Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > The MINI Board

The MINI Board
The Mini Cooper Forum

Old 11-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
How Reliable is the R56?

Just wondering, from a reliability point of view, how the new R56 MINI has been for those of you who bought one.

Any common or symptomatic complaints you guys seeing?

I've perused the UK-based message boards (e.g. mini2.com) but haven't seen any preponderance of one single fault. Saw rattles and trim issues, and a few cases of transmission issues (whine, noise, etc) but nothing consistent.

When the R53 came out there was a few gearboxes that dropped the syncro on second gear from what I recall, plus an issue with mis-fitting trunk latches, and a few cases of broken anti-freeze bottles in the engine compartment. Anyone who have a newly bought R56 have problems they are seeing?

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Ads by Google
Old 11-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
R56 seems fine for me so far. Had an issue with my DSC going bonkers at stop lights - dealer reflashed it I believe - and since my trip to the shop it's been fine. The R56's been far more reliable than my last two BMWs. Not even close really. 9 months and 1 unscheduled trip to the dealer for the DSC (and trim that was damaged on delivery). To me that's golden!

My SA keeps calling about some stupid CD tray recall thing but I have no idea what she's talking about and don't much care (never use the CD player or the storage area beneath the sHVAC controls).
Old 11-17-2007, 05:00 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguydotcom View Post
R56 seems fine for me so far. Had an issue with my DSC going bonkers at stop lights - dealer reflashed it I believe - and since my trip to the shop it's been fine. The R56's been far more reliable than my last two BMWs. Not even close really. 9 months and 1 unscheduled trip to the dealer for the DSC (and trim that was damaged on delivery). To me that's golden!

My SA keeps calling about some stupid CD tray recall thing but I have no idea what she's talking about and don't much care (never use the CD player or the storage area beneath the sHVAC controls).
The recall is to replace the tray for the "secret compartment" in the dash above the glove-box. On the early cars it does not open, and they have to go back and retrofit the new tray so that you can use the compartment.

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 11-18-2007, 06:41 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
The recall is to replace the tray for the "secret compartment" in the dash above the glove-box. On the early cars it does not open, and they have to go back and retrofit the new tray so that you can use the compartment.
Oh. That can wait for sure...i don't keep anything in my car anyway.