Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 09-29-2007, 11:15 PM
tom x e36

Send a message via AIM to tomxe36
Mein Auto: 1995 325i
Question Door Locks

I have a 325i and I can lock my door (locks all the doors) but I cant unlock :[ i can pull it up but it goes back down . Help ?
Old 09-29-2007, 11:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomxe36 View Post
I have a 325i and I can lock my door (locks all the doors) but I cant unlock :[ i can pull it up but it goes back down . Help ?
Try using the other key cylinders like the passenger.What happens is that is sees a lock request or a door ajar.Typically its a door switch faulty,but it could also be a switch on the drivers door lock cylinder (there are 2 microswitches behind there depending on wether or not you have heated theres 3)Try unlocking the drivers side,then lock it from the trunk.If it still jumps,move to the passenger door.If not open the trunk once more,the wire harness on the trunklid going down into the vehicle needs your inspection.Look for broken wires there.Are there any other issues along with this problem that you failed to mention like the lights not working(license plate)? Try those first.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: '95 M3
Thanks!

Excellent advice - which I wish I had seen sooner . . . it took me ages to figure out that the switch on the driver's door was erratic. Turns out to have been corrosion in the two-wire connector - for the life of me, I can't see where there has been any leakage. Suggestions?

TIA, Larry F.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:00 PM
tom x e36

Thanks! dude ill try it.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry F. View Post
Excellent advice - which I wish I had seen sooner . . . it took me ages to figure out that the switch on the driver's door was erratic. Turns out to have been corrosion in the two-wire connector - for the life of me, I can't see where there has been any leakage. Suggestions?

TIA, Larry F.
well,"yous" guys get a lot of rain,just make sure that your drains work properly and there is no area where water could reside and evaporate.Check your lifting pads and install new ones if missing.They are one area where water could stay and when heat comes,they find themselves around wirings and connectors as they evaporate.Rain water and snow are the most common causes of these wire problems.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:03 PM
tom x e36

No luck for me :[ , I first unlocked the it from the drivers side and then locked it from the trunk and it still didnt work . And then I tried ulocking it from the passengers side and then locking it from the trunk and it didnt work either . Help please :[ I almost got stuck in the car
Old 10-02-2007, 03:30 AM

set the dome light to turn on when doors are opened.open one door at a time and locate the switch located inside the striker (door jamb/b-pillar/door entrance) where the latch latches on to.See if there is a door switch that is faulty confusing your central locking system.You will find the switch housed inside the opening of the striker.Check all doors first and check the trunklid also while youre at it and open the fuel door to see if the lock rod misses the slot causing the locks to jump.Eliminate any of these possibilities,also do you have an alarm installed? report back with findings please.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:26 PM
tom x e36

nope no alarm for me
Old 10-02-2007, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: E36, Imola ZHP
im having trouble with my trunk lock. it will lock and unlock when i use the regular doors but my key will not turn when i try to use the trunk button. do you think its the lock or just the acctuator?
Old 10-04-2007, 12:00 PM
tom x e36

dont work :[ ... my driver side is always stuck like I can lock it when im inside the car and then I cant pull up the thing and unlock
Old 10-04-2007, 12:17 PM

Send a message via MSN to Droopy9
Mein Auto: 1993 BMW 318i
it sound to me that you have a faulty actuator (trunk).
If you lock the trunk, the door will lock automatically so when you try to open the driver door of any other door with the key, it will open for few second and lock itself again.

Good luck!!!!