Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 320 tdi compact
Diesel in 5 Series afterall, but no X5d ???

We know that a ways back, maybe a year ago, the strong rumors were a 5 series and X5 diesel. Then there was rumors that BMW was concerned about marketing of diesel, and that they needed/wanted to reach a younger crowd to help sell the diesel idea. So then we heard the 3 series along with X5 or 5 series. It seemed we always heard X5 because it stands to benefit the most in % percent reduction of fuel economy, and it helps BMW to reduce their total fleet MPG to help reduce US Govt penalities. The latest communication seemed to verfiy the 3 series and X5.

Today my dealer said it seemed it would now be 3 and 5 series, and likely not X5 immediately. That didn't make sense to me, but then he explained the decision, at least for initial product introduction, may be heavily influenced by where the cars are manufactured, with 3/5 series in Germany, and X5 in US, and the need to retool the US plant for diesel. And since they are already making the 3/5 series with diesel, there is no plant re-tooling required. Made sense at first, but then I thought the US is the (or a) world source for X5. If that is true, the US already has diesels running through the plant and being exported. The dealer added that during their sales planning meeting they discussed how the immediate focus is getting the 1 series and M3 introduced over the next 3 months or so, then mid/late summer start taking orders for diesel, and hopefully see first delivery late summer or early fall. They heard for the X3 they will look to a hybrid, and may then eventually make its way to the X5. That would be a huge dissappointment if that is in place of diesel for X series.

I am hoping for a big diesel vehicle, either the X5 or 5 series (prefer the 535d). The 3 is just too small for a family. I guess I'd ask all of you if you have heard about now seeing the 535d, but not the X5d - at least for first introduction of diesel???
Ads by Google
Old 01-19-2008, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: X3
BMW has already announced the 335d and the X5d at the NAIAS. They already make the X5d at the US plant (for export only) so no significant re-tooling is required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilbelcher View Post
... The latest communication seemed to verfiy the 3 series and X5.

Today my dealer said it seemed it would now be 3 and 5 series, and likely not X5 immediately. That didn't make sense to me, but then he explained the decision, at least for initial product introduction, may be heavily influenced by where the cars are manufactured, with 3/5 series in Germany, and X5 in US, and the need to retool the US plant for diesel. And since they are already making the 3/5 series with diesel, there is no plant re-tooling required. Made sense at first, but then I thought the US is the (or a) world source for X5. If that is true, the US already has diesels running through the plant and being exported. The dealer added that during their sales planning meeting they discussed how the immediate focus is getting the 1 series and M3 introduced over the next 3 months or so, then mid/late summer start taking orders for diesel, and hopefully see first delivery late summer or early fall. They heard for the X3 they will look to a hybrid, and may then eventually make its way to the X5. That would be a huge dissappointment if that is in place of diesel for X series.

I am hoping for a big diesel vehicle, either the X5 or 5 series (prefer the 535d). The 3 is just too small for a family. I guess I'd ask all of you if you have heard about now seeing the 535d, but not the X5d - at least for first introduction of diesel???
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 01-19-2008, 11:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to jasonrhcastle
Mein Auto: MY 2008 M5
I just placed an order for a 550i yesterday. My dealer GM just got back from the BMW coporate and was plainly told that the 335d and X5d would be here late in the year, but probably no 535d until November or December at earliest. So, I wouldn't hold my breath. I was hoping to be one of the first to get a 535d, but I will have to do it next go around.

J
Old 01-19-2008, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
X5 diesel

The diesel X5 was at the Detroit Auto Show. I have pictures a friend took while he was there. Don't believe everything the dealer tells you. I'm waiting for the diesel myself. I've been told late 08 for the diesel X5. I also heard it will be in the 3 series and will make it into the 5 series later...

Craig
Old 01-19-2008, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 320 tdi compact
I figured the factory re-tooling was not a big deal for the X5 diesel, but I know that plant is going through other adjustments to get the X6 ready. I forgot about the 3 series and X5 specifically being mentioned in the press release. Maybe there is some hope on the 535d, just a couple/few months later; hopefully still '08 calendar year though. Maybe more will leak by late spring on 535d plans.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535d Sport Twin Turbo
Hi there guys......I've just joined the forum and am the proud owner of one of the very latest 535d Sports with all the energy saving gizmos. Over here in the UK [Scotland] we have had X5ds for a number of years all with variations of the 3.0 litre diesel engine. They have recently announced that it is to be offered with the twin sequential turbo engine the same as my car. This should be a fantastic drive as the engine is just under 300hp and has 430 ft/lb of torque i.e. 15% more torque than the M5 standard! All this with 40+mpg easily achieved on a run. [Our gallons are bigger than yours though] Lots of people are having the ECU remapped to 350hp and 520 ft/lb!!! with no real increase in fuel consumption unless you are really heavy footed. The performance of the X5 is only marginally slower that the 535d and they handle like a sedan. Look up "535d" on Youtube and you will get some idea of the potential. Having visited the US many times and really enjoyed the big V8 motors, I just know you will love these engines and probably never buy a gas engine again! They don't even sound like a diesel engine BUT the only downside is not getting that V8 burble from the exhaust.

I really hope they supply these things to you guys - they are great.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alltorque View Post
Having visited the US many times and really enjoyed the big V8 motors, I just know you will love these engines and probably never buy a gas engine again! They don't even sound like a diesel engine BUT the only downside is not getting that V8 burble from the exhaust.
Welcome to bimmerfest, alltorque! Now I wonder where that user name came from?

Dunno if you saw the USA press release, but we lose 21 HP from the twin-turbo for our version (only 265 HP for us.) Still, it's all about the torque, isn't it and our X5d should be "adequate" in that dept, don't you think?
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport