Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Major Help needed on my 2007 X5 4.8 Issues

Seriously, I am starting to get frustrated because I have been having so much minor issues with my X5. First of all, number 3 button malfunctioning on audio, my trunk not fully closing, rear mid console making nasty sound, my driverside window with scratch after they said they fixed it, rubbers coming off from doors and trunk, rearview camera malfunction time to time, electrical issues such as my CD not playing nor my Idrive getting stuck and rough whenever i try to change CD tracks, and sometimes screen saying I can't automatically start the car because my key is unavailable but it is right in my pocket. I have fixed almost all these problems but more and more problems keep coming after the fixation. Is there anything I can do to make sure that I don't get these problems???
Ads by Google
Old 02-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
yeap. it is official. it is a Friday build X5.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:10 AM
BMW Lover

Mein Auto: 2008 Bmw X5
Have you tried telling your dealer and getting a new one/resolving this problem? Im definite that if I were you, I would've gone into the dealer with a big fat b**chy face, asking for a resolution.

I just LOVE my X5.

My Garage- http://directory.bimmerfest.com/user...wUser&UId=4371
Old 02-26-2008, 04:39 PM

Is it just my X5 having all these troubles?or anyone else having problems like mine? What is the change of me getting a new X5? =P
Old 02-26-2008, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombrush View Post
Is it just my X5 having all these troubles?or anyone else having problems like mine? What is the change of me getting a new X5? =P
I have an '08 3.0 , and have not had the same issues that you have. I'm sorry that it seems to be one problem after another with your vehicle.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:00 PM

Is it really possible to get a new vehicle for having so much problems with mine?
Old 02-26-2008, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: 325ci
I've read about no-lemon laws before. Something about the dealer having to buy back your car or replace it if it's been back to the dealership for the SAME problem a specified number of times. It varies from state to state. I'd do a little more research about it.

In your case, where it's separate things going wrong. You most likely won't qualify.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i, 2009 E90 M3
Hi. I have a 2007 X5 4.8i like you and apart from a failed O2 sensor it's been running fantastically. I also had a 2006 X5 4.4i for 16 months without a single problem.

I'm really sorry to hear about your problems. I hope you can resolve them to your satisfaction.

As for your problems, I have encountered one that is similar to yours. From what you are describing you seem to have the comfort access and it tells you that you won't be able to start your car because the key is unavailable and it's right on you!!! It appears that the range for detecting the key is really short and if you get out of the car to go close the garage door after geting the car out the sensor will lose the key and display this message.

Once you get back to the car it redetects the key but leaves the message on leaving you to believe that there is a problem. I found that if I acknowledge the message with iDrive
(there is an Ack symbol in the upper left corner of the screen) the message disappears and all is well.

I have tried to stop the car and restart it and it worked without a problem.

I think it's a s/w problem with iDrive. I'll mention it to my SA next time I get the car serviced.

That's all. I hope it helps. Let us know how it works out for you.

Cheers.

Patrice
2009 E90 M3 Melbourne Red on Black Leather
2007 X5 4.8i Monaco Blue on Saddle Brown
Old 02-27-2008, 01:03 AM

Mein Auto: '08 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG
Quote:
Is it really possible to get a new vehicle for having so much problems with mine?
It is possible under your state's lemon law - but you'll have to do some research on what constitutes a car being declared a lemon and having the vehicle replaced.

Usually, you will have to have documented proof that the car has been in for service for the issues described and was therefore not available for use by you - and this has to occur within a relatively short period of time.

And the only way to really have documented proof is to bring it to the dealer and have them take the car in with documented issues on the service record of the automobile. Based on your original post, I can't tell if you've brought the car in for all the issues described or only some.

But the first step is to do some research, then proceed accordingly. Chances are, if your dealer is keen on customer service, they and BMW NA will work with you to resolve the matter to your satisfaction, and this can include, as an example, remedies such as reimbursing you for some of the lease payment if it's leased.

Good luck...we're hoping to take possession of my wife's 4.8i in early April, I hope your situation is an isolated incident of a Friday build.

'08 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG
Old 02-27-2008, 02:08 AM

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTech8 View Post
I've read about no-lemon laws before. Something about the dealer having to buy back your car or replace it if it's been back to the dealership for the SAME problem a specified number of times. It varies from state to state. I'd do a little more research about it.

In your case, where it's separate things going wrong. You most likely won't qualify.
BMWNA bought back my 07 335cic. It was called a "Trade Assist."
However, I still refer to the vehicle as my "lemon."
Old 02-27-2008, 07:57 AM

What were the problem Sailin with ur vehicle? How did they end up buying urs back?
Old 02-28-2008, 12:32 PM
BMW NA Customer Relations

Mein Auto: B M W
Quote:
Seriously, I am starting to get frustrated because I have been having so much minor issues with my X5. First of all, number 3 button malfunctioning on audio, my trunk not fully closing, rear mid console making nasty sound, my driverside window with scratch after they said they fixed it, rubbers coming off from doors and trunk, rearview camera malfunction time to time, electrical issues such as my CD not playing nor my Idrive getting stuck and rough whenever i try to change CD tracks, and sometimes screen saying I can't automatically start the car because my key is unavailable but it is right in my pocket. I have fixed almost all these problems but more and more problems keep coming after the fixation. Is there anything I can do to make sure that I don't get these problems???
Check your email for our offer of help. If you prefer, you can call us at 800-831-1117, and please mention Reference # 200805902920 so that we can help you more efficiently.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:47 PM

Thx vatkens. I have called them and they said give it a week to get a response. Hopefully my case will resolve =)
Old 03-05-2008, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: x5 4.8
other X5 4.8 problems

Hi,
I am sorry that you guys are having problems too. My 07 X5 4.8i has been having multiple problems also. My problems seem to be different from yours...
1. Parking Brake malfunction... three occurences...locks parking brake on...had to be towed in twice, and I manually released it once, and drove it to dealer. This time they told me it is a software issue. They want me to pick up car... They told me that until a software fix can be developed that I should not set the parking brake until I turn off the ignition !!! I have not picked up car yet.
2. Thumping noise under from under car when going over bumps and potholes--multiple visits and various repair attempts...none seem to work...
3. Clicking noise from dashboard vents when heater is on and car moving... two visits... unable to diagnose
4. Front driver seat creaks like crazy... multiple visits.. finally they replaced driver seat and corrected problem.
I guess that they are all different.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:51 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffx5 View Post
Hi,
I am sorry that you guys are having problems too. My 07 X5 4.8i has been having multiple problems also. My problems seem to be different from yours...
1. Parking Brake malfunction... three occurences...locks parking brake on...had to be towed in twice, and I manually released it once, and drove it to dealer. This time they told me it is a software issue. They want me to pick up car... They told me that until a software fix can be developed that I should not set the parking brake until I turn off the ignition !!! I have not picked up car yet.
2. Thumping noise under from under car when going over bumps and potholes--multiple visits and various repair attempts...none seem to work...
3. Clicking noise from dashboard vents when heater is on and car moving... two visits... unable to diagnose
4. Front driver seat creaks like crazy... multiple visits.. finally they replaced driver seat and corrected problem.

Problem # 1

SI B 34 01 08
CAUSE
When the parking brake is activated with the engine running, the vehicle's service brakes are applied via the Dynamic Stability Control System (DSC). After the ignition is switched off, the DSC signals the EMF to apply the parking brake shoes at the rear wheel brakes. During the ignition cycle, the signal between the DSC and the EMF can be interrupted. If the signal is interrupted, fault code 6032 MECH FORCE is stored in the EMF module, and the parking brake warning is illuminated.

CORRECTION
This situation will be corrected via a software update, available as of March 2008.
(parking brake should only be switched on and/or activated with the engine switched off until available)

Problem # 2

Suspension components may have become loose or damaged. An insufficiently tightened lower front control arm or thrust arm may also cause this condition. Be aware of describing the exact noise (knock/clunk/thump/etc..) ,if it can easily be reproduced roadtest the vehicle with a tech.

Problem # 3

It may be possible that the blower motor (located under the glovebox) is contacting the blower housing and channels the noise through the center vents.The blower motor contacting the housing is a known issue and replacing the blower motor would be the repair.

Functional Bookmark Button #3 Inoperative or Activates on its Own is a known issue and the repair requires modification of the carrier.Modifying means shaving off .7 mm. and IMO is sort of a PITA.This modification is done only if button #3 cannot be pushed in as far as the other buttons of the front panel,otherwise replacing the carrier button on the CCC would be the fix.

There are a lot of known issues that are easily repaired and Service Information are readily available in order to minimize lengthy diagnosis procedures.The more y'all are aware,the more you can educate dealerships that employ "factory trained technicians" if they appear to have lied about their claims.

Last edited by BMW_tech; 03-05-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:47 PM

thanks to bmw tech

Thanks Mr. BMW tech,
It is interesting how you know, or easily look up this stuff, and my local dealers struggle. If they cant resolve this, then maybe a road trip to northern cali. is in my future.
Thanks again,
Jeff
Old 03-08-2008, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0si
me too - got a "trade assist"

I also struggled with #s2 and 3 on my 07 3.0si. Had it in 4-5 times for issue #2 and finally gave them an ultimatum. They played nice and I will be in a new 08 4.8i in a week.

I thought that the underbody clunk was only a 3.0si issue. Heaven forbid, if I hear it again, I'll tell them to check the control arm, although all 4 times I took my current e70 in they said "everything's tight".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffx5 View Post
Hi,
Old 03-10-2008, 04:36 PM

to: atl lex77

The noise is definetely on my 4.8i. I think that they checked the control arm and everything was tight. I am curious how your new X5 will be. Did yours make a noise from day one ? Are you going to drive the new one before you sign the contract ? Just wondering, as I too may end up with a new car.
Thanks,
jeff
Old 03-12-2008, 08:00 PM

So my dealership rejected my offer of trade assist. Seriously, I faced more problems after my vehicle came out from service. Any Ideas what I should do next?
Old 03-22-2008, 10:46 PM

Mein Auto: Anything with Wheels!
Like many of you on this thread, I'm also having a number of problems with my X5.

Most of mine are related to iDrive failures, but recently I've been having high battery drain, to which the dealer says they can't find any fault, but I've made sure to take pictures and document every time it happens. I believe the key to winning trade assists with BMW NA is to have lots of documentation and pictures.

But what drives me absolutely crazy is the number of creaks and rattles this SAV has. I have a '07 4.8i and first the steering wheel area was making this rattle. Took them 5 visits and 5 months later they finally solved that.

Currently, my rear trunk lid is rattling and the driver seat. The driver seat is just the worst one yet, because every time you hit the brakes or accelerate, the whole seat squeaks and makes this binding noise. Got a call from the dealer today saying they couldn't duplicate the noise. All it took was 5 feet and hitting the brakes in the service driveway to duplicate. Geez...yea go figure.

I'm hoping to have my car bought back as mine has been in the shop 85 days out of the 290 I've owned it. That's about 1/3 of the time I've had it. I'm still waiting to hear from them, but if not, I'm about ready for them to just call it a loss and move on.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:18 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight View Post
Like many of you on this thread, I'm also having a number of problems with my X5.

Most of mine are related to iDrive failures, but recently I've been having high battery drain, to which the dealer says they can't find any fault, but I've made sure to take pictures and document every time it happens.
SI B 61 01 08 states : If the vehicle has been switched off for a lengthy period of time (longer than 70 minutes), the following Check Control message may appear the next time that the ignition or engine is switched on: "Vehicle battery! Increased battery discharge while stationary (when engine off)". The instrument cluster also displays the appropriate CC symbol (yellow car on lift).
CAUSE
Retrofitted electrical after-market equipment (hands-free system, navigation system, GPS system, entertainment systems, etc.) is connected to terminal 30 in error.

The IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) regularly monitors the battery's discharge current while the engine is off after 70 minutes (full sleep mode). If the off-load current exceeds 80mA after 70minutes from terminal R off, the CC message above will be displayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight View Post
Currently, my rear trunk lid is rattling and the driver seat. The driver seat is just the worst one yet, because every time you hit the brakes or accelerate, the whole seat squeaks and makes this binding noise.
If the rattle is heard from the upper trim on the tailgate, the cause is there is contact made between the upper tailgate trim and the tailgate itself.The repair would be insulating the back side of the tailgate trim by installing foam blocks.Another possibility is a poorly adjusted tailgate and striker but this would cause the "Trunk Open" check control message to be displayed while driving.Along with that and the rattle, high closing efforts may also be present if NOT adjusted properly.
As for the seat, outlined in SI B52 03 08 is the situation :
One or both of the front seats may feel as though they are moving slightly from side to side during cornering. At the same time, a faint clicking noise may be heard from the bottom frame area of the seat.The pivot pin bolt on the front seat may have excessive play, causing a slip-stick effect. Removing the pivot pin bolt (which secures the seat rail to the seat base.)and installing a new pivot pin bolt torqued to 30 +/-3 Nm. would be the repair procedure.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:10 AM

Top of all those problems, They had to replace my tail lights because water got in there for some reason TWICE. How bad my car has to be in order to get trade-assist?
Old 03-28-2008, 12:12 AM

Also anyone having an issue of turning IDrive when searching for songs on MP3 Disc. Mine feels kind of stiff and i have to force it to go to next page.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 3.0si
Egads. My parking brake just malfunctioned and I had to manually release it. My back-up camera also didn't work once today.

Past problems and resolutions:
- back-up camera got replaced
- driver seat active ventilation fan made a whirring noise - seat cushion was replaced
- active seat component was replaced

Re-occurring issues that still aren't fixed:
- iDrive controller gets stuck at times
- Can't select route list on the Navigation - car must be re-started to reboot the software. This isn't convenient when you're on the highway.
2007 X5 3.0si (3 week order to delivery) - Sapphire Black, Black Nevada, Premium, Sport, Cold Weather, Rear Climate, Active Ventilated, Technology, HUD, Comfort Access, Running Boards, Zaino, 3M Crystalline 40% Front/70% Everything Else
Old 03-31-2008, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 09 E92 335i/'09 VW Routan
I was thinking about getting the 3.0 X5 as my next car but you guys made my think twice. I've heard a lot of problems with these E70, 2 secs hesitation...
Is it because the car is a U.S. made?