Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 11-04-2007, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: 93 325iS
Electrical

Greetings,

Currently I am having a few problems with a number of relays/fuses. I have searched through the web and currently can't find a replacement.
Is there any way for some help in my research.

Unless someone knows a way to actually tests the functionality of the relay using a multi-meter or something of that sort.

Man: Siemens

Relay: (Yellow) Part # 61.36 - 1389 105
Relay: (Blue) Part # 12.62 - 1735 424 (Fuel Pump Relay)
Relay: (Green) Part # 61.36 - 8353 447
Relay: (Purple) Part # 61.36 - 1388 911

---------------------------------------

Also my fuel pump isn't getting any power. I tested the white connector and it doesn't read anything. By chance could this be relay related or is there something else I can check in the mean time?

v/r

- Ed
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to E36FewInNumber
Mein Auto: E46 330i
I fried a fuse once, and found a replacement at autozone. did you look there?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:01 AM
John Firestone

Mein Auto: 1996 318is
In defense of innocent, if not heroic fuses everywhere, I must remark that almost always a problem with a fuse is actually the poor fuse sacrificing itself to spare you from the consequences of a much more costly problem somewhere else, perhaps one that you may have caused.

You could test the relays, if you want, by hooking them up to 12V and measuring the resistance across their contacts. All the BMW relays I have seen have had a little diagram with their pinout. You may need to be careful with polarity as some have diodes.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebadeau View Post
Greetings,

Currently I am having a few problems with a number of relays/fuses. I have searched through the web and currently can't find a replacement.
Is there any way for some help in my research.

Unless someone knows a way to actually tests the functionality of the relay using a multi-meter or something of that sort.

Man: Siemens

Relay: (Yellow) Part # 61.36 - 1389 105
Relay: (Blue) Part # 12.62 - 1735 424 (Fuel Pump Relay)
Relay: (Green) Part # 61.36 - 8353 447
Relay: (Purple) Part # 61.36 - 1388 911

---------------------------------------

Also my fuel pump isn't getting any power. I tested the white connector and it doesn't read anything. By chance could this be relay related or is there something else I can check in the mean time?

v/r

- Ed
CHECK FUSE 18 FIRST it is a 15 Amp fuse

Your MAIN POWER wire to the FUEL PUMP RELAY comes from Pin 6 (Terminal 30/RED wire).Check that first by either back probing it or other ways but without removing the relay.Check to see if you are getting power to Pin 2 on the same relay (Terminal 87/Green with Violet tracer wire).That then powers your fuse # 18.
From your MAIN RELAY,pin 5 (terminal 87a) it energizes the FUEL PUMP RELAY which also sends the signal over to the CONTROL side to power up the PUMP.(This is wire color RED with WHITE tracer)And finally reaches the DME to final stage the PUMP after all the criteria has been met.The DME controls the final stage (speed/fuel delivery) but,the relays control the power.

My suspicion is that your fuse is faulty or the MAIN RELAY.Replace the Main and Fuel Pump RELAYS as a precaution and preventative because they have been known to stick leaving you stranded thinking you need a fuel pump.You may simply need a fuel pump or perhaps a DME because you have water intrusion (another known issue that exhibits spark or fuel problems).