Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-10-2008, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
euro plate & frame

I'm a newbie to the site but not to BMW. I just bought out the lease on my 06 X-3 so I'm anxious to personalize it to make it truley mine. The BIG question that I have is "how to attach a european plate to my front bumper"? There are no pre-drilled holes and I'm worried that I could permanently damage the bumper when I attempt an install. I was thinking about using zip ties on the frame then just strapping it to the bumper. Some individuals have suggested using double faced tape, but I'm afraid that the car wash would void that idea. If anyone can steer me in the right direction, I would be so grateful.
Ads by Google
Old 03-11-2008, 05:00 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
When we picked up our X3 in Munich, the plate was screwed into the US-spec bumper cover.

BMW has changed to double sided tape.

If you want to spend money, I think you can get trim parts with a correctly sized plate holder.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: 1953 Dodge Power Wagon
FWIW, I picked up some heavy duty 3M double sided tape to reattach our Zoll plate. (November 07 ED - no holes drilled).

No issues so far - holding nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0630-2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	138680  
Old 03-11-2008, 06:39 AM
resU deretsigeR

Screws

Photo of our Ausfuhrkennzeichen (Export Plate)

It is screwed into the US plate bracket. Those are the same screws they used to attach the plate in Munich.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010002.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	138683  
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:48 AM
resU deretsigeR

Euro plate mounting bracket.

I looked up the parts on realoem.com and the front license plate holder is the same part number for both Europe and US.

Maybe the euro cars don't use a bracket at all?? Need to look at some photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	225.png
Views:	95
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	138686  
Old 03-11-2008, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Thanks Andrew*Debbie & DSpeed.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 328xi, '09 550i
Personally I would use the tape if there is no euro plate holder. I am against putting holes in my bumper. We have the aero kit on our 2005, and I had the dealer hold off on the front bracket installation. Why pay to smooth out the lines to just break them up again and ruin the bumper cover? If we get pulled over for no plate, then we may consider putting it on, but I will not be putting holes in the bumper either way. May just have to fab up a custom bracket.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:25 AM
resU deretsigeR

Another idea is try try Industrial Strength Velcro. 3M Dual Lock has 5 times the strength of regular Velcro. I use it for all sorts of semi-permanent attachments.

You could pop the front plate off before going in the car wash. Be careful not to use too much. If you do, you will have a terrible time getting the plate off.

It is pricey though.

http://www.3mestore.com/70070415990.html