Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 10-30-2007, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: 318I
1993 318I Heat problem. help I am freezing

Hi. This last 2 Days I found a new problem with my 1993 BMW 318I and I need to fix it fast. Here are the symptom,, I need to Defrost Front Windshield so I turn the Car on and let it run for 10 Minutes, Engine Temp is normal and Fan Works, Controls set to heat but there is not Hot Air Coming out. When I start Driving, then the heat starts to come out. when I come to Stop or Idle, once again Cold Air. It is bad when it's cold outside and you are trying to stay warm. I have new Water pump, No Over heating problem. I am suspecting the Control Valve in the Engine Compartment but I don't understand why I have heat when I drive. Has anyoneelse had this problem. Are there valves inside the car that I need to check. Appriciate any help.. Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 10-30-2007, 06:23 PM
Do I Offend?

Send a message via Yahoo to greenbeem
Mein Auto: 1994 318iC
I don't know if this will help but do you have this knob, and is it set to the red position.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent Knob.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	125590

She's good, but I keep finding Barbie doll's under the hood.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:24 PM
World Traveller Forever

Mein Auto: 1992 BMW 325ic M Technic
Hmm?

Someone ever check to see if you actually HAVE a thermostat in there? ( In the thermostat housing..)
You need one if there isn't one in there.

"Swimming with the sharks" All over this World...I'll see you in the next one.,,yeahhhh.... AND DON"T BE LATE,,,, DON"T BE LAAATTEE!
Old 10-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Do I Offend?

Thermostat or not, the coolant still warms up. It would just take longer for the engine to warm up because the coolant is circulating as soon as the engine is running.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Do I Offend?

Disregard that please, my brain is stuck in "first" tonight.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 328is, 2001 750is
Nope. You got air in the coolant system. You know how to bleed it out?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 94 BMW 325is
I have bled and bled my cooling system over and over..and my car is still doing this very same thing. The coolant level isnt dropping. I get warm air going down the road and it gets cold when i come to a stop. I'd guess that your car has air trapped in the system or the heater valve is bad. I have pretty much decided that my heater valve is shot or the heater core is partially clogged.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:57 AM

I try to bleed it today but When Icome to a stop and REV the Engine Up, then Hot air comes out but when the Rev comes down, the cold air comes out again. Heat Valve can be tested outside the System. I won't change it until I am 100% sure that is bad. Core being clogged is a possibility but when you get hot air at all, kind of makes me think that is OK.

I froze my rear this morning.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: E36 M3 Cabrio
Possible answer

hi there, you may have a clogged internal temperature sensor. Have a good look at the climate head unit and clean out all the muck from the sensor. I had the same trouble, but it turned out the sensor was reading interal temp (nice and cosy from the radio/dash) whilst I was freezing!

Hope this helps?
Old 10-31-2007, 09:28 AM

I will check the sensor. During Lunch I popped the hood up and I noticed that I very low on Anti Freeze and I hope that is the reason why this is happening. AIR probably is the problem. When I changed the water pump a while back, Icould not understand why I didn't need as much coolant than I put in, I hope that is the problem. I don't think heating Core is blocked because I maintain my coolant very well. Either A Valve or Air in the system due to low coolant could be causing this but, over the weekend I will have a better idea.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:10 AM

I think My low Coolant was the problem. I opened up the Bleeder valve on top and added 1/2 gallon of liquid and the heat seems to have come back. I have to wait for cold day to make sure. I might have a slow leak somewhere in the system. Thanks for your help fellows.