end of the break in period and I'm very happy with the car.
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Yes, there is an exterior bike rack that mounts from the hitch, just like many of the ones you see on the road (except this one is OEM). I don't have the part # on me right now, but it's listed as a Swing Away Hitch mounted bike carrier. MSRP is $425
Old 08-13-2007, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto:
Yes but that means I need to add a hitch to truck. I'd rather not do that since it's only a two year lease...
Old 08-14-2007, 05:26 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X3, '13 X1
I know you said roof racks were not your first choice, but Yakima sells adapters that let you mount their cross bars to the X3 roof rack. I have a set and have used them to transport bikes and kayaks.

Go to http://yakima.com/ for info.

Also BMW sells a set of cross bars for the roof of the X3 which can carry bikes.

Lou
Old 08-14-2007, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550 m-sport, 2006 X3
Take a look at this one - it's a BMW carrier, however I have found that some of these parts cannot be ordered in Canada (YMMV in the US). Not sure what the modifications (if any) would be necessary to attach to the vehicle, however it indicates that this carrier can be mounted without a hitch.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=82&fg=51&hl=2

It appears to accomodate up to 3 bikes.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:22 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
I googled the part number and found this one: I need to look in my accessories brochure.

----------------------------------
82710147373 Each $497.50 $447.75
Rear Mounted Bike Carrier - W/O Trailer Hitch
This accessory slides into the SAV trailer hitch cross-member to carry up to four bikes. Swing mechanism allows access to cargo area while bikes are mounted.
----------------------------------
I'm not sure if you have to modify the bumper cover or not. There is that spring at the bottom... The mount WITH the hitch is about the same price.

=====================

I'm sure you can get a semi-universal Saris or Thule rack that mount over the hatch. Thule makes an OK trunk rack that will prob. fit on an X3. Price is around $100.00

Roof, internal or hitch would all be better though.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 08-16-2007 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
BMW Bike Lift

Just received the OEM base system, surfboard carrier and bike lift from Morristown BMW internet sales (recommended from X3world.com). Ask for Mike. The internet price for all 3, including $20.00 shipping) was less than I would pay for any Thule or Yakima via internet sites. I will take pictures in two days when we go on vacation and post. I think the bike lift will be easier for me to use. From first inspection it is well built and ingenious; simple to install.
Bike lift: http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemVi...0&productId=74

Jon

2010 Golf TDI
2008 .:R32
2006 X3
1997 Mazda Millenia S
1984 Mustang SVO
Old 08-16-2007, 10:46 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbekens View Post
Just received the OEM base system, surfboard carrier and bike lift from Morristown BMW internet sales (recommended from X3world.com). Ask for Mike. The internet price for all 3, including $20.00 shipping) was less than I would pay for any Thule or Yakima via internet sites. I will take pictures in two days when we go on vacation and post. I think the bike lift will be easier for me to use. From first inspection it is well built and ingenious; simple to install.
Bike lift: http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemVi...0&productId=74

Jon

Very interesting. What price did you pay? The MSRB seems sky high. I'm 6'9" so I'm not sure if I need the bike lift or not. It's probably worth $100 just to keep it simple...
Old 08-18-2007, 10:19 AM

I installed the BMW bike lift and am ready to head to the beach. Few things to know about the bike lift. 1. The seat and handdlebars need to be at about the same height.
2. You may need to move a bike computer or other accessory mount from the handlebars. 3. You will need a cable lock if you want to prevent theft.

This was easy to install. The lift is spring loaded and lifting the bike is a piece of cake. The vertical pole is easily removed with a thumb screw when you get to your final destination. Sorry about the cell phone picture quality.

My bike is a 16 year old Bridgestone CityBike. It matches the Bridgestone tires! It was a designed as a courier bike.
Many thanks to Mike Dos Santos at Morristown BMW for the discounted price on the parts.

Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_081807_001.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	118417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_081807_002.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	118418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_081807_003.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	118419  

2010 Golf TDI
2006 X3
1997 Mazda Millenia S
1984 Mustang SVO
Old 08-19-2007, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: '13 MINI JCW
Pretty slick little unit!

Now they just need to find a way to modify the PDC to beep when you're heading into the garage with the bike still up there!!

Old 08-19-2007, 09:41 AM

Arrived at the beach safely. Bike did not fall off. But it did hit a few overhead tree limbs on some side streets at the beach. It was fun to watch the bike shadow from overhead street lights make the bike look like it was passing us to the left. Only hear a faint whistle at 35 mph. Very little noise at speeds above that. MPG was 22.4 on intestates. Usually get 24.5 on the same trip w/o bike and rack.

No PDC for the roof from BMW, but it does come with a windshield sticker with a picture of a bike on an X5 to remind you of the height. Every little reminder helps!

Cowabunga from the beach! (Went for a 15 mile bike ride this am-a little breezy with a 15-20 mph wind from the south)
Jon

2010 Golf TDI
2006 X3
1997 Mazda Millenia S
1984 Mustang SVO