Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 335xi 6MT 4door
Cowl & lower windshield strip replaced (E39)

If you've replaced the windshield cover already, you've done about 1/2 the job; check out your lower flashing and you'll likely see some major cracking issues too.

Also, remove your engine cover and see what's left of your cowl--the burning rubber you smell when you turn on your air is likely caused by the deterioaration of this rubber cover which encapsulates the air ducts from your engine compartment leading too your cabin.

For e39 540i:

cowl part #: 51 718 157 446 ($32)
cowl flashing/lower windshield strip part #: 51 718 159 292 ($72)

tools needed: screwdriver (for prying); 13mm socket; 15mm socket; phillips head; rubber mallet and some tool (for removal of the driver's side wiper control arm).

The tools are for the flashing and wiper arm removal; no tools are necessary for the cowl replacement.

Here are some pics of the compartment where the cowl should be, but in serious disrepair and mostly missing. Compare this pic to the "after" pic of the engine compartment below! Also, I'm pointing to the remaining portion of the cowl in one pic. And in another pic are the new cowl and the stuff I pulled out of the compartment that WAS the old cowl:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0460.jpg
Views:	3343
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	118729   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0462.jpg
Views:	3078
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	118730   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0464.jpg
Views:	3335
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	118731  

'07 335xi 6-spd 4dr, Montego blue
'98 540i 6-spd Sport, Jet Black II(sold)
'92 325i 5-spd 4dr, burgundy(sold)

Last edited by Waveho; 08-22-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Advertisement