Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-18-2007, 01:53 AM
ST:TOS Fan

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0 Si
Day Six: Further Impressions

You'll note that, for Wingspan's benefit -- and the benefit of others, I have decided to eschew my usual square brackets in favor of ovoid parentheticals.

So, what do I have to say this time around?

(1) I found out that, due to having some sort of "intermittent signal" garage door opener, I had to use the "alternate procedure" outlined in the owner's manual. It was a bit Keystone Kops-ish to have to reset the buttons under the mirror, run around the car, run up a ladder, and press a separate transmitter button on the actual door-raising unit (NOT the button on the garage door opening transmitter) . . . then having to get back down the ladder, around the back of the car, back into the driver's seat and then press the #1 button 3x in succession (oh, and that all has to be done in 30 seconds -- they recommend a second person to help out, but I think I just squeaked in ahead of the deadline). It sounds completely wacky, but damned if it didn't work.

(2) Despite what I said on day #2, my X3's a thirsty girl. (I'm not entirely sure if it's early-break-in, my lead foot, my wife's lead foot, or our 4,500' altitude up in the Reno area). It's no big deal either way, as I had read the MPG averages up front.)) We're probably "averaging" about 21 m.p.g., with which I can live.

(3) I'm finding that even though I bought the car "for me," I then think about my wife taking her nephews up to an amusement park and I just feel I want them in the X3, not the RAV4. So I wind up driving it a bit less than I had imagined. ;-)
Ads by Google
Old 08-18-2007, 06:28 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hofmeister_NV View Post
(2) Despite what I said on day #2, my X3's a thirsty girl. (I'm not entirely sure if it's early-break-in, my lead foot, my wife's lead foot, or our 4,500' altitude up in the Reno area). It's no big deal either way, as I had read the MPG averages up front.)) We're probably "averaging" about 21 m.p.g., with which I can live.
It [could] (be) [[the]] fuel [too].

10% ethanol does wonders for the fuel economy. Hills, start stop. .. Be glad you are getting 21.

Our Miata only gets about 21 in ATL city driving. Goes way up on the days I hit the interstate.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I don't know about the '07 but in the earlier versions there seems to be a noticable improvement in gas milage after 10K. I suspect you will also see better milage as the engine runs in and all the parts smooth out more. You also may want to consider changing the oil and filter before the "free" BMW service too. I changed mine at 6500 without resetting the indicator, then had the "normal" service at the scheduled milage. I now have over 20K trouble free miles and have really begun to appreciate the car/truck. It is a joy to drive and I am very pleased with it. My wife unfortunately hates the ride which she considers harsh and spine crunching over potholes and serious expansion joints. Oh well you can't please everyone!
Old 08-18-2007, 09:14 AM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hofmeister_NV View Post
You'll note that, for Wingspan's benefit -- and the benefit of others, I have decided to eschew my usual square brackets in favor of ovoid parentheticals.

So, what do I have to say this time around?

(1) I found out that, due to having some sort of "intermittent signal" garage door opener, I had to use the "alternate procedure" outlined in the owner's manual. It was a bit Keystone Kops-ish to have to reset the buttons under the mirror, run around the car, run up a ladder, and press a separate transmitter button on the actual door-raising unit (NOT the button on the garage door opening transmitter) . . . then having to get back down the ladder, around the back of the car, back into the driver's seat and then press the #1 button 3x in succession (oh, and that all has to be done in 30 seconds -- they recommend a second person to help out, but I think I just squeaked in ahead of the deadline). It sounds completely wacky, but damned if it didn't work.

(3) I'm finding that even though I bought the car "for me," I then think about my wife taking her nephews up to an amusement park and I just feel I want them in the X3, not the RAV4. So I wind up driving it a bit less than I had imagined. ;-)
Mileage on my ZHP vert keeps improving as she breaks in - I'm at 8000 miles and currently averaging 24.5 MPG - not bad for a relatively heavy convertible with performance tires and a roof almost always in the down position

Ed

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 08-18-2007, 11:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie View Post
It [could] (be) [[the]] fuel [too].

10% ethanol does wonders for the fuel economy. Hills, start stop. .. Be glad you are getting 21.
Funny you say that about ethanol, when ever I use gas with 10% ethanol my mileage drops so I stay away from the gas that has ethsnol.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 08-18-2007, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3, 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
Funny you say that about ethanol, when ever I use gas with 10% ethanol my mileage drops so I stay away from the gas that has ethsnol.
cheers
vern
WOW. All I can find here in the mid-west is gas with 10% ethanol added...
Old 08-18-2007, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: '07 X3, '03 Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
cheers
vern
Thats because ethanol has less energy content than gas--I read a test on a GM flex-fuel truck that was tested on 100% gasoline then E85( 85% ethanol)--the mileage was a full 30% lower with the E85. Ethanol as an auto fuel is just another one of George W's pipe dreams..--all it does is raise the price of corn and everything else that eats corn..check beef and milk prices lately..???
Old 08-18-2007, 11:49 PM
I hate doing dishes

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
I don't know about the '07 but in the earlier versions there seems to be a noticable improvement in gas milage after 10K. I suspect you will also see better milage as the engine runs in and all the parts smooth out more. You also may want to consider changing the oil and filter before the "free" BMW service too.
My mileage also improved noticeably after about 10K. The extra oil change won't hurt either

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman103099 View Post
WOW. All I can find here in the mid-west is gas with 10% ethanol added...
Same here in Ft. Worth. I attribute that to lower mileage figures. I hate Ethanol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug01 View Post
Thats because ethanol has less energy content than gas--I read a test on a GM flex-fuel truck that was tested on 100% gasoline then E85( 85% ethanol)--the mileage was a full 30% lower with the E85. Ethanol as an auto fuel is just another one of George W's pipe dreams.. --all it does is raise the price of corn and everything else that eats corn..check beef and milk prices lately..???
I believe it was politicians in general that started all that BS. Seems the uninformed will believe anything .

Ethanol is just another unrealistic myth. To use all our available resources for Ethanol would only yeild 12% of the fuel needs of the US. It will never be our answer to dependence on foreign oil. And as you stated dug01, only drive up the costs of everything else dependent on corn.

Have you seen this?

Old 08-19-2007, 07:07 AM
HMFIC

Mein Auto: 2002 ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishniknork View Post
My mileage also improved noticeably after about 10K. The extra oil change won't hurt either

Same here in Ft. Worth. I attribute that to lower mileage figures. I hate Ethanol

I believe it was politicians in general that started all that BS. Seems the uninformed will believe anything .

Ethanol is just another unrealistic myth. To use all our available resources for Ethanol would only yeild 12% of the fuel needs of the US. It will never be our answer to dependence on foreign oil. And as you stated dug01, only drive up the costs of everything else dependent on corn.

Have you seen this?

I love watching 20/20's Myth's, Lies, & Downright Stupidity, with John Stossel. Awesome show.

Back to the X3.....My mileage has been improving over time as well. For the first few hundred miles I was averaging around 18. Now I'd say I'm averaging around 21-22. This with a mix of driving.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to stangmatt66
Mein Auto: '07 BMW X3 3.0si
I keep reading about you guys complaining about 21mpg in an SUV when I would kill for that in my Mazda RX-8, it only gets 17mpg. I can't wait to get rid of it when my X3 arrives!
2007 X3 3.0si - ED 07/30/07 :: Montego Blue :: Sand/Black Nevada Leather :: Brushed Aluminum :: Steptronic :: Premium :: Heated Steering Wheel :: Heated Front Seats :: Premium Audio :: Navigation :: Xenons :: 18" Wheels

ED Timeline:
07/30 - Picked up in Munich, 08/02 - Dropped off in Munich, 08/16 - Set sail aboard the Boheme, 09/09 - Boheme arrived in Port Hueneme, CA, 09/18 - Redelivery

MSBCreations.com \ tumblr