Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E90 328i / 318 Ti / Yugo
I'm back from LA

I was pleasantly surprised by the car! It looks much better in person - very proportional. I like how the hood bulge is almost parallel to the sides, as opposed to a more wedge shape on other contemporary models.
Overall shape is pleasing and it looks very muscular. I was a bit disappointed that we couldn't enter the car and that the doors were closed. All of the pictures I took are very similar to what has been posted over the past months.
The one thing that stands out, in my opinion, is the camber of the wheels (both front and rear). In addition, both front and rear wheels extend a bit beyond the sides of the car, giving it a very nice shape. Bottom line, I like it very much and will order one!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01843.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	127991   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01848.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	127992   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01854.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	127993   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01871.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	127994   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01863.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	127995  

Ads by Google
Old 11-19-2007, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 VW Passat 2.0T
I too saw the 135 at the L.A. Auto Show and I have to say I think the car looks disproportionate and fat, not muscular. In the pictures I had seen, the car looked good from some angles and awful from others. In person, the same holds true. The front looks good and when it's slightly angled and you're looking at it from the front and seeing a bit of the side, it looks good too, but from the side and back it looks too tall, too horizontally scrunched and compacted, and too fat. It really needs to go on a diet. In addition, the back also doesn't work, in my opinion. My wife said the car looked "cheap" in comparison to the 3-Series coupe which she called "beautiful." I think the public will agree.

Considering the inclusion of a moonroof, the small weight difference, the small price difference, and the car's looks compared with its larger brethren, I personally see no compelling reason whatsoever to buy this car. Granted, I haven't yet driven it, and perhaps that's where the reason will show itself, but on paper this car makes no sense.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci
The doors remind me of sagging arm flab on old/overweight women. I'm sure the 1 drives great, but it is absolutely nothing to look at.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:17 AM
BMW Wannabe

Mein Auto: Scion tC for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
I too saw the 135 at the L.A. Auto Show and I have to say I think the car looks disproportionate and fat, not muscular. In the pictures I had seen, the car looked good from some angles and awful from others. In person, the same holds true. The front looks good and when it's slightly angled and you're looking at it from the front and seeing a bit of the side, it looks good too, but from the side and back it looks too tall, too horizontally scrunched and compacted, and too fat. It really needs to go on a diet. In addition, the back also doesn't work, in my opinion. My wife said the car looked "cheap" in comparison to the 3-Series coupe which she called "beautiful." I think the public will agree.

Considering the inclusion of a moonroof, the small weight difference, the small price difference, and the car's looks compared with its larger brethren, I personally see no compelling reason whatsoever to buy this car. Granted, I haven't yet driven it, and perhaps that's where the reason will show itself, but on paper this car makes no sense.

You are conjecturing about the car based solely on your personal feelings and opinions. I would like to offer an opposing perspective. I am perhaps in the minority, as the E9x has been selling like hotcakes, but for me there is every reason to get the 1 and few appealing ones in favor of the 3 unless the 1 really flubs the Test Drive.

Here are some comparison images. To me, the 1er feels like the rightful successor to the E46 (isn't it built on the old E46 chassis??). The overall shape/lines of the car look (to me) to be practically identical - do you consider the E46 to be compacted?

As for the rear, the only thing I would change is that slightly silly black insert, and maybe splitting the exhaust, but I consider those minor (esp seeing as mine will most likely be black all over). The slight flaring at the sides gives the car more character, I think. But then again, I prefer my women to have curves, too (go eat a hamburger and get back to me, Olsens/Lohans/Hiltons of the world)

Old 11-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Lymphoma Cancer Awareness

Mein Auto: '10 Bora
Hmm... the bum is a bit better looking than I thought it would be as I don't care for the new bums (last photo) they do look cool at night tho LOL.

If I were to get the 1 it would almost be as close to a stripper as I can get, only auto (I know the horror) and premium (gotta have my leather, well really I prefer fabric but they will probably come with fake leather and that's not OK) that's it, that's all I need

I don't have to drive like I am in a race car everyday, It's just knowing that I can

"It's the Ulitimate Driving Machine, These things happen" - Officer after issuing a speeding ticket
Old 11-19-2007, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBMW View Post
I was pleasantly surprised by the car! It looks much better in person - very proportional. I like how the hood bulge is almost parallel to the sides, as opposed to a more wedge shape on other contemporary models.
Overall shape is pleasing and it looks very muscular. I was a bit disappointed that we couldn't enter the car and that the doors were closed. All of the pictures I took are very similar to what has been posted over the past months.
The one thing that stands out, in my opinion, is the camber of the wheels (both front and rear). In addition, both front and rear wheels extend a bit beyond the sides of the car, giving it a very nice shape. Bottom line, I like it very much and will order one!
I liked it too, but I wasn't blown away by any original lines that I was hoping would be more prominant in person. I think the color ruined it for me, but then again, the lighting is so blown out and all over the place in there that it's hard to tell. I think in any other color, it will look much better in person. Still don't love the rear end, but I can't wait to drive one.