Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 02-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 335, 96 Subby legacy
Late ED Report 02/01/2008-02/04/2008

Sorry about the long post

Itinerary:

02/01/2008 – Arrive in Munich. Car delivery, factory tour, and explore Munich nightlife.
02/02/2008 – Drive to Milan from Milan.
02/03/2008 – Explore Milan and drive back overnight
02/04/2008 – Drop off the car and fly back to JFK.

Details:

First of all, apologies about disobeying 12 hour rule by about 15 days. I tried using the Internet at the WELT but couldn’t bear those German keyboards. Anyways, 3 days in Europe and I must say this was the best vacation EVER.

My brother and I made the trip to Munich. We booked our tickets in quite advance and got a great hotel and airline tickets ($365 using kayak.com). So always book ahead and save. Traveled on Lufthansa out of JFK to Munich and back direct. Lufthansa is definitely top-tier airline. Though currently all of their long-haul fleet airplanes do not have personal LCD TVs the staff and service is first class.

Day 1: Our flight left NY JFK about 7pm and was on gate in Munich on time around 6am.
Took about an hour to get from gate in Munich airport to get town center Munich. I must say I can why Munich airport is considered one of the best airports in the world, ground transportation is right next to the terminal, everything is so clean, all signs are large direct you exactly where you need to be and airport staff is also very nice if you have to ask them any questions. Bought all train ticket in one shot at the Munich airport.

We had a10:50 appointment at the Welt so we first went to our hotel in town and then to the Welt. We stayed at Kurpfalz Hotel (Schwanthalerstraße 121, Munich). We reserved our hotel via Kayak and TravelRes.com. I really like TravelRes because it allows you to book a room without using your credit card. TravelRes I believe is the largest lodging site at least in Germany. Kurpfalz Hotel was great hotel since it is located in residential part of the town. After taking a little rest at the hotel we took uhan to the welt got there in nick of time. At the Welt we were treated like royalty, for example once we got to the front desk and told them about our delivery appointment the person at the desk rather than giving us direction walked us to the delivery office. All paperwork went smoothly no surprises there. Got the usual simulation tour and very detailed delivery tour of the car. Took the victory lap around the Welt, which felt awesome. After delivery we took a factory tour, which was very impressive though both my brother and I were extremely tired. The factory tour should be must on everybody’s list as it is very good. After the factory tour rather than driving our back to the hotel back in town we left the car in Garage in the Welt for overnight. Welt underground parking is very good and safe. Once we got back to the hotel rather than going out both of us totally crashed. Anyone who needs overnight parking in Munich after the delivery can park at the Welt underground parking garage.

Day 2: Got up bright early around 9. Explore Munich town center and got something to eat. Around 1 took ubahn back to the Welt and picked up the car from the garage started our travel to Milan through Germany, Austria (Innsbruck) and Lake Cuomo, Italy. Filled up the car once but man the gas is very expensive (don’t even want to think about it). Since it was a Saturday there was a lot of traffic at the Austria-German border. Bought Austria and Swiss pass at the toll office. I never put the pass on my car so I think and my Swiss pass is good for a year I can send it someone who is going to be driving through Swiss alp later this year. The Swiss driving toll pass cost me 30euros. We arrived in Milan around 6 o’clock. In Milan we stayed Great Western. Great Western is outside of the city about 5 minutes from the stadium. The hotel was good but nothing to write home about. Great Western has valet parking in a garage about 2 minutes away at the hotel. The parking cost 17 euros. I was very worried about someone valet park my car but told myself to get used to it. Though Milan has great public transpiration for some reason subway stop running after 12 so to check out Milan nightlife we drove into the City. Driving in Italy is not as bad as some claim or maybe I learned driving New York City so rough driving doesn’t bother me. In Italy basically the whole country smokes but Milan does have great nightlife. Got back at the hotel around 2 am and woke up the valet guy.

Day 3: Woke up had breakfast at the hotel and checked out around 11 bought a day pass for subway and buses. We had learned we were very lucky as Inter Milan was playing at home on this day. We headed straight to the stadium and found out first hand that Italian soccer fans are nuts. Man soccer is serious business in Italy. We couldn’t buy tickets to the games because all the tickets sold out in about 45 minutes after the tickets booths opened. Took some pictures of the stadium and headed to the city center. Hung around Milan city center all day and had lunch/dinner at very good Italian restaurant right in town center. Started our drive back from Milan to Munich around 8pm. Right away I realized we had a mistake driving back to Munich from Milan overnight, as we had to go through snowy Alps. First 100 miles from Italy to Munich were fine but after that it got pretty bad at the foot mountain. Throughout all the driving up on the mountain as the temperature dropped snowfall got heavier. Even though my coupe is RWD it handled brilliantly in the snow and we never got totally worried. At times we were the only going up the mountain. While driving up the mountain we saw a really beautiful church at hilltop and decided to stop even though it was snowing. We took the exit and explored Splügen town. It was great since it was unplanned. Got back to Munich around 5 in the morning. Drove around town and got something to eat.

Day 4: Drop off the car at HARMs. Thomas was very quick with paper work and explained how to get to the airport. Got to the airport around 9am for 10:30 flight back to JFK. Got to sleep on the plane since I hadn’t slept previous night. Landed at JFK around 2pm local time.

Overall, it was an amazing trip I would say a little short but then again all good vacation trips feel a little bit short. Took over 1000 pictures.

Pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/omerfar2...ey=hYbFeq3iwkM

p.s. I got the Swiss driving pass if anybody is interested PM me.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Great report. Sounds like a great trip.

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 02-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Current 'Fest Addict

Mein Auto: '08 335i Coupe 6MT
Delivery the day after mine, nice. Glad you enjoyed the trip! Our cars are probably on the same boat

Before: Steel Blue/Grey Leather '05 e46 330xi -- premium, heated, xenon

BMWCCA#: 365964

They really do have heart and soul....
Old 02-16-2008, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 08 335, 96 Subby legacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiboy View Post
Delivery the day after mine, nice. Glad you enjoyed the trip! Our cars are probably on the same boat
yes, i believe they are on Elktra.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to razzy530
Mein Auto: 2007 530i 6 Speed
great pics, thanks for the write-up!! Love the snow pics.

2007 E60 530i - Current
2002 E39 530i - RIP

BMWCCA MEMBER #397411
Old 02-17-2008, 12:38 AM

Mein Auto: '14 435XI
Congrats!

Great Trip!

April 21, 2008 ED Pickup E92 335XI TiAg with Coral Red and Alum Trim
Redelivered - May 30, 2008 Retired
Currently Driving '11 E92 same setup like '08
On Oct, 21 2013 ED Pickup F32 435 x-Drive M-Sport Black with Coral Red