Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:57 AM
BMW Wannabe

Mein Auto: Scion tC for now
Why I like the 1er

WARNING - Long post!

I just wanted to put this out there, since it seems like many of the threads now are focusing on bits and pieces that BMW could have done better. This is why I like the 1er...

I am a young professional. Except for classics, I prefer new cars, and can't afford to own/insure multiple cars. So whatever I decide upon will need to satisfy all of my needs; no dedicated track car for me. If you can afford a Z4M roadster, a Lotus, and a 5er, good on you; care to lend me eighty grand or so?

I need:
  • Total cost to be <= $35k. Hopefully with ED the 135 will come in around there.
  • A 'professional' car. As much as I'd like to drive our MGB or a Ferrari 308, it doesn't make sense. Many of you will probably disagree with me. After all, who is more professional than Thomas Magnum? But I work in a stuffy corporate environment and am not privy to making the rules. It may work in High School, but being known as "that kid with the obnoxious car" is not a good thing where I am at now. Plus, maintenance+repairs on those cars are killer.
  • Room for me, the girlfriend, and baggage. Maybe some friends in a pinch.
I want:
  • A relatively small car, being unmarried and childless. I test drove a 335coupe, and while it does fill most of my demands (except for cost), it felt large and almost unwieldy to me. I think the 3 works better as a sedan at this point; I'm looking for something a bit leaner. Hopefully the 1 will feel more than 100lbs lighter on its feet.
  • Fuel efficiency (~25mpg would be nice, or a Hydrogen 135...)
  • A sporty car (note I did not say sports car. there is a big difference). I want to be able to step on it and feel myself push back in the seat a bit. Sexy engine notes are definitely a plus, but shouldn't take away from the next point...
  • The car should be comfortable and fairly quiet for my daily commute. I drive a Scion tC now, which may well have been designed by someone who was quite deaf. I spend a lot of time on the phone for work, and everyone can tell when I'm in my car (or the wind tunnel, as my mum calls it).
  • iDrive to be optional (i.e., NOT in my damn car)

I realize that you all would have done things differently here and there. Yes, I would prefer an option to remove the moonroof (I am 6'2"), and may well end up putting equal-size, non-runflat tires on all round. I do start to froth a bit at the mouth when I think about a true mechanical diff on the business end of that biturbo. But like I said, I'm looking for a good compromise. If we're being honest, odds are I will never, ever set this car loose on a track. Only idiots and the dangerously insane (read: half the members here) regularly drive their cars on the street such that an LSD would be highly beneficial. When was the last time you took a hard corner on the drive home from work and understeered right off the road? Is understeered even a word?

In summary, I guess I'm just trying to say that it's too late to change anything now. Arguing about what could have been is an exercise in futility. If you really want to effect some change, I suggest you go here. Or pray the tii gets made and is everything you are hoping for. Obviously there are some of you out there that are still excited about the 1 series. Why?

PS - Rereading this post, I sound like a bit of a BMW corporate wank. Rest assured, dear reader, that neither I nor any of my friends, relatives, or enemies work for BMW AG.
Ads by Google
Old 11-15-2007, 12:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 328i sedan
Hi fastjack,

I too, am a young professional in my late 20's working in a conservatvie corporate environment.

I am having a dilemma between the 328i sedan and 128i coupe. To me, the 328i sedan would appear a much more "professional/mature car" because of the fact that it has 4-doors and is bigger. However, if I have it correctly, the 128i basically has all the same features of the 328i and the 128i will be about $3,800 cheaper. So hence my dilemma, do I really want to pay $3,800 more for the more "professional/mature image" even though I don't often carry passengers in the back seat of my car?

What do you think?
Old 11-15-2007, 06:52 AM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastjack
When was the last time you took a hard corner on the drive home from work and understeered right off the road? Is understeered even a word?
Actually, an LSD adds a bit of extra understeer when entering a corner. How much (if any) understeer depends upon the design and lock ratio, of course.

Based on your description, it sounds like the 328i is a better fit for you. You may find the 1 series a bit less unwieldy than the E9X, but it's primarily smaller in terms of length, not width or height.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:02 AM
BMW Wannabe

Mein Auto: Scion tC for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhbhaat View Post
Based on your description, it sounds like the 328i is a better fit for you. You may find the 1 series a bit less unwieldy than the E9X, but it's primarily smaller in terms of length, not width or height.
I'm interested to know what makes you think the 3 would be a better fit. I laid out most of my 'requirements', and came to the conclusion that the 135 was the closest match for me, out of the current line-up of new BMWs (not saying much). I drove my coworker's '06 330i e90, nice enough, but I have always been partial to 2-doors. Also, as I said, I just feel like the current size/shape of the 3-series makes it more suited to sedan life. I won't go so far as to say the 3 is the new 5, but it is certainly... beastly. Call me crazy, but I actually like most of the styling on the 1er.

Try as I might, I can't stop thinking about the n54 either. Heavy or not, it is still quite sexy.

As for you, jyeh328, I would say that you shouldn't be choosing the car strictly based on the fact that a 328 might be more 'professional'. That's the kind of decision that will haunt you 2 months after it's too late. Suffice it to say that any new BMW will be more than "pro" enough for just about any job you may possess. Also, professional does not have to mean stodgy or uber-conservative. Yes, you/I may be looking for something a little more upscale than a Geo Metro, but that doesn't mean we can't go 150 with our hair on fire on our own time.

Last edited by fastjack; 11-15-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 325i
Dude, chose the car based on how you like it. If you chose it on how it would fit into your 'corporate culture' nonsense, than you already lost the game - you are chosing A BMW. So, since you have that out of the way, for your corp envy colleagues it won't matter if you got 1er or 3er. so get what you like. The 3er is bigger. that's all. Plus different disign. they are built on same platform.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastjack View Post
WARNING
I realize that you all would have done things differently here and there. Yes, I would prefer an option to remove the moonroof (I am 6'2"), and may well end up putting equal-size, non-runflat tires on all round. I do start to froth a bit at the mouth when I think about a true mechanical diff on the business end of that biturbo. But like I said, I'm looking for a good compromise. If we're being honest, odds are I will never, ever set this car loose on a track. Only idiots and the dangerously insane (read: half the members here) regularly drive their cars on the street such that an LSD would be highly beneficial. When was the last time you took a hard corner on the drive home from work and understeered right off the road? Is understeered even a word?

In summary, I guess I'm just trying to say that it's too late to change anything now. Arguing about what could have been is an exercise in futility. If you really want to effect some change, I suggest you go here. Or pray the tii gets made and is everything you are hoping for. Obviously there are some of you out there that are still excited about the 1 series. Why?

PS - Rereading this post, I sound like a bit of a BMW corporate wank. Rest assured, dear reader, that neither I nor any of my friends, relatives, or enemies work for BMW AG.

Sounds like the 135i is for you. Should be a fun car.

The 3-series also suffers from understeer (I had a E90), and according to the mags so does the 1-series.

If you really want to get rid of the understeer, throw in some adjustable H&R sway bars and coil-overs. Most likely on the aggressive setting on the swaybars, you will actually have some oversteer, sometimes you can loose the rear before you know it.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
The 135i has 215 width front tires right? That's the reason for the understeer. Swap for 235 front/rear. My ZHP has 225 width front & rear, and it's pretty neutral.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 325i
I didnt find such big problem with E90 oversteering... if anything the back wants to step out quite often.