Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-31-2007, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 Black on Black
Ugly Teflon Tape

So finally it looks like the door creaks are gone (not sure how long will this last though)..but the teflon tape the dealer put all along the top side looks really ugly. It's a real shame that rather than changing the door seals BMW came up with such crude solution for this issue.
2008 535i Platinum Gray, Black Leather, Anthracite Headliner, Prem, Sport Pkg., Sport Auto, CW, NAV, Rear Seat Heating, Shades, PDC, IPOD/USB, HD; ED July 4th; visited Nurnberg, Rothenburg, Berchtesgaden, Salzburg, Garmish (via Alpenstrassse), Fussen, Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken, Gstaad, Gruyres, Montreux....1240 miles in Europe; Drop-off Zurich July 11, 07

2005 X3 3.0 Jet Black, Black Leather, Premium, Cold Weather, NAV, PDC, Privacy Glass, Univ Transmitter + IPOD (dealer install)
Ads by Google
Old 07-31-2007, 06:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5, 2006 530i
That's too bad. Teflon tape is not an acceptable fix, in my opinion.

Then:
'07 X5 3.0 Alpine, Tobacco, Dark Burl, Sport, Tech, Premium, Rear climate, 3d row seat, ipod & running boards.
'07 X3, Silver Gray, Gray, Gray Poplar, Auto (gone and forgotten)
'03 Z4, 2.5, M. Blue, Black, MT, Sport, Premium. (RIP)
'95 325i, E36, Blk, Blk, auto, premium
'89 325i, E30, 1st one, Platinum Bronze, Black leatherette, MT.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:21 PM
Think Solar

Mein Auto: 2008 X3; 2007 650i conv
Can you post a pic of the dealer-installed tape?

MY2008 X3 3.0si |Monaco Blue| Sand | Sport | Prem | NAV | Auto | Euro Delivery 9/21/07

2004 X5 4.4i (retired)
Old 08-01-2007, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: '07 X3, '03 Z4
Follow this link for possible fix

Go to this link---I have used Gummi-Fledge on my Z3, Z4 and its great on door seals--it swelled and softened the convertible top windshield rubber strip and stopped a water leak. Its recommended and sold by BMW dealers-=its getting hard to find--

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ighlight=gummi

this place sells it

http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/sh...inszt_pg10.htm

Last edited by dug01; 08-01-2007 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: 04 X3 3.0i
here are some pics. Note how the seals dug into the door jamb paint on all four doors... i am really pissed...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FL1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	116495   Click image for larger version

Name:	FL2.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	116496   Click image for larger version

Name:	FR1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	116497   Click image for larger version

Name:	FR2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	116498   Click image for larger version

Name:	RL.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	116499  

Old 08-01-2007, 08:10 AM

I should note that the dealer only applied the tape on the upper seals and I covered these scratches made by the bottom seals with the same teflon tape I got extra from them...

Also note that even with the tape on the creaks are still loud in my car after one month. I only keep them away by using the Meguires TechProtect monthly.

I noticed that the creaks happen when the seals become too sticky due to hot humid air.

I know this is not a solution but because my car is now out of warranty, the dealer obviosuly won't do anything anymore about it. Unless the body starts to rust due to these scratches and then I'm after them for the body warranty which I believe is supposed to ve 12 years.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
Quote:
here are some pics. Note how the seals dug into the door jamb paint on all four doors... i am really pissed...
Wow... I have an '04 with over 50K miles and have no scratching like that on the jambs.

Then again - I haven't experienced the creaking either.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:14 AM

You must be one in few thousands, if not unique, or your radio zero volume starts at 60dB....
Old 08-01-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petren View Post
You must be one in few thousands, if not unique, or your radio zero volume starts at 60dB....

Would gladly post pics if you don't believe me.

That kind of contact between door & jamb seems to indicate the door(s) aren't properly aligned/mounted (IMO).
Old 08-01-2007, 09:29 AM

Actually - I just went to verify. I had never noticed it - but there is a clear tape extending up maybe a 1/2 inch from beneath the black trim on mine. It is so clear, and has no evidence of scuffing or scratching, that I had never even noticed it was there.

Definitely came from the factory like that as it extends underneath the black and runs from front all the way to back without any break in continuity. And I have never had it into the shop for creaking door seals.

Odd.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0
Had the creaking since day one. Tried all the fixes and none of them work perfectly. My dealer installed the tape but after a couple of days it faded into the paint and is hardly noticeable now. This helped with the creaking. The TechProtect also helps and the combination of the two is the best solution so far. Mine only creaks in the summer and when is cool or cold it is quiet. Never had Petren's problem and that sucks - dealer/BMW should definatly fix that for you. Don't give up. Did you send photos to BMWNA ?

2004 X3 3.0i, Silver Gray Metallic/Gray, Premium, Cold, Steptronic, Xenon, Privacy, Sat Prep
Old 08-03-2007, 12:10 PM

I did send pics to the dealer and they said they are discussign it and they've been discussing it I guess for the last three weeks. BMW NA you say? for some reason their email address is not easily noticeable on their website nor is their phone numbers and on top of it I'm in Canada. Perhaps they want you to deal thru the dealers. Also I want to give the dealer the first chance to do something before I start barking upstairs.

BTW I did have the doors alligned or looked for alignment few times after reading the notes in this forum. The scratch is made by the lower rubber gasket (the one that looks like a blade at the bottom of your door.

I guess you guys with a tape, if the dealer did not install one yet there, you should take my pics I sent and suggest they better do before they're( or you're) up for a paint job or a bigger issue.

I should mention that my X3 is one of the erliest 04 ones, perhaps the first the dealer received in their stock.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Wow.

1. The tape only addresses the syptoms of the problem and it is only a temporary fix.

2. Exposed metal!
Old 08-03-2007, 12:42 PM

Yup--- on all 4 doors, I just spoke with BMW Canada and they said they will seriously look at fixing it as otherwise this will result in rust and it still needs to be covered at a different level. I really don't know how they're going to fix it but it is a simple not acceptable for a car so good looking and so nice to have such a shameful issue.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoman707 View Post
Actually - I just went to verify. I had never noticed it - but there is a clear tape extending up maybe a 1/2 inch from beneath the black trim on mine. It is so clear, and has no evidence of scuffing or scratching, that I had never even noticed it was there.

Definitely came from the factory like that as it extends underneath the black and runs from front all the way to back without any break in continuity. And I have never had it into the shop for creaking door seals.

Odd.
What year is your X3?
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Old 08-03-2007, 07:08 PM

Sorry Petren, I did not notice you are in the frozen north. Hard to believe rubber did that to the paint - sure its not the metal on the door rubbing the body ? My dealer also realigned my doors (one of many wrong fixes) at one point but they did not know what they were doing and they had them sitting against the inner body when closed and vibrations while driving caused them to scrape the paint badly on 2 door jams, so we had to put the doors back to the correct settings and repaint the door jams - doors were not the creaking problem at all, never were as its always been the seals on the doors. Hope they fix it for you.

2004 X3 3.0i, Silver Gray Metallic/Gray, Premium, Cold, Steptronic, Xenon, Privacy, Sat Prep
Old 08-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Still driving my '79 323i

Mein Auto: 2009 X3 3.0; 1979 323i
My '06 came down with the door seal squeaks this summer. My first bottle of TechProtect from Amazon.com is being delivered today, and I hope it helps. After what I've read here, I'm not even bothering to take it in to the dealer.

Oh, and my sunroof rattles too, but only when it's cold in the mornings. So, I have to wait until the winter to get the dealer to fix it, because they can't reproduce the problem later in the day when it's warm.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 11 328xi M Sport
BMW SIB for this concern

Tell the dealer to reference SIB 51-28-05. BMW has come out with updated seals. Putting the seal cleaners you guys have described only makes the problem worse.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeday View Post
What year is your X3?

Old 08-09-2007, 06:21 PM

Sorry to disagree with Bamafn1 but I had the SI B 51 28 05 (new window guides) fix done twice and it does not fix the problem. AFAIK BMW stopped doing it and superceeded it with a new SIB for the Teflon Tape (don't know #), which again is only a partial fix as I explained above. Also, I have not heard from anyone that the new window guides fix worked at all. Wish it did !

Old 08-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Still driving my '79 323i

Mein Auto: 2009 X3 3.0; 1979 323i
I've tried the TechProtect on my '06 now, and it seems to help not one bit.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: E90 330i, X3 3.0i
Try this - it might help, at least it took care of mine. It doesn't cost anything but you have to do it every time you open or close the window.

With all windows closed all the way, gently tab (only slightly tab once) the window button. You'll hear a slight pop sound as it breaks the air seal. Then leave it there. It's tight enough to prevent air and water from leaking in while keeping the glass from fully pushing onto the rubber gasket. Try this on all four windows and come back and tell us what you found.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Try this - it might help, at least it took care of mine. It doesn't cost anything but you have to do it every time you open or close the window.

With all windows closed all the way, gently tab (only slightly tab once) the window button. You'll hear a slight pop sound as it breaks the air seal. Then leave it there. It's tight enough to prevent air and water from leaking in while keeping the glass from fully pushing onto the rubber gasket. Try this on all four windows and come back and tell us what you found.
Yup, I know this trick and used it since even the last STB didn't fix the problem but it is a lousy one and only lasts until the first other occupant opens the windows again. Just to answer few other question posted: Nope, it is not the metal that rubs the paint. It is the dust between the bottom seal and the car body. Nobody can help with that dust settling there. The fix should have been a flexible O section rubber gasket like other car manufactuers do in that area. This is a 04 X3 perhaps one of the very first ones in Canada. The Tech Protect thing as we;ll as Carbaflo or other wonders help for about two weeks then I need to clean it and add new stuff.

as for the advice that dealer some dealers give of not applying anything as this will worsen the problem, bear in mind that some do some actually advise using the Carbaflo. The bottom line is that either way, they are not addressing the issue and nor is the latest STB and the transparent teflon tape is someting that would make any other car competitor laugh hard...C-mon BMW... teflon tape arouhnd the doors with a brand new car delivered from factory? Bleah...

I mean we're talking car door seals not something complicated.. If they aren't able to design or fix that sort of stuff, what should we expect if the tranny dies...

Also, one thing that the dealer didn't change yet is the rubber around the windows and that is not covered in any STB to date and I have the full list for X3 which I also posted few weeks ago. These seals are so sticky the windows have trouble opening , so I assume the rubber is of poor quality.

Yes, I opened a ticket with BMW Canada and they arranged a visit to the dealer. The dealer shaked his head in awe and apparently agreed to fix the scratches but they are trying to address now the seal problem before they make any attempt to repair the paint or it will be useless. Anyway, good job on X3 BMW, Good job on attempting to foix the seals too. I hope they don't set up a trend there...

I any case, I hope I did not bother much with my rant but for those who don't see beyond the seal trouble today there is more in store for you if you leave it undone: scratched doors, failing door window lifting mechanisms (mine died one day when the window got glued to the seals and the motor quit pulling it down- dealer replaced it free) and eventually ripped seals wich will cost you a fortune to replace once your car is in extended or out of warranty as mine is.

Nick