Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 10-19-2007, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 330i 04
Chance to buy M3, need inputs!

Hi guys, new member here.. please be nice to me

Anyway I'm in the market for a new car, and found this stock 99 e36 M3 with 59K on it. He said he's the second owner and bought the car when it was 6 months old. He's asking for $17,450.

I asked him to have a mechanic check the car and here's what the mechanic comes up with.

inner tie rod
swaybar
rear trailing arms bushing
thermostat
timing belt
front brake pads
head gasket
bottom engine cover broken (i dont know what's this?)

He said he would lower the price based on the cost to change the thermostat and timing belt. And the mechanic said other then the thermostat and timing belt, they all still OK for another 15K-20K or 1-2 years.

So my questions are
1. Do you think he's asking to much? If yes how much should he lower the price to?
2. Should I talk to him to replace all the things that need to be replaced and pay him his asking price?
3. Other than the thermostat and timing belt, what's the most important thing that needs to be replaced?

any kind of inputs would be great.

Thanks!!
Ads by Google
Old 10-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
Welcome to the fest

The thing that alarms me is the head gasket. What is wrong with it?

If the head gasket needs doing then this is a MAJOR job and would worry me a lot. Is there oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil? if so then that needs to be done ASAP, not in 1-2 year buddy

Also, it does not have a timing belt, they are all chain driven and these should never ever need replacing. Does he mean the Auxiliary belt?

Edirty6 for life
Old 10-19-2007, 08:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 325is, 97 Ranger
Here is a book value for that year in a good condition!
http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pric...uizConditions=
With they do sell for more but if you need to do all this work I would offer him around K10-K12 top! I would go somewhere else to get another opinion on this! Its kind of unheard of 99 bmw with K56 miles on having all these problems!
Old 10-19-2007, 08:32 PM
<----MY girl....

Send a message via AIM to jh1328
Mein Auto: e36 325i
i would steer clear...look for something around 14...i found one here for 13,999 in PERFECT condition...it was a 97 i think but it was gorgeous and well-kept. keep looking and youll find a better deal, but its up to you. its just..for 17, you could almost save up for 23-25 and get an e46 m3
Old 10-19-2007, 10:36 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 325is, 97 Ranger
Isn't the truth that e36 m3 is the lightest m3 ever made?
Old 10-20-2007, 03:47 AM
BMW FETISH!!!

Send a message via MSN to DominguesE30
Mein Auto: `97 BMW 318is
i dont know mate, but im pretty sure the e30 m3 is lighter by ALOT

Beeeeeeeee Eeeeem Double-YOU!!!!
Old 10-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Vert Owners Do It Topless

Mein Auto: 1995 320i Convertible
Just read a very interesting article in a UK BMW monthly magazine on 'buying an M3'. I can scan it and send it to you if you wish If you do then private message me with your email address.

A very warm welcome to the Fest Buddy
E36 320i Convertible - Superchipped - K&N Apollo CAI - Green Stuff Pads - NGK Iridium IX plugs - Pioneer MP3 Headunit - JL Audio Kick Panel Speaker Pods - Wind Deflector - M3 Style Spoiler. 18" Bridgestone 225/40/R18. M Sport type Alloys as fitted on new E90. Alloy Billet Strut Brace, M3 type front bumper, M3 type rear Diffuser. Royal Purple. Hard Top.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: e36 m3
I would steer clear that job in itself is pricey around 2-3 g's if you go to the dealer along with all the other things wrong with it. your probaly better off finding another m3 you can find them around 14-15k with the same amount of miles.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: 94 BMW 325is
First of all I'm really wondering if this "mechanic" even knows what the hell hes talking about.The car only has 59k and it needs all this??

inner tie rod
swaybar
rear trailing arms bushing
thermostat
timing belt
front brake pads
head gasket
bottom engine cover broken (i dont know what's this?)

Personally I think the mechanic is trying rip you off. Him telling you that you need to change the timing belt..which it DOES NOT HAVE! tells me something right off the bat.. This guy obviously is lacking some knowledge about bmws. If you need brake pads, how can they go another 15-20k or 1-2 years?? Same with the Head gasket! That is A MAJOR problem!! That isnt something you can just ignore. You need to take the car to an ASE certified master technicain or atlesat someone who knows about bmw's, -Not some "John's garage" If in fact this car has all these problems, the car isnt worth **** with the head gasket blown alone..not to mention all the other things. All though its a '99 M3 I wouldnt give them more than 10k as is. You'd spend atleast 12-1500 on the Head gasket job alone..not to mention it could have a cracked head(+$3-4k)
Old 11-02-2007, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 bmw 318i
i too

was almost ripped off by a mechanic, telling me i needed the timing belt replaced, when all i really needed was a new idle control valve, knock sensors and an oil change. some of them are crooks.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 94 BMW 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac36067 View Post
was almost ripped off by a mechanic, telling me i needed the timing belt replaced, when all i really needed was a new idle control valve, knock sensors and an oil change. some of them are crooks.
True. There are alot of shady mechanics out there. I being a mechanic, know that most shops pay flat rate(commission). Everytime you get your oil changed, etc. at a place like that pays flat rate- the tech is going to look the car over for anything he can find to make money. Places that pay by the hour- the guys tend to overlook alot more things as they arent worried about doing more work than they have to, unless its something that stands out. I'm guessing this guy recommended the timing belt not really knowing that it in fact uses chains. I'm just wondering how he determined that the head gasket is blown. Did he find oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil? WHite smoke? Or did he go the extra mile and do the compression/leak down tests? If you're really wanting to buy it, you need to get a 2nd opinion elsewhere. If they think it has a blown head gasket, a compression test/Leak down tests should be done to be sure. Thats the only sure way to tell without taking it all apart. I didnt know this before, but when i had the bmw tech help me replace mine, he informed me that the Head bolts like to break and could cause similar problems. You could also have a cracked head or block. And really the only sure way to tell is to have it checked at a machine shop while the head gasket it being replaced. A hairline crack could cause the same symptoms as a hg. So just be aware that you might be looking upwards of $4-5k if thats the case. Not sure about the M3 heads, but I know a new head for my 325is goes for about $2500 without valves/cams.