Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 02-07-2008, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 530i and 1984 325e
Question Continual problems with check engine/rough idle

Hi all,

This is my first posting, so if I'm doing something wrong please let me know.

I am having trouble with my 530i 1995 with about 180k.

Ever since I've bought it's appeared to be somewhat of a lemon. Had to replace suspension, two O2 sensors, air flow sensor, engine computer, and still having problems.

So first I replaced the O2's because of check engine light and rough idle. The problem continued and they replaced the air flow sensor, which they now think was unnecessary. Finally it wouldn't start, so I had it taken in and the problem was the engine computer, which would explain bad readings on the sensors right? Well all was wonderful until a few hundred miles later, here comes the check engine light.

For another few hundred miles that occurred then the rough idle came back. It does this mainly at stop when car is below running temp and even at times when at the right temp. The idle is now either very light (still rougher then when ce light is off) or very rough and jumpy, the roughness persists until at about 5mph, so during acceleration.

I know this is a lot of information and it may not be organized very well, however I don't want to keep taking it back to the mechanic and dumping money into it if there is something I can do, even if that thing is getting rid of the car. Please let me know what I can do or any direction I can point my mechanic in.

Thank All
Giuseppe
Chico, Ca
Ads by Google
Old 02-07-2008, 10:33 AM
The Biggest P0st Whore!!

Mein Auto: 91 525i
You have an air leak.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 530i
530? have you had a compression test done?
Old 02-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, PORSCHE, LOTUS
Your car could be eating ecu. Check the alternator voltage, or you could have a bad coil pack. Buy a new coil pack and swap out each one until the problem disappear.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:45 PM
love the tanks

Send a message via MSN to sstuner
Mein Auto: 95 540 6
or you could get the multi meter out and check the resistance of the coils, the info is the bentley of what the specs should be

and somewhere on here someone put up the link to download it
Old 02-10-2008, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 e34 bmw 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer dot info View Post
You have an air leak.
myne seems to be idling ruf and it doesn't have nikosil and haven't looked at the coils or sparks plugs since i bought it. but were would this air leak be on the intake or exhaust manifold ?
Old 02-10-2008, 04:10 PM

oil pump

ive been reading around alot of 530i owners have been removing there oil pans finding bolts from the oil pump does anyone suggest that i get this checked out just the other day i herd like clunk come from my engine. its been idleing ruf. i just noticed this shakes the hole car. this never happend before until i started hereing these clunks im very streesed out over this im goin for my roadtest soon and cant have anything go wrong during the test. im goin to see if me and my dads friend who is a mechanic remove the oil pan and see what surprises us. i also think this could be a warning sign from the engine idleing ruf this only happens when the engine is warm because thats when the oil pump would be working the most (it would def be losing pressure). is it hard to remove the oil pan im goin to order a new gasket from BMA auto parts. if by some luck i need a new oil pump can anyone tell me were i can get a new one.

DOES ANY ONE KNOW HOW I CAN PERFORM A TEST TO SEE IF IM LOSEING OIL PRESSURE
Old 02-11-2008, 04:13 PM

You will have to tap in to the oil system such as where the oil pressure sending unit is located and attach a manual oil gauge. You will be able to read the oil pressure from the gauge.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf-porsche View Post
You will have to tap in to the oil system such as where the oil pressure sending unit is located and attach a manual oil gauge. You will be able to read the oil pressure from the gauge.
can i buy like a boost gage that is for oil pressure and put it on my dash
Old 02-12-2008, 07:05 AM
The Biggest P0st Whore!!

Mein Auto: 91 525i
Basically. This is not for our cars but it will give you a good idea.
http://www.grandprix.net/upgrades/oilgauge.html
Old 02-12-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer dot info View Post
Basically. This is not for our cars but it will give you a good idea.
http://www.grandprix.net/upgrades/oilgauge.html
ok thank you
Old 02-21-2008, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 530i and 1984 325e
Have been busy and unable to post recently. However got smoke run through the engine...results showed that the intake leaked heavily. All four double loop gaskets were leaking (on the sides of manifold) and the gaskets from each end leaked. If nothing else is wrong, fixing these gaskets should solve the problem. Taking her in tommorrow morning, I'll let you guys know what happens.

A follow up question, is there anything I should be concerned about that may have gone wrong due to this big air leak? Any parts, sensors, etc... that may have been affected?

Thanks again

Giuseppe
Old 02-21-2008, 04:19 PM

i think i might replaces all my gaskets too
Old 02-21-2008, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: 91 E34
If you have rough idle the coils along with their boots need to be replaced. and change the plugs while your at it, no special plugs stick with the stock plugs.

Last edited by brians900@aol.c; 02-21-2008 at 04:58 PM. Reason: poor grammer
Old 02-21-2008, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: '94 BMW 530i
I had a ruff idle and changed out the plugs and was going to change out the injectors since I see spark in the eight cylinder and plug is sort of wet but assumed maybe it was off timing...

Well I sheared a bolt to the belt tensioner and had to take it to a mechanic. he tapped out the bolt and did a diagnostic check. No compression on the eight cylinder!

He wasn't sure if it was a piston or valve, but it isn't smoking so I am assuming it is a valve... Anyone had this problem and idea how much it may cost to fix, non-dealer wise?

Has anyone switched out an engine on a '94 530i?

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bob View Post
I had a ruff idle and changed out the plugs and was going to change out the injectors since I see spark in the eight cylinder and plug is sort of wet but assumed maybe it was off timing...

Well I sheared a bolt to the belt tensioner and had to take it to a mechanic. he tapped out the bolt and did a diagnostic check. No compression on the eight cylinder!

He wasn't sure if it was a piston or valve, but it isn't smoking so I am assuming it is a valve... Anyone had this problem and idea how much it may cost to fix, non-dealer wise?

Has anyone switched out an engine on a '94 530i?

Thanks!
do you have nikosil maby the upper lip finally corroded away
Old 02-22-2008, 11:51 AM
love the tanks

nikasil was a problem.
the gas companies took the sulfur out of the gas so it is not a problem anymore.

do a leak down test, that will tell you where the problem is.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:10 PM

Hey Ssttuner...

Sorry to look dum, but how do you go about doing a leak down test. Also, will this be able to tell if it is a piston or valve?

Wife is ready to tell me to dump the car... Think when she is asleep, bimmer and I are running for the boarder, LOL!!

Thanks...
Old 02-22-2008, 05:12 PM
love the tanks

first off, no need to apologise, and you are not dum, you are driving the ultiate driving machine

alright here is the skinny its kind of a long explanation. but it doesnt take very long to do, i can do a v-10 diesel engin in about 10 minutes. and i know diesels dont have spark plugs, they have glow plugs and i pull those out and do the compression test and the leak down test.

a leak down test is where you put compressed air into a cylinder, but you need a special guage set to do it. you should be able to pick one up and any auto parts store. and its good to have, i have a nice snap on one for testing diesel engines, but i use mine all the time a cheap one will do the same thing.

1 remove spark plugs. take the air filter cover off, remove the rad cap, remove the oil cap. and turn off the radio.

2. ensure that the cylinder to be tested is at top dead center (TDC). thats where the piston is at the top and the valves are closed.

3. hook up guage, just like a compression guage, and then hook up the air line,

4. turn the valve so air goes through the guage into the cylinder. watch the harmonic balancer, it should not move, if it does release the air and move the crank shaft until the piston and the connecting rod are straight, it i not a realy big deal because you are only using 100psi i have to use 300 or so at work.

5. look at the guage, if it is in the green its perfect, if it is in the yelow there is something wrong and if it is in the red or reading zero then you have some serious problems.

6. make sure that the cylinder you are testing is at TDC. many an engine has been replaced because the piston wasnt in the right spot.

7. piston is in the right spot, compressed air working and guage is on, listen. if you hear air leaking then there is something wrong.

a. air from the oil fill hole. piston rings are the normal cause.
b. air from the air filter . intake valve
c. air from the exhaust. exhaust
d. air from the adjecent cylinder, head gasket.
e. air and/or bubbles in the expansion tank. head gasket, cracked head, cracked block

if there is air anywhere else then the piston is not at TDC and you have to adjust. then redo tests.

if you dont have an air compressor then i would take it back to the guy that did the compression test and get him to do it, it doesnt take very long. if he has no clue how to do it then i would find a different guy that knows how to diagnose a fault in an engine.

so now to my question, when he says no compression, does he mean ZERO or there is a little bit or is there some and then it leaks. it could be something as simple as a head gasket, but mind you a head gasket is not realy that simple.

as far as changing the engine over, the biggest pain is going to be getting the transmission off, fancy german bolts, i love them.

hope this helps you out, let me know what you find out
Old 02-23-2008, 12:53 PM

Wow! You are awesome Sstuner. The way you explane it makes perfect common sense. I was going to get one of those tiny cameras contractors use when they drill a hole in the wall and see what's inside, but wasn't sure if it would fit in the spark plug hole.

The way you explain it, I know there is a solution other than total tear down.

Thanks, I will let you know what I find out.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:27 PM
love the tanks

hey glad i could be some help

and you are talking about a bore- scope, and they are awesome but i wouldnt buy one for a once in a while use, i have a wicked expensive one at work and it just sits in the box on the locker, i havent used it in over a year and i cant even remember if it takes batteries or not.

gramps has an old one at his house which i used to other day, i think it was built in the 70s but he worked on jet airlines so for him it was important.

well i realy want to find out whats wrong with your ride now.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:37 PM

my check engine came on at 5:30 am when i was goin to work then went off after i floored it but it has me worried i think i should change my o2 sensors. goin to the dealer on Wensday to have them read the codes
Old 02-25-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e34bmw530i3.0L View Post
my check engine came on at 5:30 am when i was goin to work then went off after i floored it but it has me worried i think i should change my o2 sensors. goin to the dealer on Wensday to have them read the codes

Nope, wait until they read the code. It might not be an 02 sesnor issue, but a ECT issue.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf-porsche View Post
Nope, wait until they read the code. It might not be an 02 sesnor issue, but a ECT issue.
ok the o2 hasn't been changed for long long time
Old 02-26-2008, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: 540&316
re rough idle & oil pump bolts

I would say that the rough idle is due to pcv valve on back of inlet manifold being broke - if you google it you should find replacement method - it will be sucking oil into the inlet manifold

re oil pump bolts i would definately take the sump off - my car had 5 bolts out and lying in the pan