Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5
hesitation

I had a similar problem with a 01 4.4i, which got progressivly worse. It ended up being a cam positioning sensor. If you find it starts to lug at a light when you slow down, you can bet that's the problem.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 07 x5
I have experienced 100%, exactly the same thing. Noticed it first in late November. Took it to the dealer on 12/27 as it got progressively worse (more frequent). The kept it until they could experience the problem for themselves, which they did. They said they talked to Germany, and did some programming things to "fix" it. Got it back and for several days, no problems. Last week, however, it started again. Really bad now. I called the dealer and they said hold onto it while they are researching (has been a week now).

Curiously, how many miles do you guys have? I got my car in July 2007 and started noticing the problem initially at around 9,000 miles. Also, I live in Austin and didn't experience any problems until cold weather hit. Perhaps a simple coincidence, but curious is anyone else has experienced this?
Old 01-20-2008, 03:49 PM

From doing some research, seems like there might be something to this MAF Sensor thing (even if a code is not appearing). Will have the dealer look at it. In any event, my car was doing just as poorly today as ever. After my research, I took out the air filter, put it back in and then went for a little test drive. NO ISSUES! So, it tells me that this may be a problem in the way the sensor is working. Maybe. Others that are having this problem, try it and see what happens. Will let you know what dealer advises.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8
UPDATE:

(Thanks for the responses Ron). Car is still at dealership. The tech noted that cooling fan was failing (see my earlier update re: overheating), and that has been replaced, but problem is persisting according to SA. Initially they were hoping the overheating was the problem, as tranny fluid is cooled via radiator.

They've opened a tech matter with BMW directly, and are trying to ascertain the problem, so it may be a software glitch, or worse, a manufacturing problem. I am not sure if the tech matter is opened straight with Germany (where they make the tranny) or with USA directly, but I'll try to figure that out today. No codes appear during testing, but there obviously is a problem.

My car has just at 10,000 miles on it, and the problem began in December (reached 10k by January). After three weeks of trying to schedule a service appointment to no avail, I finally drove it in and explained the problem. So my guess is the problem started happening around the same mileage you reference (around 9k or just over that).

I have a loaner 325xi in the meantime, which is fine to drive as it does not have the acceleration issue.

More updates later, as I expect to hear back from the SA today.

Reln
Old 01-22-2008, 08:06 AM

UPDATE:

Turns out the replaced fan was not the problem, but rather a relay. They've ordered that part, and should have news tomorrow. Still not sure if the cooling system is going to fix the acceleration hesitation, but start with the smaller problem first, and work up.

Reln
Old 01-22-2008, 08:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Damn guys that just doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about my new X5. Is it more of a problem with the 3.0 or the 4.8i? I am getting a 4.8i
Old 01-22-2008, 12:19 PM

For me, it's the 4.8 (I think for the other poster Ron also). I should know more tomorrow, and at the least, if this is merely a faulty relay, it is a minor problem. My bigger concern, though, is the lack of codes for this type of problem, as the first time I brought it in (12 January) they could not replicate the problem, and only after it started overheating did they find anything.

The bad news is that these two problems (overheating/acceleration) _could_ be unrelated. The good news is that they give you a loaner car in the meantime.

Reln
Old 01-22-2008, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relniius View Post
For me, it's the 4.8 (I think for the other poster Ron also). I should know more tomorrow, and at the least, if this is merely a faulty relay, it is a minor problem. My bigger concern, though, is the lack of codes for this type of problem, as the first time I brought it in (12 January) they could not replicate the problem, and only after it started overheating did they find anything.

The bad news is that these two problems (overheating/acceleration) _could_ be unrelated. The good news is that they give you a loaner car in the meantime.

Reln
Please keep us posted. This is why sites like this one are priceless.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:21 PM

No, mine is the 3.0. Still at the dealer. No new news. Will post when I have it.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: 07 X3 3.0si, 05 Acura TL
I've had all the same problems in my 2007 X3, I just had an accident in it and was considering getting the X5. I know they have the same engine for the 3.0si, if the X5 has the same transmission issues, I won't be getting the X5. I"ve had enough...a shame, b/c I really like it otherwise. Maybe I'll take a look at the new Infiniti EX35.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:58 PM

UPDATE:

Relay is repaired, and all codes have disappeared. They test drove it once today, and did not notice a problem. Foreman wants to test drive it himself tomorrow. Turns out the tranny is cooled by its own cooling system adjacent radiator, and that lead to tranny overheating. Not sure what long-term impact this will have on vehicle, but it is not good at all to have overheated tranny fluid based on my experience (viscosity breaks down, etc.). There's nothing like metal against metal. Extended warranty, here I come.

I hope to pick the X5 up Friday (assuming driving tests are fine tomorrow). It will be good to have it back.

Good news, though, is that tire has a nail in it, and I purchased the road hazard plan. Tech advised of problem today. Wife thought it bad idea, but it's paying off now.

Reln
Old 01-23-2008, 05:01 PM

Reln - Can you be more specific on the relay? Which relay? They are still working on mine.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 (E70)
Unhappy 07 4.8i Transmission Issues

I am having exactly the same problems as all of you. Uneven accelleration hesitation in 2nd gear to the point of redlining to get up hills. Very strange. Mine has been in now 8 times in the first year of ownership. Many "could not duplicates". Regional Service Guy finally has gotten involved. Maybe the analogy to X3 similar problems is worth exploring further. It is embarassing to have business associates ride in the expensive vehicle and feel the uneven performance.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5, 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsklar View Post
I am having exactly the same problems as all of you. Uneven accelleration hesitation in 2nd gear to the point of redlining to get up hills. Very strange. Mine has been in now 8 times in the first year of ownership. Many "could not duplicates". Regional Service Guy finally has gotten involved. Maybe the analogy to X3 similar problems is worth exploring further. It is embarassing to have business associates ride in the expensive vehicle and feel the uneven performance.
I was fortunate enough to have BMW NA buy back my X3 for the tranmission issue and I replaced it with a 3.0 X5. The transmission in the X5 is German built and much smoother. I have non of the issues you are talking about. Btw, I didn't get anywhere until I hooked up with BMW NA in New Jersey.

Then:
'07 X5 3.0 Alpine, Tobacco, Dark Burl, Sport, Tech, Premium, Rear climate, 3d row seat, ipod & running boards.
'07 X3, Silver Gray, Gray, Gray Poplar, Auto (gone and forgotten)
'03 Z4, 2.5, M. Blue, Black, MT, Sport, Premium. (RIP)
'95 325i, E36, Blk, Blk, auto, premium
'89 325i, E30, 1st one, Platinum Bronze, Black leatherette, MT.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:37 PM
spective

Mein Auto: BMW 2008 550i
Are any of the problems mentioned in this thread present in the 2008 models? I've recently test drove both a 2007 and 2008 X5 4.8i, and the 2008 felt much more responsive and clean. I couldn't quite put my finger on what felt different on the 07, but the engine felt somewhat sluggish. I currently have a 2008 on order, but have been taking a look at a few remaining 2007 models because of the great pricing running until the end of the month.

Last edited by jraneses; 01-24-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: x5 4.4 BMW
Delay on the first gear

I'm having delay on my first gear x5, 4.4 year 2000. please help anybody...
Old 01-27-2008, 03:27 PM

UPDATE

(Ron: The relay was the auxiallary fan relay, which is apparently located behind one of the front panels (they had to remove said panel to get to it). I spoke to the technician, who inidicated (GET THIS) that the service manuals for the techs for the 2007 X5s are NOT CORRECT. He stated that the wiring diagrams "took him down the wrong path", but both he and the SA advised that this is normal, and would be corrected with BMW. Stunning!)

According to the tech (read: I STILL do not have the car back, going on 1.5 weeks), the car does not have the acceleration trouble anymore.

The best part is that after I advised my SA that I had Road Hazard warranty, instead of REPLACING my run-flat tire, they merely repaired it, and they TRIED TO CHARGE ME FOR IT when I went to pick it up on Friday.

I, of course, was very angry, and refused to take the car, inasmuch as the warranty covers REPLACING a run-flat in event of a flat (in my case, a nail). The better part is that NEITHER the SA NOR the tech figured out the tires were run flat until after asking me TWICE if I was SURE I had them, THEN taking me to the car and VERIFYING that for themseles("We've never seen this type of tire before" was a good quote). OF course, they do not carry those tires in stock (this was Friday), so they had to order another tire (delivery date is supposedly Tuesday, but I am not holding my breath).

Better yet, the SA "forgot" I told him about the Road Hazard warranty (aren't they supposed to have this information in their computer???) Couple that with no one at the service center inspecting the tire to SEE WHAT KIND OF TIRE IT IS, and I am one unhappy purchaser at the moment.

I'll update more if and when I get my car back. AT the least, I am saving gas money by driving the 328xi. So far, in the 7 months I have had the car, I have had the following issues:

1. Low oil (after 3 months driving)--according to tech this is due to engine not being fully seated yet, but in view of item (4) below, I am not so sure;
2. Burned out turn signal (this took 4 days to order/replace);
3. Recall (all of you 07 X5 owners should have received a mailer about this) due to electrical discharge problem (initally estimated that repair would take an hour, but it took 1.5 days at my center);
4. Acceleration issue (believed to be caused by faulty relay, and compounded by lack of proper wiring diagrams on this model, in repair two occasions for same issue, for a total (as of today) of 15 days);
5. Flat tire (this happens to anyone, but BEWARE of the center failing to identify EITHER if you have Road Hazard Warranty OR if your tire is even run-flat)--in shop for 5 days to replace the tire.

Reln
Old 01-28-2008, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5
Relniius,

What dealer are you working with? I want to know so I can avoid them
Old 01-28-2008, 09:21 AM

OK - My guys (BMW of Austin) have come up with the same solution as yours Relinius, (the auxiliary fan relay). They say they definitively have solved it. Although randomly, they couldn't get it to reproduce this time, once they started going down the relay path, they unplugged the aux fan completely and then could get the problem to reproduce instantly. Then they were able to replace the relay, and, according to them, problem fixed. They did not mention faulty wiring diagrams, but I didn't ask either. As they described the problem to me in laymen's terms, they said becasue the relay was intermittently faulty, when it was not working the car would cut back on power as a engine safety measure (ie, to keep it from overheating). In other words, the car is smarter enough to not overheat itself if the fan isn't working. The diagnostic problem was that because of the intermittant nature of the relay, no codes were being throw. Sounds logical to me (I think).

Anyway, I'm on my way to pick up my car. I'll see what happens, but I'm assuming it is fixed.

BTW, I've ran over a nail and my guys replaced the runflat tire immediately, no questions asked. My service has been great so far. BMW of Austin (owned by Penske) is really customer focused.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:28 AM

First off, I have the car and it runs like new (for the moment and hopefully for good). For anyone else that has the issue, below is what my service form stated, verbatim. See my post immediatly above for a layman's explanation. If the problem recurs, I'll post, but I'm assuming it is fixed.

"Faulty engine relay fan. Read fault memory in vehicle. Only fault found was 2EFE stored for open circuit electric fan. Removed the connector x1797. Tested for power and ground. Found no voltage to the fan motor. Then check for power at the rear distribution box fuse 127 had battery voltage. Then removed the right front inner fender liner and checked the voltage at the relay. Had the proper voltage going into the relay and no votage coming out due to a faulty relay. Disconnected the battery removed and replaced the relay. Cleared fault memory and test drove vehicle. Vehicle shifting normally at this time on test drive with shop foreman."

Bsklar, you need to print out this thread and take it into the shop with you and have them read it while you are there.

Last edited by Ron Dunn; 01-28-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:44 AM

Ron:

Great post! I am hopeful mine works as well when I (hopefully) pick it up tomorrow.

Paul:

Dealer for service I've been using is BMW San Antonio (there's only one BMW dealership here). I have been advised in the past that BMW Austin is worth the trip up there. I bought the car from a Houston dealership, after researching and visiting the San Antonio one and hearing/learning of bad experiences/difficulty in getting a good price for new vehicle.

That being said, I have spoken with some folks who have had nothing but great experiences there. For me, though, the experience has been painful, at best. Folks rarely return calls when you're trying to set an appointment up (it took me weeks, literally, to get seen on this problem, and only because I drove the car into the dealership after many fruitless phone attempts and read a riot act to three different people), and SAs are generally not available on phone (I sat in the dealership on Friday next to the receptionist and listened (in 30 minutes) to no fewer than 10 calls where the SA was unavailable/with a customer (which may have been true, but just exemplifies the problem I was having).

They need another dealership for this city, which has grown way more than the current one can handle.

Reln
Old 01-29-2008, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
In December I took delivery of a 2008 BMW X5 3.0si. This is my third X5 -- my previous 2005 and 2002 X'5's were superb and I never had any complaints with either of them.
The 2008 suffers from the same problem identified above, acceleration hesitation with an approximate 3 second delay and distressing lackluster performance. I have taken the car to service only to be told that it is simply the model, and also drove yet another new X5 3.0si with the same issue. After owning two other X5's I am very familiar with how they should perform. This is enormously frustrating with a car that is a little over a month old. I am hoping that the relay problem identified in an earler post may be the problem. The car will go back to service next week. I have been dealing with BMW directly which has not been helpful. It has taken much research to find myself here with a possible solution. I will followup with how this shakes out.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:40 AM

Good luck JBR!

I picked up car, and it drives fine now (thank goodness). All's well on the home front.

Tell them to test the auxillary fan relay directly. Ron's post above virtually mimics mine for the same issue, so use that as a reference.

Reln
Old 01-30-2008, 01:17 PM

Reln,
Glad to hear that your ride is also fixed. Please post if you have any recurrance. I will do the same. This bb was great for working through the issue, together with the SAs.

Ron
Old 01-31-2008, 02:02 PM

Agreed Ron.

Here's what my tech form stated (verbatim) for those having similar problems:

"10220 Power supply relay faulty interrogate fault memory found faults 2EFE 2F17 oil temp. Perform test plan for 2EFE and fan tested Ok as per relay not supplying power to fan. Remove rt ft inner fender to gain access to relay and replace power supply relay. Work time for performing test moduals for fan and DME. Check for power at fan pin 2 of X1797 found none. Check for pwoer at x17278 found ok check for power at x 17279 found none. Check for power at x17282 pin 1 and 2 found ok found no power going thru relay and dme ok."

Seems to me the fault is 2EFE that we have in common.

Reln