Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-17-2008, 06:22 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
A/D of all people on this website you have been the most neutral and polite.
Thank you.

Quote:
Just about everyone's symptoms are the same. ...
Is the "failure to respond to throttle input while making a left turn" problem fixed now?

Quote:
I have offered several times for BMWNA to "Black Box" the vehicle since it is insane to ask a BMW rep to sit in my car for an extneded period of time. They have refused.
It is possible the current EGS and DME hardware doesn't have enough memory. One of the things I noted on the 128i/135i technical overview was a line about increased fault memory.

BMW could instrument your car the way they do with the engineering cars. I've seen spy photos of BMWs full of lap top computers.
We can hope they've already done that with another X3 and don't need yours. It is also likely the software team working on this isn't even in the US.

A few spy photos:

http://bp0.blogger.com/_WDZcui54SeE/...y_shot_250.jpg
http://allworldcars.com/wordpress/wp...spy-shot-2.jpg

Computer clearly visible in this one:

http://www.channel4.com/4car/gl/gallery/spy+shot/90/

Quote:
Not exactly a normal request but not exactly a normal situation. I don't think they are giving it the attention it deserves.
You could be right. BMW has a huge amount of new car development underway.

X1, e90 facelift, new X3, new Z4, f01 7series, V7/X7 and the Mini SUV are confirmed.

X4, V5, Z9, and Isetta II are rumored.
A new "green" car to be marketed under a new brand name is also rumored.
One unannounced car is going into production at South Carolina.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 02-17-2008 at 06:31 AM. Reason: clean up grammar
Old 02-17-2008, 07:55 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-man View Post
AzMpower32, doesnt that seem a little silly to have to check the build date on the car your are test driving? Oh Im sorry the 40 thousand dollar plus car isnt right. Let me try another. I just picked out one that seemed to have the features I was looking for. It was not a tester vehicle. It was an 08 and should have had that worked out by now Right? Isnt that what people have been saying? I havent discounted the vehicle. Just the AT. Burn me once shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me.
The earlier '08s are likely to have issues as well. I had a '08 X3 as a loaner for one day with no unusual problems. Granted, its not as responsive as my '04, but it's about the same, if not better, than my parents' 325i, and I certainly don't think the 325i is dangerous. The loaner was a 11/08 build, which is after the software release came out.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:08 AM
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT417 View Post
you can still expect a big pregnant pause if you floor it in Drive at around 20mph.
+1

I noticed that in a 335i coupe I auto crossed. The easiest way to get around it on the autocross course was to lock the car in 2nd.

I wouldn't call it a safety hazard. It was more along the lines of I'd prefer a manual.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 02-17-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
And the List Goes On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie View Post
Thank you.

Is the "failure to respond to throttle input while making a left turn" problem fixed now?
Actually this is the one that always shows up. Sunday we have a ritual of going to a certain star bucks that has an uphill right turn to get to. That is where it always staggers and jerks---everytime since I bought it.

Quote:
It is possible the current EGS and DME hardware doesn't have enough memory. One of the things I noted on the 128i/135i technical overview was a line about increased fault memory.

BMW could instrument your car the way they do with the engineering cars. I've seen spy photos of BMWs full of lap top computers.
We can hope they've already done that with another X3 and don't need yours. It is also likely the software team working on this isn't even in the US.

I wont guess about the memory capacity, but with todays memory being so cheap that shouldn't be an issue. And if they had been fully testing it as they should the last release wouldn't have toasted a customers DME as posted on another thread, right?

Quote:
A few spy photos:

http://bp0.blogger.com/_WDZcui54SeE/...y_shot_250.jpg
http://allworldcars.com/wordpress/wp...spy-shot-2.jpg

Computer clearly visible in this one:

http://www.channel4.com/4car/gl/gallery/spy+shot/90/

You could be right. BMW has a huge amount of new car development underway.

X1, e90 facelift, new X3, new Z4, f01 7series, V7/X7 and the Mini SUV are confirmed.

X4, V5, Z9, and Isetta II are rumored.
A new "green" car to be marketed under a new brand name is also rumored.
One unannounced car is going into production at South Carolina.
Lastly if they are so focused on new development that they forget about current customers that is one of the major marketing mistakes. Forget about you core clients. They are your biggest supporters and most vocal when you don't keep your promises.

By not admitting their is a problem and working with customers openly they are losing a level of trust that will be hard to regain.

As it stand now I am just exploring options til I can get rid of my X3. It's nice to have a vehicle I can put my family in..the 528 is doing nicely and since the 335 doesnt have the crap (and that is the nicest words I can come up with) tranny it might be an nice alternative.

Last edited by Evlengr; 02-17-2008 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Question

Quote:
Actually this is the one that always shows up. Sunday we have a ritual of going to a certain star bucks that has an uphill right turn to get to. That is where it always staggers and jerks---everytime since I bought it.
For those of you with the tranny problems this is one of the things I was wondering about. Is there a section of road near your dealership where you can consistently demonstrate the problem to the SA or mechanic? If you can/have, do they still insist it's normal?
Old 02-17-2008, 10:18 AM
STEVIL Empire

Mein Auto: 2007 E92 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
The earlier '08s are likely to have issues as well. I had a '08 X3 as a loaner for one day with no unusual problems. Granted, its not as responsive as my '04, but it's about the same, if not better, than my parents' 325i, and I certainly don't think the 325i is dangerous. The loaner was a 11/07 build, which is after the software release came out.
I fixed your post.....

2014 E84 xDrive28i 8AT-Alpine White/Black Nevada/Silver Matte w/ZMV,ZLP,494 - DD 3/14/14
Old 02-17-2008, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
The earlier '08s are likely to have issues as well.
Possibly. I had a 12/07 and now I have a 09/07. The 12/07 was actually the most erratic up until at least 600 miles. The 09/07 has been much smoother from the beginning but with less than 300 miles so far I'm withholding final judgement. Although the 09/07 is by no means lazy, the 12/07 seemed more responsive and connected, like the feel you would get from a manual. I don't know if that's just a function of the different characteristics of the sport(09/07) vs. non-sport(12/07) chassis or if it reflects an applied software update. I'll try to remember to update once I find out if the two cars had different versions.

Last edited by HT417; 02-17-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
NHTSA report

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-sea View Post
I Reported to NHATSA This morning.
I did, too. Although, I'm out of town and didn't have my VIN with me. Hope that doesn't matter. Now on to BBB.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:43 AM
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
I wont guess about the memory capacity, but with todays memory being so cheap that shouldn't be an issue.

The DME is a Siemens MSV 80. I'm looking for data.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 Volvo S60R
As a long time lurker and someone who is considering an 07 X3, I find this saga very disturbing. I am off to test drive the vehicle during this coming week and even if I like it, may have to pass for fear of another problem child.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoon View Post
I am off to test drive the vehicle during this coming week and even if I like it, may have to pass for fear of another problem child.
Interesting approach. So assuming you take the car for a long test drive, really go over it with a fine tooth comb, and like the vehicle and the way the transmission works, you may not buy it because OTHER PEOPLE have issues with their cars?

How bout you use the posts on this board to help you look for potential problems while you are taking the car on a test drive. That way you can MAKE YOUR OWN DECISION. But if you typically let other people make your car buying choices for you, then don't pay any attention to this post.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 Volvo S60R
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledeclutch View Post
Interesting approach. So assuming you take the car for a long test drive, really go over it with a fine tooth comb, and like the vehicle and the way the transmission works, you may not buy it because OTHER PEOPLE have issues with their cars?
Possibly. I have been through the growing pains of one problem child and spotty dealer support and don't need another.

Quote:
How bout you use the posts on this board to help you look for potential problems while you are taking the car on a test drive. That way you can MAKE YOUR OWN DECISION. But if you typically let other people make your car buying choices for you, then don't pay any attention to this post.
That's what I plan on doing.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:

+1. The proportion of people on this board isn't representative of the population either. There are many voices here, and in the real world, that are unheard because well, they're happy with their vehicle and don't need to complain.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x3
Dealerships

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiell View Post
El-sea, I live on the Westside, I'm curious what dealers have you been to and what are your reviews of them? I personally go to SMBMW, and though the SA's are very pleasant, I have had many instances where my X5 was not properly fixed and I had to bring it back in for the same repair. Totally unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. Many of the guy's in the shop seem to be incompetent, and unfortunately the SA's don't appear to check their work.
Asseal in Monrovia, Irvine BMW and Crevier in Santa Ana. Crevier was the best and most hepful. But ruled by BMWNA The attorny I hired is in Claremont.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x3
test with SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT417 View Post
For those of you with the tranny problems this is one of the things I was wondering about. Is there a section of road near your dealership where you can consistently demonstrate the problem to the SA or mechanic? If you can/have, do they still insist it's normal?
My problems seem a bit more severe than just uphill right or left. Mine lunges forward after taking my foot off of the trodle and before I can get to the brake. Not to mention the up hill right in cold temps when it went completely into nuetral on its own, the constant red line and grab a gear and jerk everyone in the car. And no ... no hills near the dealerships here. But I might just try finding a hill and seeing if it happens constantly then find a 4the dealr to take it to!
Old 02-17-2008, 04:55 PM

Arrow And the band played on!

El-sea, your attorney should have told you not to discuss it with any BMWNA agent of any sort at this time. I was told in order for the attorney to do their job correctly it helps avoid the "He said--She said" syndrome. In other words no one can claim that one party or another said something they didn't. (As we are somewhat anonymous on this board)

The people that have the constant optimism with the X3 are the ones that don't have the problem. And using their logic their is a multitude of people that don't know about web sites like this or are afraid to step forward with this problem. So you don't hear about them either.

Now to play devil's advocate I can understand why they feels this way.

When a BMW runs right it's awesome. When it doesn't its dangerous.

I have had a 528xi loaner for the better part of four days now. Even my wife who has not been in my X3 since the last episode commented on how nice it shifted and how smooth the acceleration is. This has made me consider the 335xi as a replacement for the X3 because it has AWD and a different transmission (kinda' throws the, "All AWD's drive this way out the window response" I got from the dealer). It seems to be in the same price point as the X3 so it seems for me to be a logical replacement.

So next time the dealer says all AWD's drive this was, ask them to take a cruise in one of the AWD Xi models that have the different transmission. Then have them try to explain their way out of it again.

I dont know what the common denominator is at this point, but maybe like the old detroit joke, this is a Monday car. We will probably never know since BMWNA is very guarded about the smallest thing, let along this crappy tranny.

Don't buy the hype. If you have one of the bad transmissions it's not going to get better. BMWNA has been given over a year to correct this. Their latest SIB release damaged the DME beyond use.

Just ask for a Trade Assist, and if they say no, just send a letter to BMWNA informing them you will seek Lemon Law actions. This was they have no choice to but deal with it.
If you choose another X3 that is up to you, but at least this way it up to you!

Last edited by Evlengr; 02-17-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:43 PM
HMFIC

Mein Auto: 2002 ///M3
Quote:
Their latest SIB release damaged the DME beyond use.
One person's account/issue. And we don't know the details of it.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:40 PM

Cool The Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
I was told by the Master Mechanic from BMWNA that they wouldn't run it to due to "flaws".

Actually well established the last SIB doesn't work, but here is another posters word for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie View Post

Who knows BMW continues to release updates. The most recent one made things worse and was pulled. Presumably, they will fix it and release it again.
I was ready to give up on BMW until this weekend. I have a 528xi as a loaner.

Here's a more positive spin than my normal posts:

What are the advantages v. disadvantages of the 335Xi vs the X3 (other than the obvious height/clearance, panoramic roof, and hatchback)?
Old 02-17-2008, 06:48 PM
HMFIC

Mein Auto: 2002 ///M3
The facts....LOL!

Good luck.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:47 PM

No Comment

Quote:

Good luck.
yeah MJS I have the SIB sheet from the Master Mechanic BMWNA sent out to check my car. I spoke to him personally and asked him about the last update, and if they would be releasing a newer one in the near future. His comment was there were "Flaws" in the last update.

How much more factual do you want?

Since BMWNA won't even admit there is a problem I would say that is the most official word around.

More importantly--- Any feedback on X3 vs 335xi?

Last edited by Evlengr; 02-17-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoon View Post
Possibly. I have been through the growing pains of one problem child and spotty dealer support and don't need another.

That's what I plan on doing.
good decision! my x3 ran fine for the first few hunderd miles, so a test drive and a fine tooth comb won't necessarily tell you the truth about the transmission. Getting educated about an issue is a great way to make your own decision. I wouldn't take a (another) $40k risk right now either considering the evidence.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:11 PM
resU deretsigeR

Quote:

More than one report on this forum. And BMW pulled the update.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
why so negative

can those of you who do NOT have transmission issue PLEASE tell those of us that do/did WHY you are SO hostile and angry that we talk about it, and to a degree, blame US for the problem?? Be thankful your X3 doesn't have the problem and be sympathetic to those of us who do/did.

why is that so hard for you?

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 02-17-2008, 08:54 PM

dupe post removed.

-----
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
Old 02-17-2008, 09:00 PM

can those of you who do NOT have transmission issue PLEASE tell those of us that do/did WHY you are SO hostile and angry that we talk about it, and to a degree, blame US for the problem?? Be thankful your X3 doesn't have the problem and be sympathetic to those of us who do/did.

why is that so hard for you?

-----

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan