Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 35
My '07 X3 Tanked Today

I was pulling away from a stop light in first gear when engine power abruptly cut out. Cars were close on my rear in the middle of a busy intersection and... zero power for 3-5 seconds. After this, with the accelerator still depressed, my car/engine-power started bucking. This lasted 2-3 seconds followed by a resumption of normal power. The same situation presented itself for the next 8/10 starts. Once under way, there was no problem. When the malfunction occurred, the 4x4 light on the dash flashed.

I brought the car to the dealer and am now in a loaner. I hope to know more on Monday.

Does anybody have any thoughts about this? Has anyone had this happen? Can't blame this problem on the auto box cause this X3 is a manual.
Ads by Google
Old 03-08-2008, 09:30 PM
HMFIC

Mein Auto: 2002 ///M3
I had the exact same thing happen to me about 3 weeks ago. Came up to an intersection and the 4x4 light lit up. Tried to pull through the intersection and had minimal power. Just enough to do maybe 5 mph. Pulled to the side of the road. Turned the car off and on several times. 4x4 light was still lit, but now I had full power. Drove about 2 more miles and pulled into a church lot. Turned it off and on several more times. Eventually the 4x4 light went out and it's been fine since.

I assume a sensor malfunctioned. If mine does it again it'll go in.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Shoot now even the MT isn't safe? Why isnt there a recall on this vehicle? Does someone really have to get hurt or die for them to own up that this thing is dangerous.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
N52K - DME Software Improvements

SI B 12 17 07

E83 (X3) with the N52K engine produced from 8/2006 up to 10/2007

The following situations may be encountered and would not set a fault code in the DME :

1) Poor throttle response or lack of power when accelerating at lower speeds.

2) The engine may crank too long before starting or may occasionally require a second attempt.

3) Loss of power at idle, or when slowing to a stop, in vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission.

Any faults stored should be investigated before proceeding to DME reprogramming due to software calibration error. (yes,don't shoot the messenger I will shoot back...blah we've heard this before blah)

DME should be programmed using the "Update Software" option, with Progman V27.01.01 or higher.The latest DME software may be identified as: Part number, programmed control module 7585570.And of course,if equipped with an auto trans it should be checked and updated as neccessary.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Shoot now even the MT isn't safe? Why isnt there a recall on this vehicle? Does someone really have to get hurt or die for them to own up that this thing is dangerous.
Mine was potentially deadly yesterday. If I were making a left hand turn in a busy intersection, I could have been T-boned by an oncoming vehicle.

This is such a bummer as, just 8 months ago, I had to get rid of my 2006 Audi A3 2.0T for the same type of failure. In that case, the power failed unpredictably at freeway speeds. (My Audi service department acknowledged that they had no reliable fix for the problem).

I am not liking this.

It makes me wonder whether some of you folks with auto transmission woes may actually be dealing with some kind of interaction between engine/software problems and transmission/software problems. If so, then perhaps I have just had my first experience with the engine side of the equation.

By the way, my Audi was a manual also.

What the heck is wrong with our technology these days?
Old 03-09-2008, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Could we be reaping the whirlwind of fly-by-wire technology? Back in the day, the only reason you lost power was something fell off something else and cut off air, fuel, or spark. Now it seems like the computer hiccups and you are sitting out in the middle of an intersection watching the approaching F-350's bumper. Doesn't seem to be getting better either. I wonder if all the cars have this problem or is it just the high end europeans?
Old 03-09-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Could we be reaping the whirlwind of fly-by-wire technology? Back in the day, the only reason you lost power was something fell off something else and cut off air, fuel, or spark. Now it seems like the computer hiccups and you are sitting out in the middle of an intersection watching the approaching F-350's bumper. Doesn't seem to be getting better either. I wonder if all the cars have this problem or is it just the high end europeans?
My neighbor has an '07 Toyota Rav4 which had an equally dangerous failure on the highway recently (with different particulars). His dealer's service department told him, "there is nothing wrong with the vehicle".

I had an Acura RDX with deeply troubling power difficulties. In that case, the problem was erratic auto transmission behavior coupled with deadly turbo-lag. The end result was power not being there when you needed it.

Now BMW. I don't know which, if any, brand of vehicle may be immune.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:48 AM

What I find equally puzzling is that this (now common) problem doesnt seem to surface upon immediate delivery of the vehicle but after a time period. Sometimes after a month sometimes several months down the road. Almost as if it takes time or some hidden catalyst to create the situation.

ZZnalg you may be onto something if this is now appearing in MT's.

Regardless, it is life threatening when it does happen.

I remember when Audi had a problem where the vehicle would accelerate on its own. I actually watched it happen when I was a teenager working at a gas station. It took a lot of media attention for Audi to finally admit there was a problem. They emphatically denied there was an issue---- as BMWNA is now doing.

I am going to take A/D's suggestion and call Germany(after I see how my attorney is progressing) since a lot of times these things are down played by a division in order to meet some hidden criteria or agenda.

As this now may be an engine issue and not just a transmission problem I again suggest reproting it to the NHTSA, BBB, and or Carzine sites as you may save someone's life by making BMWNA fix this permanently by peer pressure.

Btw UJ I agree that the drive by wire seems to be the common denominator. None of the vehicles I had with good old fashioned throttle wire ever failed to respond like this.

From my 79 rabbit to my Porshces. Seems "KISS" applies here.

Last edited by Evlengr; 03-09-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
KISS is good! I remember when the throttle linkage was a linked mechanical rod running from the gas pedal to the carb(s). There were also solid wires wrapped in coiled housings for the choke and manual throttle. A cable was a fancy new innovation that (at least in my '55 VW) broke at inopportune times, but the hand throttle would keep you going and get you home again. Now I don't wear a tinfoil hat, but I just wonder if these automotive ECUs could be subject to interference from RF emissions they are not properly shielded against. Could account for the randomness of some of the problems. Who knows?
Old 03-10-2008, 06:01 AM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0/987S/997
man, thanks for the info ...glad you are OK..
Old 03-10-2008, 06:28 AM
STEVIL Empire

Mein Auto: 2007 E92 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_tech View Post
SI B 12 17 07

E83 (X3) with the N52K engine produced from 8/2006 up to 10/2007
BMW_tech, what have you seen on builds after 10/2007?

BTW, was in my local BMW dealer Friday and asked the CA what he knew about the X3 hesitation problems....he told me he was unaware of any problems...typical car salesman who knows nothing about his product.

2014 E84 xDrive28i 8AT-Alpine White/Black Nevada/Silver Matte w/ZMV,ZLP,494 - DD 3/14/14

Last edited by STE92VE; 03-10-2008 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
If the DSC light flashed and there should not have been any wheel slippage, then it probably has to do with the steering angle or DSC sensor. Just a guess.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
If the DSC light flashed and there should not have been any wheel slippage, then it probably has to do with the steering angle or DSC sensor. Just a guess.
The DSC light did not flash. The 4x4 light flashed.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:44 AM

No Problem - Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
BMW_tech, what have you seen on builds after 10/2007?

BTW, was in my local BMW dealer Friday and asked the CA what he knew about the X3 hesitation problems....he told me he was unaware of any problems...typical car salesman who knows nothing about his product.
I am betting that he knows, but has been informed that "No Problem Found" instead of "Ultimate Driving Machine" is the company's new motto.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by zznalg View Post
The DSC light did not flash. The 4x4 light flashed.
There's a 4x4 light on the new X3s? The DSC lamp just happens to have a 4x4 label underneath it, and it's misleading. I'm talking about the triangle with a ! inside the tachometer.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
There's a 4x4 light on the new X3s? The DSC lamp just happens to have a 4x4 label underneath it, and it's misleading. I'm talking about the triangle with a ! inside the tachometer.
That sounds like the one. It also has an arrow arching over it to the left.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I am betting that he knows, but has been informed that "No Problem Found" instead of "Ultimate Driving Machine" is the company's new motto.
First word from the dealership today:
"No Problem Found"!
Old 03-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by zznalg View Post
That sounds like the one. It also has an arrow arching over it to the left.
That is the DSC. You have a problem related to that or the steering angle sensor. Andrew*Debbie talked about this in some other thread.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 03-10-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:03 PM

Well, I have my X3 back now. They found "no problem". It is running fine but they did nothing.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
The next time I'm shopping for a vehicle and I accidentally end up in the BMW dealership it will be "No Money Found".
Old 03-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

My god, what the F did they do with the 2007 facelift...............

If the design ain't broke, don't fix it. The biggest problem with the pre-facelift X3 was occasional creaking door seals and less-than-luxury interior materials (it was really a marketing mess-up IMO). After the facelift, the biggest problem has become stuff like "drivetrain not working".