Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 11-02-2007, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 323i e36 convertible
Question roof prob

i have grief with my convertable elec roof the front lifts up an so does the rear but the storeage cover stays down one thing i have noticed is that you can still open the boot i have been told that you should not be able to do this does this mean the micro switch is faulty an if so where is it located . i have just baught a hardtop but cant fit it till i put the damm roof down.
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2007, 06:47 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Well, since i haven't got the slightest idea in hell what you attempted to say, let me see if I've got it.

When trying to close the top:
-The front of the top lifts as it should
-The rear of the top lifts as it should
-The tonneau cover DOES NOT open
-You can still open the boot (trunk?)

Based on that, no, I don't think the problem is the microswitch. The reason you can open the trunk is because the tonneau cover hasn't opened. Unfortunately, that's about the depth of my knowledge of the top (only experience is when I was playing with them while looking for a vert). So, what you can try is pushing the tonneau cover down all the way, make sure its as far down as it will go (push it down first). Then, just barely place a hand on the cover, and have a friend try to close the top. See if it moves at all. If it does, it sounds like your latch is stuck closed. If it doesn't, it sounds like the motor for the cover isn't engaging at all. There is a sequence to completely reengage the top, you can try pulling the disengage cord, then try the sequence. If that does nothing, sounds like a problem for the stealer to fix. Sorry.
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 11-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Vert Owners Do It Topless

Mein Auto: 1995 320i Convertible
I heard an interesting story the other day - sorry it is late, I have had 2 glasses of red wine, therefore, I cannot remember how it came about ...

Basically, there is a cable that runs alongside the hinge of the boot. Because of the boot opening frequently, this cable rubs and become corroded and can break. If this is the case, then the hood opening sequence is affected because it thinks the boot is open therefore, the roof storage compartment wont open.

It is a long shot but it is worth looking into

As Phantom said, if you really do not want to use the roof this winter then fold it away manually by pulling the dreaded red handle under the back seat, fit your winter hood and try and solve the problem in the Spring/Summer next year.
E36 320i Convertible - Superchipped - K&N Apollo CAI - Green Stuff Pads - NGK Iridium IX plugs - Pioneer MP3 Headunit - JL Audio Kick Panel Speaker Pods - Wind Deflector - M3 Style Spoiler. 18" Bridgestone 225/40/R18. M Sport type Alloys as fitted on new E90. Alloy Billet Strut Brace, M3 type front bumper, M3 type rear Diffuser. Royal Purple. Hard Top.