Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
I am not a big TT fan either its a chicks car, its a Golf chassis dressed up in Audi clothes.

I just have never liked front-wheel drive cars. Not appealing one bit. Everyone always bitches about how involving a car is, front-wheel drive to me is no fun.
Have you driven a Type R? Great fun, one of the best cars ever made. The last gen Cooper S is also a fantastic drive (haven't driven the new one). Most front-drive cars are mundane, but some of them are great.

As for the TT, I've only driven a new GTI, and I liked it a lot, I think it's a real driver's car, similar in feel to an E46, driven at modest speeds. It feels like 80% of a 330i at half the price. I'd consider it, especially at the price. They're fairly reliable, though dealerships/service are terrible.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg90 View Post
They're fairly reliable, though dealerships/service are terrible.

Thats one main reason I can't consider other makes. I just love BMW 0$ cost maintenance and warranties. And my local bimmer dealer treats me very good. I love being able to drive all the different models as loaner cars.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Thats one main reason I can't consider other makes. I just love BMW 0$ cost maintenance and warranties. And my local bimmer dealer treats me very good. I love being able to drive all the different models as loaner cars.
I feel the same way, it's a great deal, and most other carmakers have dropped it. Even the Mini has 3 years free maintenance. I hear a lot of BMW dealers suck, but mine (BMW Peabody) is very good.

I actually feel kind of guilty when I go in for an oil change and they give me a brand new $45k car to drive.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:24 PM
BMW Wannabe

Mein Auto: Scion tC for now
Dealers out here don't give bimmers as loaners unless you have a 5+. Lowly 3-series owners have to get buy with late-model camrys as a courtesy car.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastjack View Post
Dealers out here don't give bimmers as loaners unless you have a 5+. Lowly 3-series owners have to get buy with late-model camrys as a courtesy car.
When I take my E36 in I usually get an X3.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:43 AM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
Quote:
I just have never liked front-wheel drive cars. Not appealing one bit. Everyone always bitches about how involving a car is, front-wheel drive to me is no fun.
In all honesty: for most people out there most of the time, the drive axle makes absolutely no difference. The only time I'm even consciously aware of which wheels are putting the power to the ground in my E46 is when I'm autocrossing it (I don't take it to Sebring anymore); you can get on the power much sooner when exiting a corner without risking a significant amount of understeer.

If I were to put my mother behind the wheel of my E46 (or 987) and then have her drive my brother's 3.2CL and tell me which car has RWD and which has FWD, she'd be absolutely clueless. I doubt she even knows that her own MB is RWD.

The one thing you can get with RWD even at mundane speeds is better road feel, but most cars these days are so numb that even that isn't particularly relevant.

Note: I say all of this as somebody who never has owned a FWD car and probably never will.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:44 AM
In vino veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topmounter View Post
When I take my E36 in I usually get an X3.
Out of curiosity: why are you taking an out-of-warranty car to a dealership for service?
Old 11-12-2007, 08:07 AM
Bimmer Addict

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0si
my CPO E46 got me an X3 as loaner one time and in a Camry the 2nd time (it was an unscheduled stop when the clutch went out at 46k miles and they were out of loaners so they rented me a Hertz car).

My new Z4 has not gone in to service yet, so no loaners.
09 BMW 135i 'vert Jet Blk/Beige Lthr
07 Z4 3.0si. Jet Blk/Saddle Brwn Ext Lthr
03 Toyota Matrix XRS. Blk w/grey
04 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, Red
01 BMW 325 4dr. Titanium Silver, Blk int
94 325 'vert. Blk w/ Tan lthr
90 325iX Sedan. Diamond Blk w/ Blk lthr
All manual transmission
*currently
Old 11-12-2007, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhbhaat View Post
Out of curiosity: why are you taking an out-of-warranty car to a dealership for service?

Oddly enough, to save money

My regular mechanic was at his wits end chasing an emissions fault and suggested that I take it to the dealership. It took two trips for them to finally get it fixed, but they only charged me for the first trip

Based upon that experience, I highly recommend United BMW of Atlanta.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:20 AM
In vino veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topmounter View Post
Oddly enough, to save money

My regular mechanic was at his wits end chasing an emissions fault and suggested that I take it to the dealership. It took two trips for them to finally get it fixed, but they only charged me for the first trip

Based upon that experience, I highly recommend United BMW of Atlanta.
Hit or miss, it seems. I wouldn't trust either of the local dealerships here to fix anything without breaking something else and overcharging me in the process...