Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 03-05-2008, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330ci
Tom, I posted another question about the shuffle function.

Also how can I select the Shuffle function on the 16:9 Navigation screen? And in what mode (Song, Artist, Album) will the shuffle mode work?

And there's another problem I just discovered. The Navigation works, but there are no spoken instructions. The music stops for a second when instructions should be given, so that's correct. But no spoken words, very strange. I set the volume to Maximum. What could be wrong?

Last edited by frankpaul1; 03-05-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:35 PM
european auto source

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpaul1 View Post
Tom, I posted another question about the shuffle function.

Also how can I select the Shuffle function on the 16:9 Navigation screen? And in what mode (Song, Artist, Album) will the shuffle mode work?

And there's another problem I just discovered. The Navigation works, but there are no spoken instructions. The music stops for a second when instructions should be given, so that's correct. But no spoken words, very strange. I set the volume to Maximum. What could be wrong?
Pressing the SEL button allows the RND (random) feature to be selected.

Can you PM me your full name to see what kit you received?

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Old 03-05-2008, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330ci
PM sent
Old 03-05-2008, 03:56 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpaul1 View Post
PM sent
You have PM.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 330i ZHP
Hi Tom, is Radio Interface installation a difficult task? Although Trunk Interface looks easier but I don't want 15ft of cable running around the car.

Can you send or explain what level of skills and tools will be required to fit the Radio Interface? If I use the Trunk interface, will I be able to navigate through the Ipod music using my nav screen or will have to use ipod itself? Thanks!
Old 03-05-2008, 04:18 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsnoceans View Post
Hi Tom, is Radio Interface installation a difficult task? Although Trunk Interface looks easier but I don't want 15ft of cable running around the car.

Can you send or explain what level of skills and tools will be required to fit the Radio Interface? If I use the Trunk interface, will I be able to navigate through the Ipod music using my nav screen or will have to use ipod itself? Thanks!
The Trunk interface version of the DICE kit allows you to make the necessary connections at the CD Changer cables in the trunk area, and allows 15 feet of cable length to allow placement of your iPod anywhere in the vehicle you like.

The Radio interface version of the DICE kit is a favorite among professional installers. This kit allows a direct connection directly at the radio, eliminating a long cable from the CD changer connectors in the trunk. This also provide a shorter cable route, reducing the possibility of engine noise. The Radio interface kit is also choice for euro models that do not have CD Changer prewiring.

The features are the same for both kits. Email me directly and I can provide install instructions for the kit.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
Iphone use through Dice Aux input?

Can the iphone be hooked up to the Dice Silverline Ipod kit using an optional AUX cord connected to the headphone jack on the iphone? I have heard the iphone can be heard over the car stereo using an AUX connector for phone conversations and the mic on the iphone will pick up your voice if it is in or near the cup holder on an X3. If this works, I'm hoping it could be a way to have hands free capability since my X3 does not have bluetooth.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The Trunk interface version of the DICE kit allows you to make the necessary connections at the CD Changer cables in the trunk area, and allows 15 feet of cable length to allow placement of your iPod anywhere in the vehicle you like.

The Radio interface version of the DICE kit is a favorite among professional installers. This kit allows a direct connection directly at the radio, eliminating a long cable from the CD changer connectors in the trunk. This also provide a shorter cable route, reducing the possibility of engine noise. The Radio interface kit is also choice for euro models that do not have CD Changer prewiring.

The features are the same for both kits. Email me directly and I can provide install instructions for the kit.
I don't have a multi-cd changer. I just have the nav system in the trunk.

Does that mean I cannot use trunk interface Dice?
Old 03-07-2008, 10:47 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbirt View Post
Can the iphone be hooked up to the Dice Silverline Ipod kit using an optional AUX cord connected to the headphone jack on the iphone? I have heard the iphone can be heard over the car stereo using an AUX connector for phone conversations and the mic on the iphone will pick up your voice if it is in or near the cup holder on an X3. If this works, I'm hoping it could be a way to have hands free capability since my X3 does not have bluetooth.
The DICE will interact with the iPhone using the bottom dock connector, not the headphone jack. This allows full control and text readout on your radio display.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:48 AM
european auto source

Quote:
I don't have a multi-cd changer. I just have the nav system in the trunk.

Does that mean I cannot use trunk interface Dice?
We can put a DICE in your e46. Are you prewired for a cd changer even though its not present?

Old 03-07-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
We can put a DICE in your e46. Are you prewired for a cd changer even though its not present?
I do not know. How do I check it?
Old 03-07-2008, 01:05 PM
european auto source

Quote:
I do not know. How do I check it?
Here's the pieces you need for a non-prewired setup:

DICE - SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kit for X3 04-08 (Radio Interface)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=1629

DICE Extension Cable (12 feet)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=882

This kit will be applicable to your specific setup. This will connect to the radio in the boot and allow enough cable to place the iPod anywhere you wish in the vehicle.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Tom, I checked the car. It is prewired for CD Changer.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:15 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Tom, I checked the car. It is prewired for CD Changer.
If you're prewired, here's what you need:

DICE - SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kit for 3 Series/M3 99-06 (Trunk Interface)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=1621

Old 03-14-2008, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330i w/ SportPackage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar7
3) It appears the manual is incorrect as it pertains to the iPod config switches. It says "It is recommended that you leave these switches in the default (OFF/ON) position." However, the default position (as my model was shipped) is OFF/OFF. If I want the Locked/DICE mode, should I leave the default OR should the switches be Off/ON? Earlier in this thread scottgbp posed the same question. Tom's response was "the manual is correct". I can't see how the manual can be correct since the unit is shipped off/off and that configuration is not mentioned as a supported configuration.

The older instructions do have an error in them, this has been corrected. The kits remain unchanged in the process.
Tom, I'm still a bit confused with your reply. Exactly what is the error? And what is the correct dip switch configuration to use in the "Locked Mode"?

Is it Scheme A or Scheme B as follows?

Scheme A
Car Config. Switches
1) off
2) off
Ipod Config. Switches
1) off
2) off

Scheme B
Car Config. Switches
1) off
2) off
Ipod Config. Switches
1) off
2) on

Thanks
Old 03-14-2008, 02:49 PM

By the way, I finally got my DICE unit to play pure music, free of any noise or clicking!!!!!! It took about 4 tries, beginning with the original DICE unit, 2 replacement DIce units, and ultimately with a Silverline unit. But I don't think it was the Silverline that fixed my noise problems. In fact I still had the clicking noises when I first installed the Silverline through the trunk interface (like all my other previous installatations.)

The real solution was when I decided to install the unit at the radio head unit, instead of the trunk interface. To do this, I had to shell out another $50 bucks on EAS's Radio Connect Harness (R17). But it was totally worth it, since all my noise issues have been solved.

For anyone else having chronic noise issues with you DICE unit (whether original or Silverline), I highly recommend trying the radio interface installation. After about a year trying to figure out why?? why?? why?? it sounded the way it did.. i finally got it to sound like I always knew it could... VERY satisfied.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:51 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by patdosa View Post
Tom, I'm still a bit confused with your reply. Exactly what is the error? And what is the correct dip switch configuration to use in the "Locked Mode"?

Is it Scheme A or Scheme B as follows?

Scheme A
Car Config. Switches
1) off
2) off
Ipod Config. Switches
1) off
2) off

Scheme B
Car Config. Switches
1) off
2) off
Ipod Config. Switches
1) off
2) on

Thanks
You should be using Configuration A.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:53 PM
european auto source

Quote:
By the way, I finally got my DICE unit to play pure music, free of any noise or clicking!!!!!! It took about 4 tries, beginning with the original DICE unit, 2 replacement DIce units, and ultimately with a Silverline unit. But I don't think it was the Silverline that fixed my noise problems. In fact I still had the clicking noises when I first installed the Silverline through the trunk interface (like all my other previous installatations.)

The real solution was when I decided to install the unit at the radio head unit, instead of the trunk interface. To do this, I had to shell out another $50 bucks on EAS's Radio Connect Harness (R17). But it was totally worth it, since all my noise issues have been solved.

For anyone else having chronic noise issues with you DICE unit (whether original or Silverline), I highly recommend trying the radio interface installation. After about a year trying to figure out why?? why?? why?? it sounded the way it did.. i finally got it to sound like I always knew it could... VERY satisfied.
Some BMWs are more sensitive to engine noise than others, glad we could help.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:49 PM

Tom, but it was not engine noise, as you suggest, that caused all the noise problems when using the trunk harness. The clicking noise I experienced was not affected by the engine being turned on or off , and was not affected by engine rpm (e.g. engine whine some people complain about). Rather, the noise was present at all times, whether engine was on or off, and whether the key was at turn 0, 1, or 2 on the ignition. However, the noise was more prevalent when the ignition was turned to 1 or 2 since this activated the steering wheel controls, which I believe added to the noise (explained below).

I think instead the clicking noise was due to electromagnetic interference ("cross-talk") in the bundled set of cables routed between the radio head unit and the trunk-mounted amplifier. Here are my reasons why:

First, it must be clarified that while the trunk harness is located in the trunk and connected to connectors near the trunk-mounted amplifier, the connection actually leads to the radio heat unit, and not the amplifier directly. In other words, the Silverline connection is routed from the trunk (where DICE is located), to the radio head unit (at dashboard), back to the trunk (where amplifier is located).

Secondly, for those of you who have tried doing the trunk interface installation, you have seen a bundle of cables connected to the amplifier in the trunk. This bundle includes cables connecting to the radio head unit as well as to all the speakers in your car. (NOTE: the cable bundle is routed from the trunk to the radio head unit by way of the center console where the shifter is located - I discover this when I opened up the dashboard and shifter console to do the Silverline installation via the radio head unit).

So by installing the DICE unit using the trunk interface harness, you are adding to and becoming a part of the cable bundle. As such, I think the control signals going to the IPOD, the text signals coming from the IPOD, and the steering wheel control signals going to the amplifier, all contributed to generating cross-talk on the speaker wires connecting the amplifier to the speaker.

Long story short (too late hheheh!!), by making the Silverline installation at the radio head unit, the cross-talk is either elimitated or substantially reduced.

Hope this theory/explanation helps some of you avoid the aggravation I went through. Good luck!!
Old 03-14-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Tom, but it was not engine noise, as you suggest, that caused all the noise problems when using the trunk harness. The clicking noise I experienced was not affected by the engine being turned on or off , and was not affected by engine rpm (e.g. engine whine some people complain about). Rather, the noise was present at all times, whether engine was on or off, and whether the key was at turn 0, 1, or 2 on the ignition. However, the noise was more prevalent when the ignition was turned to 1 or 2 since this activated the steering wheel controls, which I believe added to the noise (explained below).

I think instead the clicking noise was due to electromagnetic interference ("cross-talk") in the bundled set of cables routed between the radio head unit and the trunk-mounted amplifier. Here are my reasons why:

First, it must be clarified that while the trunk harness is located in the trunk and connected to connectors near the trunk-mounted amplifier, the connection actually leads to the radio heat unit, and not the amplifier directly. In other words, the Silverline connection is routed from the trunk (where DICE is located), to the radio head unit (at dashboard), back to the trunk (where amplifier is located).

Secondly, for those of you who have tried doing the trunk interface installation, you have seen a bundle of cables connected to the amplifier in the trunk. This bundle includes cables connecting to the radio head unit as well as to all the speakers in your car. (NOTE: the cable bundle is routed from the trunk to the radio head unit by way of the center console where the shifter is located - I discover this when I opened up the dashboard and shifter console to do the Silverline installation via the radio head unit).

So by installing the DICE unit using the trunk interface harness, you are adding to and becoming a part of the cable bundle. As such, I think the control signals going to the IPOD, the text signals coming from the IPOD, and the steering wheel control signals going to the amplifier, all contributed to generating cross-talk on the speaker wires connecting the amplifier to the speaker.

Long story short (too late hheheh!!), by making the Silverline installation at the radio head unit, the cross-talk is either elimitated or substantially reduced.

Hope this theory/explanation helps some of you avoid the aggravation I went through. Good luck!!
Good reasoning mate. How tough was it to do the radio interface installation yourself? I am interested in the cleanest-possible look but unconfindent abt my DIY skills.

Modified Clutch Stop
Valentine-1 hardwired (DIY)
Zeckhausen CDV
BMWCCA Member #401517
Old 03-17-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Good reasoning mate. How tough was it to do the radio interface installation yourself? I am interested in the cleanest-possible look but unconfindent abt my DIY skills.
While the trunk-interface DIY is definitely doable, I wouldn't recommend the radio-interface as a DIY if this is your first time, because it involves removing trim pieces that can scratch easily and the center vent can be frustrating to take off. Plus there isn't much room to position the R17 radio harness behind the radio head unit given the relatively short length and large connector head size of the harness. As as result, I had to be creative about pulling out and rerouting the existing cables in the dash, in order to reach the R17 harness which I routed to some available space I found on the right side inside the dash.

If you have a friend who is good at DIY projects for cars (and who welcome the challenge) I would definitely recommend the radio interface install with the EAS product. Definitely worth it IMO. Good luck.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Hey Tom, i found another bug with the iPod classic... I tried iPod Mode. and everytime the car turns on specially when I get back in the X3, is that the iPod shows like its on Shuffle and Repeat One, even though in the settings both appear as Off.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 325i
Hello, are there any places in SoCal where I can purchase DICE and/or have it installed? I went to Al and Ed's Autosound, but they only sell this adapter USA Spec PA11GM. I would really like the DICE because of the radio display and other great features, but I don't want to install it myself. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:02 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by therock View Post
Hello, are there any places in SoCal where I can purchase DICE and/or have it installed? I went to Al and Ed's Autosound, but they only sell this adapter USA Spec PA11GM. I would really like the DICE because of the radio display and other great features, but I don't want to install it myself. Thanks.
We perform installations at our facility, feel free to contact me directly.

DICE kits are always in stock.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:03 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerock View Post
Hey Tom, i found another bug with the iPod classic... I tried iPod Mode. and everytime the car turns on specially when I get back in the X3, is that the iPod shows like its on Shuffle and Repeat One, even though in the settings both appear as Off.
We have a Z4 reporting this - he is bringing in the car this week so we can have a look at it.