Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5
Problems with my 2007 X5 What would you do?

Being nice has gotten me no where with my issues on my 2007 X5. I ordered my first 07 X5 in February. I had issues with that one, so they ordered me another and received my second one this past July. Yes, I thought it was very nice of the dealership to do that for me. This second X5 that I have received is not as bad as the first one but I am having some of the same issues, which is the sterring wheel will not stay where I set it and the brightness screen will not stay set. At the I-drive Menu I like my screen to be at the very brightest but after I turn my car off and start it back it resets itself back to medium brightness. The dealship says that these are software issues. They have known about this since last February and told me that the new software would be out this past Sept. It is now Dec. Jan 07-08 and no one will tell me anything. Why don't they just tell me they do not know how to fix it! They will not return my calls so I have to go to the head manager of the dealership and he has to get the service manager to call me. Also my sterring wheel is starting to make noises when I turn the wheel. I am getting ready to make an apt. and I guess I will need to show myself to get some where. I have called the 1800 BMWUSA but that too has not gotten me any where either. I have expected more out of this experience buying a $60,000 automobile. They have just seemed to have forgotten about me. What would you do? Thank you!
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2007, 10:41 AM
CGP25

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
I have the same exact issues. Brightness not remembering last setting. Steering wheel setting SOMETIMES not right, even seat positions not right.

let me know how it works out. My dealerhship did nothing but re-program the car and nothing happened (HOWEVER, now my iPod "now playing" is fixed.)

good luck.

2013 X5 5.0i M Sport & Perf
2007 750Li
Old 12-10-2007, 01:52 PM

BSELMAN Thank you for responding!

I hate that this has happened to you too! It is very anoying! You think that if you pay that much for something you expect it to work right but they do not even know how to make it right! If they do not come up with a way to fix it by the time my warranty runs out will they still honor it considering that it happened before the warranty ran out? I sure hope so! It is so hard to trust anything now a days!
Your X5 is so beautiful! I do love mine, the way it drives but I'll bet your drive is even better since it is a 4.8i But what about your gas mileage? That is why I did not get the 4. Mine is the Silver Mist and I do not have the Sport Package. I did get the DVD for my daughter, we love that too when it works right! What do you think about chrome wheels? I thought that it looked nice in the book on the 4.8i I did add the running boards and the chrome grill in the front like the 4.8i
What are you going to do about your steering wheel and screen not staying set? Just wait like me? I will stay on them! Do they tell you it is a software issue and they are waiting for the software? Best of Luck to you too! It helps to know that someone else is going through the same thing, even though we hate it! Thanks for the picture!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1313.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	129657  
Old 12-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
My neighbor has an 07 X5.

The electric tilt steering wheel does not move at all when turning the car off and on. Is this normal?

Right now he sets the wheel height using the switch, but it never moves unless he uses the switch. I told him I thought it was broken.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:04 PM

Steering Wheel

No, that is not normal. In mine you are suppose to set the seat and steering wheel to the position that you want. I also went to the I-drive menu and set up when you open the door that the seat/steering wheel is to go to the position that you set it for. Some one told me that the dealership should be able to take your key and re program the key to set the steering wheel into the set position that you like it at. That did not make sense to me. You can set it with the memory seat. Mine works some of the time but most of the time not at all. I like it in the lowest position at my legs. but I physically have to press the button to move the steering wheel down to that position. Very annoying!

wmelissa
Old 12-29-2007, 09:17 AM

Smile After posting here with my issues w/ 2007 X5 North America called me and helped me!

After posting comments in reference to problems with the dealership on my 2007 BMW X5 3.0, I received a call from BMW North America from a nice lady who finally helped me with my frustrations with the service dept. They set me up an appointment with the dealership, and the new service manager called me to let me know that they did finally receive new updated software for the issues that I was having with my 07 X5 that came in at the dealership in October. When loading new software to your vehicle be patient because it takes about a day and a half. The software so far has corrected my steering wheel issue and the DVD player but has not corrected the brightness screen not staying set (at the brightested selection for me). So, I was told that they will report the screen not staying set and therefore the engineers are constantly writing new software. It took me 10 months for them to get me this new updated software, so therefore I am not sure when I will receive the next update. That too, will be a day and a half to start over and update the system. I just wanted everyone to be aware if they are experienceing the same issues, just be patient. My problem was at the dealership the old service manager who is no longer there, did not communicate with me or return my phone calls. They have a new service manager and hopefully things will change for the better. I was really frustrated, but BMW North America does read these sites and concerns, and did contact me. Thank you so much for this site and the nice lady who helped me! Hopefully the engineers will not take so long to update their software. Always stay on top of the dealerships and do not depend on them to contact you unless they do prove to you that they care and that they do contact their customers. I have a new service manager now and I think that this is a positive step for the dealership and myself! This is my first BMW and I really do love the driving experience with this vehicle! I just did not realize how the systems works until now. Having a BMW has really spoiled me and I really do not want to own anything else, but hopefully I will not have to experience these type of issues in the future. The system is a little slow. I do have one more complaint on accessories! There are no choices for wheel selection on the X5 3.0 only on the X5 4.8i which is not fair for customers like myself! Hopefully BMW will realize that this does not seem fair either! I do not wish to purchase BIG Wheels like the 20 or 22 inch so why are there more selections on the wheels for 20 and 22 inch?
Old 12-29-2007, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Good news that progress is being made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmelissa View Post
There are no choices for wheel selection on the X5 3.0 only on the X5 4.8i which is not fair for customers like myself! Hopefully BMW will realize that this does not seem fair either! I do not wish to purchase BIG Wheels like the 20 or 22 inch so why are there more selections on the wheels for 20 and 22 inch?
You can use any wheel available for the 4.8i on your 3.0i. Here in the USA we cannot order the various wheel upgrades as options like the Euro customers can, but you can certainly buy a set of wheels and swap them out for yours. Then you'll have an extra set of wheels to get rid of (eBay? Craigslist?) unless you negotiate a trade with whomever you get the new ones from.

For starters, you might look at the wheel choices that BMW makes for your X5. Go here:
http://www.kalch.easynet.be
which displays all BMW wheels. On the list on the top of the page select X5 E70 and only the ones that fit your vehicle will be listed. The wheel size is in inches; you'll probably want to look for 18-inchers or maybe 19s. (Does your 3.0 have the sport package with 19s?) The standard or recommended tire size is also there, as is an 11-digit BMW part number. One approach would be to try to order new wheels from the dealership parts counter; once they arrive you could get 'em swapped out in service or take them yourself to a tire store for the swap. (Dealerships do tend to be pricey on tire stuff, though.)

Another place to look for wheels (although not BMW original equipment wheels) would be www.tirerack.com or a local tire store. If you're happy with your present tires, just get 'em swapped over to your new wheels.

The other thing I would offer for your consideration is that the X5 is a large vehicle. I hate the monster wheel look myself, but as big as the X5 is, I don't think 19s or 20s are too out of place. Remember that as you go up in size, you are giving up a little ride comfort and getting a little sharper handling -- all else equal.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport

Last edited by LMC; 12-29-2007 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:14 PM

Smile Wheel Options for my 2007 X5 3.0

Thank you Larry For responding and trying to help me! I do not have the sports package, but kind of wished that I did now that I realize it is suppose to be a better ride. I know that they say if you can afford a BMW then you can afford the rest like purchasing tires at any time. It is not that I cannot afford them I am just a smart and caucious spender. I do like the look of the 19 or 20 inch but doesn't that consider the tire as a low profile tire? That is where I am wondering about having to buy tire more often. Also, just curious but one of the head tecs at the dealership told me that I do not ever have to rotate my tires that are on them now? That seemed odd to me! I do have the 18 inch wheel and is there that much of look in different sizes? I have also learned that it seems everyone says chrome is a no, no on a BMW period! I have to say I have never had chrome on any of my vechicles but I kind of think it looks classy. It seems so stereo typed! Maybe I am just going through a mid life crisis but I wish that I could at least experience Chrome one time in my life. I feel like I am a pretty classy lady and I would not mind moving up to a 19 or 20 inch and just keeping the polished al. I also want to keep OEM wheels. I really love the wheels that are on the 2007-2008 X5 4.8i. They look like snow flakes but are you saying that I could get that look with the 18 inch. I did try going to the German Site that you listed for me and I scrolled down to the X5 3 E70 but it would not do anything or click on to a picture, nothing. But are you saying if I do want that look (snow flake look) that I would probably have to go to a 20 but the ride would not be a smooth? I am not sure if I want to give up the smooth ride. I guess you can't have it all! Thank you again for being so kind! Any other help would be greatful! Maybe I just need to purchase another one? LOL
Old 12-30-2007, 11:00 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmelissa View Post
Thank you Larry For responding and trying to help me! I do not have the sports package, but kind of wished that I did now that I realize it is suppose to be a better ride. I know that they say if you can afford a BMW then you can afford the rest like purchasing tires at any time. It is not that I cannot afford them I am just a smart and caucious spender. I do like the look of the 19 or 20 inch but doesn't that consider the tire as a low profile tire? That is where I am wondering about having to buy tire more often. Also, just curious but one of the head tecs at the dealership told me that I do not ever have to rotate my tires that are on them now? That seemed odd to me! I do have the 18 inch wheel and is there that much of look in different sizes? I have also learned that it seems everyone says chrome is a no, no on a BMW period! I have to say I have never had chrome on any of my vechicles but I kind of think it looks classy. It seems so stereo typed! Maybe I am just going through a mid life crisis but I wish that I could at least experience Chrome one time in my life. I feel like I am a pretty classy lady and I would not mind moving up to a 19 or 20 inch and just keeping the polished al. I also want to keep OEM wheels. I really love the wheels that are on the 2007-2008 X5 4.8i. They look like snow flakes but are you saying that I could get that look with the 18 inch. I did try going to the German Site that you listed for me and I scrolled down to the X5 3 E70 but it would not do anything or click on to a picture, nothing. But are you saying if I do want that look (snow flake look) that I would probably have to go to a 20 but the ride would not be a smooth? I am not sure if I want to give up the smooth ride. I guess you can't have it all! Thank you again for being so kind! Any other help would be greatful! Maybe I just need to purchase another one? LOL
One for show and one for go, maybe?

BMW OE wheels are almost all painted. The other way you can get that 'jewelry' look is with a polished aluminum wheel -- see www.fikse.com for examples. (Note that Fikse wheels are very expensive...don't look too hard! ) It sounds like your choice is the style 211 Y-spoke. There are X5 4.8i owners all over the country who take delivery of their X5s and immediately swap out the wheels and tires for 22-inchers or whatever. Go to eBay and look up "car and truck" parts and then keep choosing until you get to wheels and tires. Buy a set of the 211s (or 212s off a sport model) from some custom wheel shop that took 'em in trade. Usually you will end up with a nearly-new set for a decent price. Then you have to sell your original ones, too. Hassle....you gotta pay to play! The other option would be to do the same thing at the dealership, in which case you could probably get them to take yours in trade; They give you a set of nearly-new 19-inchers; you give them your original 18-inchers and perhaps $500-1500.

Or stick with what you've got... five-spoke wheels are a lot easier to keep clean!
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport