Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 01-11-2008, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 1985 528e
1985 idle/stalls/buzzing noise

Hi...you good ole friend jkbmw with his 528e. in the last few weeks i have taken an poor old car and put in new interior, switches and repaired just about everything I could think of…guess I didn’t think of enough!

So, I get in my car to take it to my BMW shop 50 minutes away. On the way down the clutch stops working. We eventually got that one fixed but here is the problem. The car ran pretty good when on the highway but at a stop light the engine would idle okay for a minute then start to idle rough…to the point where it was going to shut off. I found some vacuum leaks and fixed them. Along with this was a persistent buzzing, humming noise from the back of the car.

It has a new pump in the tank but the outside pump has not been replaced. They wanted a killer amount to do something I could do so I had the put in a new filter. Still, no go…so I have to have them replace the pump. Towing it out will equal the same amount after I do the work.

Do you think the engine stalling is related to the tank buzzing noise?
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Yes. The tank pump is just a "transfer pump" as the main pressure is provided by the external pump. replace this one (a little bit pricey though!) and you should be good to go. Thats the beauty of owning an old car, just when you think that you finished fixing it you have to start all over again!

Good Luck!
Old 01-11-2008, 04:17 PM

thank you....i hope your right...driving it down there and having the clutch slave cyl. go out was just too funny. i told my wife I felt like someone in a simulator with a bunch of instructors in the bad killing things to see how i would react! :-)
Old 01-11-2008, 04:21 PM

oh...one other thing...any other hint on items to watch out for? i have replaced most of the switches, internal tank pump, it has a new clutch, new brakes, new tires and all of the warning sensors have been fixed. the water pump, timing belt are new...any other majoy thing to save up for? :-)
Old 01-12-2008, 11:49 AM

Dod you changed the distributor cap and rotor? Also, having spare main and fuel pump relays never hurts! If planning in keeping it for a long time plan on changing all of the cooling system hoses, all of the fuel hoses (with proper BMW FI pressure hose) and belts. Those are the major components that with the age of this cars tend to deteriorate (most of them are rubber!).

Good Luck!
Old 01-14-2008, 11:14 AM

Jim....check this out....this is what my mechanic told me about my car now that it has had the pump replaced....

"Jeff, the car runs fine as long as your going down the road. If you sit still at idle, it will eventually stall, but restarts immediately if you press down on the gas pedal a little. That could be affected by the spark plugs and/or air filter, or the throttle position sensor, or many other things. It runs smooth and consistent going down the road though.

any thoughts?
Old 01-14-2008, 03:31 PM

let me add...now that i have picked it up...i notice it seems to miss a little at high speeds (rpm) though when driving down the road it seems more like a little shimmer through the engine...
Old 01-15-2008, 02:49 PM

Well...BMW world...i got it....and yes...without paying the BMW certified mechanic. I spent a ton of cash and their only reply was to charge me another fee to "diagnosis" the same old issue.

I got the car home, cleaned the ICV. Put it back together and started spraying cleaner around all of the vacuum lines. Didn't find anything major so for the heck of it I pulled the vacuum hose on the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Fuel started shooting out the diaphragm side of the valve. So...the bottom line was the car was choking itself to death. I pulled a vavle off my parts car, installed it, cranked it up and the thing runs like a scalded DOG. Since this is my first BMW i was shocked at how it sounds and runs when it is running correctly.

Thanks for everyone help (especially jim). Hope this entry helps someone else...
Old 01-17-2008, 06:48 AM

That's great news! Enjoy your car now! My 535i is waiting to get the head gasket replaced. it overheated last year and even though it runs without overheating it is "pushing" coolant out so there is a break somewhere in the gasket between a combustion chamber and a cooling passage. I decide to park it until it is warm enough to work outside again!

Until then, enjoy your bimmers!

Regards,
Old 01-19-2008, 11:04 AM

still have problems...

jim, the car has run great till today. there is a slight buzzing noise that has come back from the rear of the car. It is loosing power...almost like it is starving for fuel. I replaced the tank pump myself and I paid the rip off shop to put in the external pump and filter. the fuel level was about a quarter of a tank. I stopped and put some fuel in it and it seem to run better. However, i am having a hard time thinking the issue is fuel level...got any thoughts?
Old 01-20-2008, 02:21 PM

Interesting since you just changed both pumps. Maybe there is something wrong with the installation of the internal one or some electrical problem. See the following link:

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=17644

Regards,
Old 01-20-2008, 04:21 PM

it is strange....it is cold here today and yesterday but i pulled the intank pump out myself, used a shop vac and cleaned it. (though it really didn't need it). I drove it and it seemed to do better however when i put the pedal to floor i could feel it wanting to hesitate. However, today, i put close to a full tank of gas in it and all throttle settings it seemed to run great!

Though it isn't up to what I can consider as "reliable" i will keep searching. Thanks for all of your help...and the link...good reading...

if you come across anything else let me know. i will keep searching and looking myself...

jeff
Old 01-23-2008, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: 1986 bmw 535i
i had similar problem with missing/stalling and it was my number one spark plug. it was all carbon-ized and gunked up. must have a sloppy piston ring or maybe the fuel injector is messed up. the replacement spark plug is about 4 months old and it's carboned up again. and missing/stalling.

i gotta look into those fuel pumps though. can you say more about what kind of effect it had on things? and what it was like after?

i haven't replaced my distributor/rotor. that damn thing is expensive.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:41 PM

If your plug is going bad that fast you probably have a leaking fuel injector. You can find a remanufactured set in Ebay relatively cheap (around $90). Usually when the fuel tank is less than a 1/4 and your car starts having problems keeping the engine running is due to one of the pumps being defective. Go to the link that I posted in this same thread.

Good Luck!