Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 03-11-2003, 11:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4
Unhappy My Z4 just broke down on the road!

I have a Z4 3.0 with auto transmission. The car has about 4800 miles on it, and I just drove it from Irvine in Southern California to San Jose in Northern California. Tonight on my way home, I was waiting at the left turn lane when my engine suddenly rev-up and I have to pressed down on the break hard to stop the lurging. Almost hit the car in front of me.

When it was my turn to go, I pressed down on the gas pedal, but the car barely has power to move. The engine RPM oscillated between 1000 and 1300 as it's going to choke. I barely got the car to the side of the road, and turned it off. I started the engine again, and the engine was still acting as it was choking. The check engine light was on, so I stopped the engine again and called the 24-hour roadside assistence to tow the car to the local dealer.

Since the service department is closed at this time, I have to go back tomorrow to see what the problem is and whether I can get a loaner car. Before this happened I was having trouble with my power top, so I wonder if this is an electric system problem. The tow truck driver told me that he has towed quite a bit of BMW, and recently a brand new 745i.

This is my first BMW, and although I heard of the notorious electric system problems, I thought Z4 may not be that bad. Well, we will see. I will post some pictures later.
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2003, 08:01 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mig29 Send a message via AIM to Mig29 Send a message via Yahoo to Mig29
Mein Auto: '01 325Ci
Each time my old cars experienced these symptoms, they were out of gas.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:44 AM
Revelation 10:7

Mein Auto: 2003 330i
Obviously, the same symptons do not indicate the same problem, but I just experienced something very similar on Saturday in my 330i.

I was almost home and the car suddenly lurched forward, like I had blipped the gas pedal quickly, then slowed back down.

Since I was almost in my Neighborhood, I was about to slow. I pulled into the garage and shut the car down, thinking maybe I had caused it. I decided to test it out and go for a ride, but when I started the car it just sat there with the revs bouncing and the EML Light came on.

I decided to have it towed in Monday morning.

Many people have reported this problem and they failure was the Drive By Wire Potentiometer or a bad Throttle Body.

In my case, it turned out to be a short in the Engine Wiring Harness and they are going to replace the whole Harness. They kept the car and I hope to have it back Friday.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:05 PM

Pic & update

GSR13, I think what I have here is the same problem as yours. The service advisor told me the exact same thing. Of course, they have not isolated the problem yet, but my Z4 has the symptom of a malfunctioning drive-by-wire mechanism. I will update when I know more.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to MDork
Mein Auto: '02 ///M Coupe
same type of thing happened to my fiancees parents' 530i. strange.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
I think it is a faulty throttle body. Very common problem, I hear these cases every week, so there may be even a recall someday.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:15 PM
Living on the redline

Mein Auto: a BMW killer
Quote:
Originally posted by JakeC
I think it is a faulty throttle body. Very common problem, I hear these cases every week, so there may be even a recall someday.
Somebody on the Bimmer.org Z4 page just posted their throttle body or similar part was just replaced at 4,800 miles.

_assuming it must be the same vehicle_

No issue on mine at 1900 miles.

Last edited by TeamZ4; 03-13-2003 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:47 PM

Yup, that's my post. For those who don't check the other boards, here's the update:

This morning I got my Z4 back. According to the invoice, the technician replaced the EDK motor (throttle). The part number is 13-54-7-502-445, description Throttle HSE. I asked the service advisor what this is, and he said something about throttle linking to a bufferfly valve. The Z4 has drive-by-wire, so I don't know if this makes sense. Anyway, I might be the first one on this board to have a warranty repair on his Z4 at 4800 miles, a dubious honor.

By the way, I need to take my car back again because now there's a rattle in the cabin that's not there before. I hope this is not part of the "BMW experience".
Old 03-14-2003, 12:17 PM
Shake well

Mein Auto: 2003 325iT
My Z3 Coupe 3.0 (2001) has never exhibited a surge quite like this (thankfully), but it almost always kind of stumbles when accelerating. Is the throttle-by-wire to blame here?

Clutch-in, 1st gear, apply gas while letting out the clutch, the car will start to move then hesitate then continue. Same thing going into 2nd, 3rd, etc. It feels like I'm driving it sloppy... didn't have this problem with my Z3 2.8, so I don't think it's me. It almost ALWAYS exhibits this behavior. If I use a string of numbers from 0-9 to draw out how the accelerator seems to behave, with 0=idle, 9=wide-open:

Throttle curve = 0-1-1-0-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9

Sometimes, the throttle responds like it is IDLE/FULL-ON making smooth starts IMPOSSIBLE without just really easing the clutch out. Of course, you don't know this until you're already letting it out, so the car jumps fast enough to break traction, let off gas and the car slows, apply gas it lurches forward again. This only happens very occasionally, but it is major-league annoying.

Throttle curve = 0-0-0-7-8-9

Very occasionally, the throttle response is smooth and linear with no drop-outs. Seems like if I let the car warm up in the driveway a while it will do this ... but not always. The throttle curve would be 0-1-2-3.. up to 9 without any drops or discontinuities.

daver -- 2003 325iT
Old 03-14-2003, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 00Z3MC,10328iT,14X1x28
Quote:
move then hesitate then continue
I get that occasionally in 1st gear in my 99 2.8 Coupe. Step on it, "vacuum mode" for a second then off we go.
I notice it more often when cold so I assumed it's part of the cold-throttle stumble more often associated with the M engines.