Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
DICE Adapter

I have a 2007 X3 with navigation. I am interested in the DICE adapter. I've searched te forum and see a lot of problems with install. I'd buy this device if I had assurance that it would be easy to setup. I don't want to throw a Saturday away messing around with something that doesn't work.

Any idea if this is as easy as some of the people selling the devices say it is?

The trunk mount is fine as I have a 30GB iPod, a Nano and a Shuffle so I figure I'll put the 30GB model in the car.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2007, 06:44 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Not difficult if you have a rudimentary understanding of wiring. And, the right tools available to you.

I would suggest going to a HI End installer and having them do it for $60. Most of the time that cost covers removal as well when you sell or trade back the vehicle.

Completing a wiring job like this can be fun and very rewarding. However since I do it all day I prefer to spend time with my little girl and wife rather than sounding like an old Yosemite Sam cartoon.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 08-22-2007, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Not difficult if you have a rudimentary understanding of wiring. And, the right tools available to you.
I have the same question. I've held off until I could get a sense if anyone had any positive experiences with it -- they all seem to be quite negative in terms of quality and stability -- but I didn't get the sense that the install was that complicated. I thought it was plug and play pretty much? I installed the Sirius adapter and was frustrated at having to take partially apart the dash to swap one plug for another, but it didn't require anything that I'd consider to be wiring. Is the DICE unit different? What kind of wiring is required? What kind of tools? I thought it was simply a matter of pulling up on the center tray, finding the correct wire, and plugging the DICE in?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
I bought the DICE ipod adapter for the trunk (without HD Radio kit) for my 2007 X3 with premium sound and navigation.

The install wasn't so bad, just figuring out how to pull apart everything took some time.

Only thing is that I dont get any sound... argggg
2007 X3 3.0si Minivan / Alpine White / Black Leatherette / Brushed Aluminum / Steptronic Transmission / Navi / Xenons / Premium Sound / 18" 205-Style Wheels / Ordered 4/4, Production complete 4/16, ED Pickup 5/15, ED Dropoff 5/24, Arrived on Integrity 6/17, VPC 6/19, Released to Carrier 7/9, Re-Delivery 7/12!
Old 08-22-2007, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto:
This is EXACTLY that I'm concerned about. I've bought many items only to find that getting it to actually work and stay working negates any conviences or comfort actually derived from the upgrade. You end up wasting half a Saturday with no results.

I'm a technology executive and know my way around tech stuff well and half the stuff you buy is hit or miss.

The web sites that sell this item talk about how easy it is to plug in and use. I just don't see a lot of glowing feedback that this what people are experiencing.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
you could always install the new Alpine Head Unit and have your Ipod directly interface with it via USB just like a computer.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 08-23-2007, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si Step PP
I had mine installed by Best Buy for something like 50$. Took them under an hour to do it (with a little help from the various printouts I had from the numerous Dice install threads here on Bimmerfest.com).
Old 08-27-2007, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: MY13 X5 3.5i Prem.
I bought the DICE kit w/HD radio when it came out last year and had nothing but problems with it. The install was fairly easy and took me about 30 mins or so to complete. However the stability of the unit was horrific. They sent me 5 different units, none of which worked for more than 10 mins before freezing or becoming unresponsive. It was a great idea and I would have liked to have had HD radio, but I just plug my iPod into the AUX jack in the back and have a power cord for my iPod as well. Cost = $25 and works every time. Beats the $200+ (don't remember what it cost) that I paid for the DICE never to have it work properly.

Oh, their tech support was very helpful and even stayed on the phone with me while installing one of the replacements to make sure everything was done properly and I wasn't being an idiot and missing something. However after the last one didn't work they just said "We don't know what's wrong, just return it to where you purchased it and we'll notify you if we ever get a fix"