Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 10-31-2007, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: 325i 4d
Exclamation Oil leaking on plugs HELP

Hey everyone I just change my valve cover gasket due to oil on the plugs. The car was running really bad, I thought after changing the gasket it would run better but the car is still running bad, misfiring every time I get on the gas! I checked the plugs today and I still have oil on them so I got some high temp RTV to try to seal the valves up good but itís still misfiring just not as bad? And I know the coil packs are good because every time I clean the plugs and put them back in it runs fine. Dose any one knows what could be wrong?
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2007, 11:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 328is
Check the tube that your plugs going in to make sure there is no cracks. Or if its not rounded on the end that will cause the seal not to sit properly so it will leak.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 325i 4d
I checked everything seamed to be ok? any thing eles to look at?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 94 BMW 325is
You might have leaky valve stem seals or maybe your rings are worn enough to allow excessive amounts of oil to come from the bottom end. Just a thought.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:32 AM
Turn Burglar

Mein Auto: Red Assless Chaps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andycapps View Post
You might have leaky valve stem seals or maybe your rings are worn enough to allow excessive amounts of oil to come from the bottom end. Just a thought.
ooooooh
Knock on wood!
Old 11-04-2007, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 740IL
HI buddy
I think your engine get some problems on ignition system . If you want to know exactly what the problem is , you have to check step by step . The oil sucks in to the end of the spark plugs are not relating to the misfiring engine .
First of all , you must start your engine up , and disconect the ignition coil one by one , if the enigne RPM drop at the cylinder that you are diconect , that means the spark plug, the ignition coil and the fuel injector are ok . This action to help you know which cylinder cause the engine misfire . for example , you find out the cylinder number one , then you switch over the ignition coil between the cylinder 1 and 2 , then restart the engine up , disconect the ignition coil od the cylinder 2 , if the engine drops the RPM , now you can expect that ignition coil is not good .
Second thing , if you could not find out any problem on your ignition system , yo have to do the compression check for each cylinder .
Hope those thing help you to solve your problems .