Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Old 08-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Aprilia Scarabeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by schley View Post
I always build in an option for the dealer and let them select.

1k over invoice, 625 acquistion, buy rate
800 over invoice, 825 acquistion, buy rate
800 over invoice, 625 acquistion, .0002 mf mark up
600 over invoice, 825 acquistion, .0002 mf mark up

this is an example but the premise is exactly the same.

Forgive my ignorance - what is meant by the "buy rate" Is this the base MF that is later marked up by dealer's. . .if so - how do I find out what the buy rate is for this month for a 328i sedan.

Thank you.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Instant Lease Quotes

Send a message via AIM to LeaseCompare
Mein Auto: M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
Forgive my ignorance - what is meant by the "buy rate" Is this the base MF that is later marked up by dealer's. . .if so - how do I find out what the buy rate is for this month for a 328i sedan.

Thank you.
Yes, it is the rate the dealer starts at and is provided by BMWFS. The rates are posted at the top of this forum.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseCompare View Post
Yes, it is the rate the dealer starts at and is provided by BMWFS. The rates are posted at the top of this forum.

I really appreciate your posts. Is there any reason BMWFS will not publish their own rates publically?

If it were not for your posts, we'd all be suffering when negotiating leases.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Instant Lease Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJSChris View Post
I really appreciate your posts. Is there any reason BMWFS will not publish their own rates publically?

If it were not for your posts, we'd all be suffering when negotiating leases.
Pretty much the same reason BMW does not post the invoice prices.

I'll accept any premium or ISOM cigars in exchange for providing this information
Old 08-09-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseCompare View Post
I'll accept any premium or ISOM cigars in exchange for providing this information
But of course =-)
Old 08-14-2007, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Questions on "returning customer" and MSD's

I'm about to take delivery on a 535xi. 2 questions please:

#1 - Can I be considered a returning BMWFS customer (and potenitally get a better lease deal / lower MF) even though I haven't leased a BMW in 2 years? I have leased several in the past but am now turning in a Land Rover and going back to a BMW. My SA initially said I would be eligible, then was unsure...I'm wondering if he's trying to keep the difference as profit. Queston 1A - is there currently incentives for returnin customers?

#2 - is multiple security deposits available to all customers, or is it regulated by state? When I mentioned it my SA acted like he knew nothing about it.

Thanks in advance - I would greatly appreciate a quick response since my 5er is due in any day.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimO'B View Post
#2 - is multiple security deposits available to all customers, or is it regulated by state? When I mentioned it my SA acted like he knew nothing about it.
It is available to all customers, but some states impose limits on the amount you can deposit.

MSD's are not a common practice by a vast majority lessee's (Bimmerfest, et al, excluded), thus, some SA's no nothing about it.

Also, it's not an advertised program, at all. The only official BMW reference I could find was on BMW's Canadian website: http://www.bmw.ca/finservices/leasin...le.asp?lang=en. Also, there is no reference to this program on http://www.bmwusa.com

Ask your SA to call the Retail Communications Center at "1-877-BMW-DLRS (1-877-269-3577), option #6." If you search the net for "Retail Communications Center" you'll find a link, which has the number.

This post details how it works: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=221741

Last edited by XJSChris; 08-14-2007 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks in advance - I would greatly appreciate a quick response since my 5er is due in any day.
you didn't negotiate any of this (lease rates, et al.) prior to ordering?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJSChris View Post
you didn't negotiate any of this (lease rates, et al.) prior to ordering?
I locked in the July base rate of .00285, knowing that it could only go down if BMWFS changed it in Aug or Sept (I see it went down to .0026 in Aug). When we were negotiating my SA said there was some sort of lease incentive for returning customers (I assume it was a lower MF)...I've just read some other threads and it looks like once you're 6+months out of a lease you're no longer considered a returning customer. It also looks like multiple SD's don't fly in NYS. I think as a new customer, one SD is required anyway...just don't know if this gets me down to the base rate or if it will get me a reduction of .00007 on the MF
Old 08-14-2007, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: LS 430
Quote:
It also looks like multiple SD's don't fly in NYS.
you are right, but if you drive accross the river to NJ, you will be able to do MSD's

2009 Space Grey X5 M-sport, NAV, Active Steering, Leather Heated Seats, USB
2007 AW 335i Sedan, Manual, Sports, CA, Cold, Rear Shade - GONE
Old 09-08-2007, 11:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 platinum bronze x3
Adjusting the miles/yr amt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaBMWFan View Post
You can buy extra miles above 15K/year. I think the rate is 15 or 16 c/mile. If you buy them initially you also get a refund of unused miles over 15K/year if you do not use them by the end of the lease. So for a person driving 22.5K miles per year, the extra charge will be around $1100/year. I would be more concerned about driving the car out of warranty on a 3 year lease than the miles.
The dealer I am negotiating my lease with told me today that I can always adjust the miles/yr amount upwards, as long as I still have a year or more left on the lease. So on my 24mo. lease @10k/yr., if I realize in the 11th month that I'm already at 11k or more, I can ask them to up my amount to 12k per year and begin paying the difference with no $ penalty.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330i
Awesome job on the lease spreadsheet. Used it during lease negotiation over weekend. I actually had the spreadsheet open on my laptop on the CAs desk during the negotiation and was able to use it to reach fair agreement with dealer tweaking the deal parameters while ensuring there was fair profit in it for dealer and good value in deal for myself.

Nice job!
Old 11-05-2007, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: '14 435XI
Great Info for Future Lessee

To all who have posted good info on leasing...

Valuable Information on this forum. Thank you for spending the time to provide new lessees with such valuable information on getting into leasing.

I forgot what commercial it was from that said "An educated consumer is our best customer". Was it Syms?

Thank you guys...

Old 11-25-2007, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: Mazdaspeed Mx-5
Great information here. Keep up the good work. Two quick questions:

1) When you pay tax, I assume you pay on what you are using. So it would be the Cap Cost - Residual. Is this correct? Because a dealer said I would pay tax on the depreciation as well as the interest, here in Georgia. In that case, there wouldn't be any benefit of paying the tax upfront vs. rolling the tax into the monthly payment.

2) Is the inception fee the same as the acquisition fee of $625?

Thanks,
Lee
Old 11-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Instant Lease Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantachap View Post
1) When you pay tax, I assume you pay on what you are using. So it would be the Cap Cost - Residual. Is this correct? Because a dealer said I would pay tax on the depreciation as well as the interest, here in Georgia. In that case, there wouldn't be any benefit of paying the tax upfront vs. rolling the tax into the monthly payment.

2) Is the inception fee the same as the acquisition fee of $625?

Thanks,
Lee
1) In GA you pay sales tax on the monthly payment, monthly. There is no option to pay it all up front.

2) Yes
Old 02-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Petrolhead

Mein Auto: 328i
Damn...

I just got my new Z4 on Friday, and I saw this thread today. I didn't know all this stuff was negotiable...

Well...My monthly payment is $427 before tax and I paid $1,700 at the lease signing. All for a car with an MSRP of $38,900.00

How do you think that is?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Missing Montego

Mein Auto: '11 328i w/ xDrive
Great info. Question though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teo View Post
Cap Cost This is the negotiated price of the car. It is basically the Invoice Price plus Dealer Markup, MACO and any fees (see note 1) and less a Down Payment. There really isn't any negotiation that is done here but you should make sure to check this amount so that no unknown charges will make their way into the deal.
Is this a valid formula for the Cap Cost? Just wanted to make 100% sure so I knew my spreadsheet was correct:
((Invoice + Dealer Markup + MACO&Fees) - Down Payment)

2008 Montego Blue 328xi
2010 Montego Blue 328i w/ xDrive
2011 Deep Sea Blue 328i w/ xDrive
Old 04-14-2008, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 Black 328i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by psucelticXI View Post
Great info. Question though....

Is this a valid formula for the Cap Cost? Just wanted to make 100% sure so I knew my spreadsheet was correct:
((Invoice + Dealer Markup + MACO&Fees) - Down Payment)
You would need to make sure that these fees aren't any that are being paid up front. I would also refer to this amount as adjusted cap cost, based on the BMW FS agreement. (cap cost alone would be without the down payment, or "cap cost reduction")

Quark
Old 04-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Missing Montego

Mein Auto: '11 328i w/ xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren View Post
The way to get a good deal is read this site and look for situations where BMW has bargain buy rates and trunk money ( where the dealer gets money back from BMW ) like right now on the Z4 with a buy rate of .0005 and $1800-$2000 trunk money.
How do you find out about how much "trunk money" is available? Is there any "trunk money" associated with the 328xi sedans at the moment?

2008 Montego Blue 328xi
2010 Montego Blue 328i w/ xDrive
2011 Deep Sea Blue 328i w/ xDrive
Old 08-14-2008, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i sedan
I apologize, I'm new to bimmerfest and I see several of you mentioning the leasing spreadsheet. Where is this located, is it on this thread somewhere to download? Thanks for all the previous info that as been posted its very useful as I plan to lease a '08 328i within the next month
Old 08-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Ich liebe mein BMW

Mein Auto: 08 E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuglo20 View Post
I apologize, I'm new to bimmerfest and I see several of you mentioning the leasing spreadsheet. Where is this located, is it on this thread somewhere to download? Thanks for all the previous info that as been posted its very useful as I plan to lease a '08 328i within the next month
Welcome aboard! Just a couple threads below this one:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60089

-2002 M5 LeMans Blue on Black. Rear Sunshade, M-Sound, Heated Seats, Xenon, PDC
-2004 M3 Convertible. Silver Grey on Grey. SMG, Nav, HK Sound, Heated Seats, Xenon
-2007 335i Jet Black, Terra Leather, Premium, Sport, Step, Paddle, Nav, Comfort Access
-2006 525i Black Sapphire Metallic with Beige, Manual, Nav, HUD, PDC, Xenon
-2002 325i Orient Blue Metallic, Beige interior, Manual, Sunroof
Old 10-30-2008, 10:24 AM
2008 Z43.0i

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4
Thumbs up Lease Calculations by total cost

I would like to thank all the great posters who contribute to this thread and this board. As a newbie considering his first Z4, this really is immensely helpful. I have read the strings on lease calculations, downloaded the lease spreadsheet, and communicated directly with BMWFS on getting 7 or 8 MSDs on my lease. I think I understand money factors, residuals cap costs and other innovative terminology.

Now I have a simplistic question. When trying to figure out the best deal can I use just one number, my total expense over the term of the lease, divided by the MSRP (or dealer cost) to determine that? For example, I am considering leasing my Z4 at $369 per month for 36 months, with a $2500 down payment. This is simply $369x36+2500 = $15784 total cost.

Using Ed103's numbers, his total cost is $427*36+1700=$17,072. Ed, I assumed you had 36 months, please correct.
So If Ed and I were looking at identically configured cars driven the same number of miles, I have the lower cost. I really don't need to know the money factor, residual, cap cost, acquisition, inception fee, etc. Of course sales tax must be added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed103 View Post
I just got my new Z4 on Friday, and I saw this thread today. I didn't know all this stuff was negotiable... Well...My monthly payment is $427 before tax and I paid $1,700 at the lease signing. All for a car with an MSRP of $38,900.00 How do you think that is?
By the way, the MSRP on my Z4 is $41,950; it has the sport package, xenon, heated seats and automatic top. Whaddaya think, should I go for it?

Last edited by BigMoneyWasted; 10-30-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:05 PM
Z4 M coupe, F07 550i GT

Mein Auto: Z4MCoupe, 550 GT, 840Ci
(not a shill)
I downloaded Marcus' program to my iPhone and it's been helpful. It's also going to make me focus on some of the details that used to get glossed over.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Y ask y? Ask y not!

Mein Auto: F02
For all those still new to leasing it is very helpful to do your homework before you even go to the dealership to sign the lease. Here are two forms that i've created which are almost similar to the lease forms you'll see when you go to sign your lease. I recommend you get all the information on the form from your CA. If your CA cannot provide the information, request to speak with someone from finance. If you're able to get all these information and prices you can calculate your entire lease at home and when you go to sign your lease it should be the same as you calculated at home.

***WARNING*** DO NOT SIGN THE LEASE UNLESS YOU UNDERSTAND IT AND YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH IT. IF NOT THEN WALK AWAY AND REDO YOUR HOME WORK.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FormA.pdf (308.0 KB, 1051 views)
File Type: pdf FormB.pdf (340.2 KB, 881 views)
2009 750Li Mineral White - Sold
2009 750Li Titanium Silver
2011 xDrive35d Vermilion Red - Sold
2012 xDrive35d Vermilion Red
Old 12-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Lease tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ågent99 View Post
I dunno if California allows you to pay it all up front but you only pay sale's tax on the time you rent the car...not the full value. If your lease payment is $500 and the sale's tax is 10%, you pay $550/month for your lease/tax. When the lease expires or you transfer the lease, you are done paying the sale's tax.

Sale's tax is county-dependent in California. The South Bay Area (Santa Clara County) currently pays 8.25%.
It's "sales," not "sale's." It's like nails (notice it's "nails," not "nail's")...Jeez!