Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 12-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Need a Toyota?

Mein Auto: MBZ E500
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidconti View Post
So while I can sort of agree with you, the H-pattern shifter would have to be a direct mechanical connection to the gearbox, rather than just an electronic lever. I doubt anyone would miss the SMG shift stick though; I'm sure pretty much everyone with SMG uses the paddles rather than the stick to move up and down thru the gears.
I don't like the paddles, it's too hard to shift when going around turns. I actually like the stick shift part better. I know it's not quite as cool, but it's my preference.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 330Ci
will the SMG blip the gas while downshifting like doing heel-toe on stick shift cars?
i heard somewhere it only does it under hard braking..if anyone can give me a little more information about this it would be very helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Ted
Old 12-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Officially Weird

Mein Auto: Clownshoe,Miata,WeeStrom
Yes, it blips the gas, but I believe you need to be holding your throttle steady anyways. Otherwise, it will just blip the gas to match revs, but it would be like downshifting then suddenly lifting off the gas in a manual car, since your engine braking becomes much stronger in the lower gear.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:39 AM
Need a Toyota?

Mein Auto: MBZ E500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwheeling View Post
I don't like the paddles, it's too hard to shift when going around turns. I actually like the stick shift part better. I know it's not quite as cool, but it's my preference.
Never mind. Tried just using paddle shifters on a couple of nice roads. Guess what? I like them better now.

I'm such a waffler...
Old 12-25-2007, 05:31 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
a) It blips under hard braking.

b) It blips if you have any throttle opening when downshifting. This can be froma heel and toe light tap, or if you downshift under acceleration (pull out to pass and ownshift).

c) If you let completely off the gas and are coasting or braking lightly, it does blip the throttle. If you want it to, see b)

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 01-03-2008, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: AW Vert 03 M3
I purchased a SMG but wish I could turn back time and bought a manaul. Manual is just all that much funner to drive.

Also looking into the future cost and repairs, the maintenance on the SMG over the manual will be much more...as the SMG's got's more electrical and mechanical devices that will eventually wear out as appossed to a manual where typically the clutch is the normal wears in the trans.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:42 PM
you are a long time dead

Mein Auto: 2004 M3 SMG vert
[QUOTE=picaso;2871667]Traffic jam thing is the lamest excuse. I have been driving manual since day one, over 20 years. Never owned an automatic.

SMG is not an automatic
Old 01-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 M3
SMG is far from the latest technology. In fact BMW is phasing it out for a double clutch system. the new M3 will not have SMG.

Having driven both quite a bit (my Dad has an SMG) I prefer the manual myself. plus he has had SMG issues.
2004 X3 3.0i 6MT
Old 01-09-2008, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E46 M3 SMG
Hi All, sorry to jump in I drove the new m3 (UKversion) with in manual and I was impressed then got back into my E46 M3 SMG and smiled to myself, SMG is better!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3uk View Post
Hi All, sorry to jump in I drove the new m3 (UKversion) with in manual and I was impressed then got back into my E46 M3 SMG and smiled to myself, SMG is better!
I respect your opinion but "better" is personal preference. SMG was great for its time but its now out dated. BMW is phasing it out.
2004 X3 3.0i 6MT
Old 01-16-2008, 12:14 AM

Mein Auto: e46 M3
def SMG.
Love it!
Old 01-16-2008, 07:23 PM

new? e46 is not new? e92 will not have SMG, they are phasing it out. If you love manual shifting get the manual.
if you think manual shifting is drudgery then get SMG. SMG is also good in traffic if you drive that every day. SMG does miss shifts, my dad is just out of warranty and it now grinds the synchro in 4th every now and then. he's fighting BMW over the cost of a new trans. this is the third major problem he had with SMG. luckily the other two issues were under warranty.

SMG is also good if you have a wife that cant drive stick BUT in that case maybe you are better off with an M3 the wife can NOT drive.

I have driven SMG back to back with manual over the same roads and its fun like a video game but I get more enjoyment out of a manual. I also dont commutte in traffic every day. my commute is 7 miles down a two lane windy road.

also I dont think SMG is faster - the majority of tests I have seen in the last 8 years the Manuals were faster by a tenth.
2004 X3 3.0i 6MT