Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 11-04-2007, 02:26 AM

Mein Auto: 323 vert
how do I shorten tension straps on my vert?

My vert storage box cover is connecting with the rag top when opening, sometimes it gets stuck, sometimes it scraps past it. I have only had it 1 week and it does it intermitently but usually the first time it opens in the morning.

Do I have to replace the straps or can they be adjusted?
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2007, 07:37 AM
Vert Owners Do It Topless

Mein Auto: 1995 320i Convertible
Hi sacd

A Very Warm Welcome to the Fest Buddy -Croeseo

I am not really sure what you mean. Could be the mechanism needs lubricating. I have just sprayed all mine with WD40.

Straps can be adjusted as they can stretch. Mine need doing actually as sometimes she folds down lovely and other times I have to give her a bit of a gentle nudge down just before the compartment lid closes.

Seeing as you have just acquired her heed this warning. There is a handle which is situated under the back seat. This handle is for EMERGENCY USE ONLY if the roof fails. By pulling this handle it allows you to lower or raise the roof manually by disengaging the motors.

IT IS A NIGHTMARE TO RESET - just read past threads on this on the Fest There are many posts about resetting them so do not be unduly worried but sometimes you may have to take it to your local dealer to get the motors reset - I did this but it only cost me 45 plus they tightened my strings/straps.

Do you have the engine running when you are putting the roof down . The only reason I ask is because it does put a huge strain on the battery. This may help.

We have a few guys on the Fest from Wales. I originated from there - St Athan. Eclipse is also from South Glam.
E36 320i Convertible - Superchipped - K&N Apollo CAI - Green Stuff Pads - NGK Iridium IX plugs - Pioneer MP3 Headunit - JL Audio Kick Panel Speaker Pods - Wind Deflector - M3 Style Spoiler. 18" Bridgestone 225/40/R18. M Sport type Alloys as fitted on new E90. Alloy Billet Strut Brace, M3 type front bumper, M3 type rear Diffuser. Royal Purple. Hard Top.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 323 vert
Thanks mate. I love the car (i'll try to post some pics) The storage lid is actually connecting with the rag top as it is opening. It's as if the rag top doesn't open up quite enough. I'm taking it back to the garage who sold me the car on tuesday. They are promising to fix it but I wanted to be 'in the know' so I could help them. BMW Cardiff said that it just needs 'adjusting' and will take an hour and a half....costing me nearly 200 quid!!!!
I did spray the linkages with Wurth (from bmw) and that seemed to help a little bit.
I'd love to do a few things, like install the full computer etc so it would be nice to hook up with someone local who knows a few things.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Vert Owners Do It Topless

Mein Auto: 1995 320i Convertible
THINK I KNOW WHAT IS HAPPENING...

Pirate & I have just been playing with my roof. Question - is you roof fully auto or do you have to manually release the hood first via a handle by the windscreen?

If the latter is the case then you need to make sure that when you turn the handle and initially push to roof back you need to give it that extra little push to get it right back before using the button to lower it electrically.

I opened my roof manually and did not push it back properly - result, it caught on the storage lid - not good!!!

Try this and let me know. Pirate has taken a video of the my roof opening and closing plus the aforementioned affect of not initially opening it properly. If you want to see the video I shall get Pirate to sort if for you via You tube.

Angel
x

I give you a kiss because I am not technically a 'mate' I am more of a 'mate-ess'

I am Pirate's Mum
E36 320i Convertible - Superchipped - K&N Apollo CAI - Green Stuff Pads - NGK Iridium IX plugs - Pioneer MP3 Headunit - JL Audio Kick Panel Speaker Pods - Wind Deflector - M3 Style Spoiler. 18" Bridgestone 225/40/R18. M Sport type Alloys as fitted on new E90. Alloy Billet Strut Brace, M3 type front bumper, M3 type rear Diffuser. Royal Purple. Hard Top.