Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 06-30-2007, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530I
Where do I find the instructions to replace the fsr on my 2003 530I?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 530iA
My blower has a mind of it's own. Called the dealer 'cus I'm CPO'd. As I was explaining it to him he says "yep, I know what it is. Should just take a few minutes." I'm sure they get these all the time. Bringing it in Monday.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Wrenchin' fool ...

Mein Auto: e39 528it
Great post Elvis. ordering mine from Bavauto ASAP ... and it hasn't even failed yet.

2000 528iT Sport 5M (mfg. 5/1999) ~ 1990 325iX 5M
BMW CCA member #130075
JScottRacing
Old 08-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Paid in Full!

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci
Talking On my way to a blower moter replacement

Thanks a million to ELLLLLLLLLVIIIIIIIIISSS! & all other successful chaps with the detailed replacement info! I will be receiving via UPS the Final stage / Blower moter part. I got it from Bimmer whole sale parts.com for $70.00, i can't wait to get controlable A/C for right now & heat in the colder months!
I'm OUT Clones,
~D-Rock
Old 08-04-2007, 03:29 AM

Mein Auto: 523i
Elvis, your instructions are fantastic! My 523i had always had a noisy air conditioning system. I thought it was poor design and was quite disappointed. One day it packed in. I found these superb instructions, went to get the part and stopped at the supermarket. Being the impatient type, I fitted the part in the car park and then...it all worked, but quietly. Thanks a lot. Please keep writing.
Andes, 523i 2000.

Last edited by Andes; 08-04-2007 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Had not mentioned the author of the instructions.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
Final Stage Resistor Install 2001 325i

I use this site all the time and benefit from all the great advise. So here's my contribution....I couldn't find detailed instructions on how to change out the Final Resistor (FSR) so it took me awhile to figure it out on my own. This is definantly a DIY job. All you need is phillips screwdriver, flathead screwdriver, hexhead screwdriver, and a flashlight. The part cost me $111.62 at the dealer. It has been updated from the original design. My symptoms where; started with the blower blowing at variable speeds on it own. Made some wierd noises. Then one day it just stopped working. The lights on controls still worked fine, and I could hear the compressor kicking on, just no air blowing. Before replacing the part, first check the fuses (fuse #50).

Here we go....
1. The FSR is located on the passenger side beneath the dash (if you are sitting in the passenger seat it will be up above your left foot).
2. Remove the glove box. First open the glove box and remove the three screws along the top. There are two more screws tucked back in (just look with your flashlight, you can't miss them). Now close the glove box and there are some screws underneath that will need to be removed. I believe there are six screws (two near the front and four that hold the brackets on). Once all the screws are removed, rattle the glovebox a bit and pull towards you. It should come out very easily. There will be two harnesses connected to the glove box that you need to disconnect. That should be it. --Five minutes--
3. Behind where the glove box came out, you will see a black flat platic piece that needs to be removed. Start by pulling on the right side of it (straight towards you, not down), and then the left side has a clip. Once the right side is pulled out, you can push on the left side and it will unclip. Disconnect the light harness. That should be it. --One minute--
4. Now, for the fun part. You will see the foot air supply vent up and to the left (you need to lay on your back and look up with flashlight. A little above and behind the foot vent you will see the FSR. There are two harnesses you need to disconnect (one connected to the FSR, which can be disconnected by squeezing the two side clips and pulling and the other is small one that is attached to the same wiring). --Three minutes--
5. Take a beer break.... --Five minutes--
6. In order to get to the FSR you will have to remove a couple more pieces. The first is a black plastic round looking thing that is obstructing access to the FSR. Unclip the bottom of it first and then stick a small flathead screwdriver on the top of it to push down the plastic tab holding the other end in. Now there is another plastic piece that needs to be removed. There are two hexhead screws holding this on. The first is easy to see and get to (it's on the bottom right of this piece). The second took me some time find. You really have to put your neck at an uncomfortable angle. It is on top left of this piece and is very difficult to see (shine your light back there and you will see it shining). You need about a six-inch extension to get back in there to remove it (I would suggest a magnetic head so you do not drop and lose the screw). Now, the black piece in front of the FSR should slide out (be careful, there is a platic link that connects to this piece and operates the flap DO NOT BREAK IT). It does not need to be disconnected or removed, just push it to the side. --15 minutes--
7. Now it's time to pull out the faulty FSR. The only thing holding this in at this point is the one clip. There's not much room to push the clip back far enough, so use a flathead screwdriver to get inbetween the plastic clip and the FSR and use a little muscle. The FSR should slide right out (might have to wiggle it back and forth a little bit). --Five minutes--
8. You're ready to install the new FSR. Plug it in first and turn on the car to confirm the problem has been resolved.
9. Now follow the steps in reverse and put it back together.

This job took me about two hours, but I took apart both the driver and passenger side to find this thing. If you follow the steps above, I don't think it should take you any longer that an hour to an hour and half. Just be patient and don't break anything.

I hope this helps. Sorry I don't have any photographs. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2007, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
Final Stage Resistor Install 2001 325i (con't...)

One more thing....the 3 series instructions are different from the 5 series instructions that are provided earlier in this thread. The instructions I have posted are for a 3 series.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Paid in Full!

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci
Smile Replaced the FSR

[QUOTE=juicy5;2552930]I use this site all the time and benefit from all the great advise. So here's my contribution....I couldn't find detailed instructions on how to change out the Final Resistor (FSR) so it took me awhile to figure it out on my own. This is definantly a DIY job. All you need is phillips screwdriver, flathead screwdriver, hexhead screwdriver, and a flashlight. The part cost me $111.62 at the dealer. It has been updated from the original design. My symptoms where; started with the blower blowing at variable speeds on it own. Made some wierd noises. Then one day it just stopped working. The lights on controls still worked fine, and I could hear the compressor kicking on, just no air blowing. Before replacing the part, first check the fuses (fuse #50).

QUOTE]

Thanks bro! I did 10% of the job & then i got very lucky. A friend of mine just gratuated BMW mechanics school & now works at a Washington, D.C. metro BMW dealer.

Needless to say he hooked me up
.....I'VE GOT A/C Again......
Old 08-10-2007, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: E39 530 SPORT
My fan just stopped completely with no sign of it misbehaving before - and just before this years hottest weekend. Couldn't face the weekend with no A/C so thought I'd check it out.

First I checked the heater blower fuse #76 - this is not on the main fuse board, but you need to remove the trim panel under the glovebox - just slide forward toward you. Look for two pairs of big leads and the large fuses are on the other side of the carriers - you can't see the fuses. Fuse fine so I decided to pick up this thread and change the final stage resistor and see what happened

These are Superb instructions - those with RHD note Quicksilver28's post - you need to be in drivers footwell if RHD and the FSR is about 2" above and forward of the screw you take out for the console side carpet removal.

Sorted - 50GBP for part, 15 minute job. Done.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 525i
My car's alternator went out within 2 weeks of installing the Final Stage unit. Same week, my A/C stops blowing cold air. Is this a coincidence?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
I just wanted to add my "THANKS-A-MILLION" for the perfect instructions. I knew the fan staying on intermittently and tonite the battery was dead so I found this post on the web and followed the directions. I have a little blood on my wrist and laughed my ass off when I read the guy's post about "burning your forehead". Thats exactly what I did as the resistor dropped down and concked me on the head. I'll get a new part tomorrow. At least the car will start in the morning. What a great post. Much appreciated!
Old 09-03-2007, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: E39 525D Sport
Final Stage Unit

Thanks for the fantastic instructions! Just changed my FSU on RHD 525d, took about 30 mins as you have to remove the panel around the pedals. Air con now works like a dream!
Old 09-04-2007, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 03 330CI
Great post
Old 09-07-2007, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 528i - 2000
Replacing FSU

The instructions posted to replace FSU in 530 would be same for 528i?
Old 09-10-2007, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: 325i Wagon
Final Stage on a 325i Wagon?

Been studying all these great posts...have the same problem as everyone here. The AC just shuts down and doesn't turn back on. Of course on the hotest days only. I ordered the new FS but when I looked at my set up under the glove box it is a bit different. If anyone has any tips - I'd appreciate it!
Old 09-12-2007, 12:34 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 540i
Hey guys,

Is there anyway to test the FSU to verify its integrity? My a/c works fine, but I read somewhere that "About 90% of the dead battery problem's" are solved by replacing this part. But I don't have any of the "uncontrollable a/c blower" symptom's, just a parasitic draw of about 4amp's....

Any thought's would be very much appreciated,

Regards,
~Ed
Old 09-12-2007, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 528iTa
Elvis, you are the BEST!

thanks for the very detailed inx on how to make this repair.

It WAS a bit of a b@$+ard to get to, but everything pretty much went exactly as you related.

Well, except for the yanking out of the cover under the glove compartment... I managed to snap off the white tabs on the back-left. No real harm done, however, as it is out of sight and the cover stays up just fine without that support. Still, a caveat for others who might undertake this task.

Again, many thanks. You rock!

Tom
2002 BMW 525i
Old 09-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Future car is a 7 Series!

Mein Auto: 2001 530i Charcoal Grey
Hello All,

Well, I was having the dead battery-after a jump-buy a new battery syndrome. After doing my research Here and There...I finally bought and replaced the FSR today. Took about 15min or so...not too hard especially when you are upside down on your back and the passenger seat all the way back and reclined.
So, let's how long this last....hopefully no more dead batteries...

I'll edit soon...

Frank
Old 09-15-2007, 05:19 PM

Angry Following Juicy5's Instructions...but!!!!!

Referring to Juicy5's instructions which are great and easy to follow...up to step 6. I cannot get nor see that second torx head screw holding the black piece in front of the FSR. My neck is aching as i type! I can see the FSR and can see if I can get this piece out of the way I can replace it. So frustrated. Any suggestions!
Old 09-15-2007, 11:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530
I just finished this job. Took me 3 hours, and my fingers are sore as all hell, but it was worth the $200.00 i saved by not taking it to the dealer and the satisfaction of fixing my car on my own. The job should have took only 30 min, but i spent 2.5 hours just trying to get the wires unplugged from the FSU. for some reason, my clamps wouldn't come off of the FSU, no matter how hard i squeezed. I ended up removing the FSU first, then using pliers to disconnect the plugs...pain in the ass. after that, took all of 10 min to complete the job (including testing and putting everything back together).

Ziegelman....I actually never saw the piece holding the FSU in place. i took my laptop down to my car and looked at the pictures, and tried to orient myself based on that, then just felt up there to release the FSU. I looked and identified "land marks" as it were, ie the case that says valeo, and the tube next to that. Since i could see those things, i just felt up behind them where the release should have been until the FSU began to slide out.

I hope that helps

Elvis...you fully rock!!!!
Old 09-16-2007, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelman View Post
Referring to Juicy5's instructions which are great and easy to follow...up to step 6. I cannot get nor see that second torx head screw holding the black piece in front of the FSR. My neck is aching as i type! I can see the FSR and can see if I can get this piece out of the way I can replace it. So frustrated. Any suggestions!
I followed the first post here from Elvis530i with all the pictures and they worked for me step by step. Do make sure you slide and pull out the cover under the glove box, it makes things easier.
The only screw or torx you need to remove is for the side panel and that's it. It is somewhat a tight space trying to squeeze the clamps on both sides of the resistor but you have to just keep trying...I had just a little difficulty, just try to squeeze both side and wiggle the unit up and down and try left to right also and it should pull out. Make sure you use your Right hand because you also have to pull away on the bottom a clip that holds the resistor in place. once you pull that away the resistor should pull out.

Good luck...

-Frank.

I also took my laptop out to my car for assistance.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:57 PM

Got - It - FSR replaced!

FSR Unit $78

New Torx screwdriver set - $12

Chiropracter - $45

The fact that I fixed this thing with all of your help - PRICELESS

The torx screw is at the very top - HINT to all - don't try to find it while you are on your back - If you go in and shine a light while you are on your stomach you can see it.

Thanks Juicy5 and Elvis for the fantastic posts.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
I just want to wake up this old thread with a few questions.
(My FSR works fine so far):

1. How often does this FSR fail at 100K miles? 10%, 40%
2. Has anyone had the Original FSR at let's say 160K miles?

3. I hate to get stuck somewhere away from home with no AC Heat...so sould I buy the FSR for $70.00 and store it in the glovebox? or just change it out anyway considering that I have close to 100K miles???

cn90
98 528i 96K miles
Old 09-25-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01_530i_4me View Post
Hello All,

Well, I was having the dead battery-after a jump-buy a new battery syndrome. After doing my research Here and There...I finally bought and replaced the FSR today. Took about 15min or so...not too hard especially when you are upside down on your back and the passenger seat all the way back and reclined.
So, let's how long this last....hopefully no more dead batteries...

I'll edit soon...

Frank

Almost 2 weeks and no problems at all! woo hoo!!! Thank for all the great step-by-step with pictures!
Old 09-25-2007, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i
This is a great post. I wish I had the time to do some search on the internet as some of you guys did. I know know where to find the information next time around.

From various posts I could see that this FSR unit is pretty easy to break. I wonder if any forumite could relate to what I just went through.

My wife took my 2001 540i for a regular maintenance visit to the local dealership (Otto BWM in Ottawa). The AC and fan were working fine in the morning. We didn't have any problem at all with the air and AC.

We did the usual maintenance (oil change, coolant flush, etc). When my wife was driving it back home after picking up the car, she notice nothing was coming even after she turned on the AC and the fan speed to maximum. I suspected the mechanic forgot to re-connect some electrical wires after he did the work, so I met my wife mid-way and drove it back to the dealership.

Two minutes after I explained to the receptionist guy, he came back to explain to me that the "fan electrical control unit" was broken and went on to explain to me the various symptoms with it prior to the break down. I explained to him that it was working fine up until my wife brought it in for service this morning. Anyway, long story short, I reluctantly agreed to have it replaced because it just happened that day was super hot and I realized I had to get it fixed one way or the other. At the end, the cost was 200$ -- 100 for the part (the FSR unit) and labour.

That guy swore that the works done earlier had nothing to do with the fan/AC system so they refuse to take responsibility. I am still convinced the dealership screwed up the unit but I couldn't find any proof. I would like to hear if someone has similar stories about this.

Cheers,

Bill