Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > Bimmerfest 2008: Santa Barbara, CA

Bimmerfest 2008: Santa Barbara, CA
May 3rd has come and gone. Read stories, check out the pics and more from the largest BMW gathering in the land...

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 12:22 AM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: Dirty-Thirty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post

It's only $20 per car, not per head. It's $20... I don't get it...

I don't see $20 as problem either. I bummed a ride with tgee and teh_jev last year and we split the $20 fee($10 each). No big deal.

The Los Angeles Auto show charges $10 for decent parking, $10 to get in, and don't even get me started with the food prices..

At least with B-Fest, it still is technically free. You can always walk into the fair grounds.

With all due respect, I'd sure like to see these people that complain about a $20 fee, put an event like this together...
Old 03-15-2008, 12:44 AM
e39 m5 touring aspirant

Send a message via AIM to jvcajita Send a message via MSN to jvcajita Send a message via Yahoo to jvcajita
Mein Auto: LSB WB 540 Touring VF S/C
let the whiners whine and stay home...it's actually good it turns this way so the event is weeded out of the non-true enthusiasts which would let $20 get in the way...
Old 03-15-2008, 02:30 AM
Retired Slacker

Mein Auto: A car.
Where is Lucky579??? We paid $5.00 last year cuz we slept late after the 350 mile drive. But we bought LOTS of raffle tickets to further the cause. We had a fantastic time.
In 2005 we made the event at SB BMW. They even sprang for dogs n cokes which was very generous of them and the vendors.
Jon and Co. do an awesome job of organizing this event and it's really quite unique.
If you want to see the standard custom car show, go ahead and pay the big bucks to be bored. I'll pass on the souped up Nissans and custom Hondas.
We cant make the trip this year but my wife and I are looking forward to 2009.
Keep up the great work, Jon!!
Old 03-15-2008, 07:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
This is a pretty funny thread. I'm as big a fan of "free" as the next guy ...but come on, $20, what's the problem???

Hey Jon, I appreciate all your efforts over the years, and look forward to seeing you again this year! Just a couple more months
Old 03-15-2008, 07:56 AM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
Just a couple of months ago all of the E21 Legion were high-five-ing each other because their cars were featured on a national television commercial.
Probably not this one.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 00 z3 coupe
I don't see $20 bucks as a big deal, if you can't afford it then please, DON'T GO.....20 bucks is cheap compared to other car shows and if you don't want to pay for the food or wait in line, bring food like we did last year, it saves money. I can't freakin wait, a month and a half to go! WOO HOO!
Old 03-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Proud S ponsor

Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
Jon,

Spare yourself the brain damage and don't respond to those who just don't get it. It's pretty clear that they will bitch no matter what, and aren't too interested in the time, effort and money that you and others will spend to put an event like this together. I'm guessing that the majority of the complaints are coming from the youngsters for whom $20 really is a big deal. The rest just have an engorged sense of entitlement. IMO bimmerfest is better served by excluding them, and if that can be done for just 20 bucks, then it's a dirt cheap solution.

I'm sure this event will be the biggest and best ever, and I'm excited to be going to my first one, finally.

pk
Old 03-16-2008, 03:01 PM
A Really Crazy Car Girl

Send a message via AIM to 94is
Mein Auto: 94' S50B32 325is
Whatever, I'm absolutely stoked about Bimmerfest this year.
1994 325is #94 IP

Old 03-16-2008, 03:43 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvThatSam View Post
I don't see $20 as problem either. I bummed a ride with tgee and teh_jev last year and we split the $20 fee($10 each). No big deal.

The Los Angeles Auto show charges $10 for decent parking, $10 to get in, and don't even get me started with the food prices..

At least with B-Fest, it still is technically free. You can always walk into the fair grounds.

With all due respect, I'd sure like to see these people that complain about a $20 fee, put an event like this together...
If you split the cost, who got the extra $10?

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: A highly Modded E21
Jon, i dont think $20.00 is not a big issue, i personally dont care as i will always go no matter what and i know alot of other people will as well. Its cool to see you and all your friends that time of year, even if its only that one time a year, its at a place you/we all like.

I was speaking from both sides, i can understand why people would be a bit perturbed about the fee, but at teh same time, it really isnt a big deal.

Its that ONE time of the year where you can get to do this, and as long as bimmerfest goes on, I and many others will attend regardless of cost/weather/ etc etc.

Keep it up Jon and see you soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philippek View Post
Jon,

Spare yourself the brain damage and don't respond to those who just don't get it. It's pretty clear that they will bitch no matter what, and aren't too interested in the time, effort and money that you and others will spend to put an event like this together. I'm guessing that the majority of the complaints are coming from the youngsters for whom $20 really is a big deal. The rest just have an engorged sense of entitlement. IMO bimmerfest is better served by excluding them, and if that can be done for just 20 bucks, then it's a dirt cheap solution.
I'm sure this event will be the biggest and best ever, and I'm excited to be going to my first one, finally.

pk
I'm sorry, but thats an asshole thing to say. So basicly i got from that statement is that if an enthusiast cant spare the extra money of the entrance fee, their SOL? Yeah good attitude there buddy. You forget that not everyone owns/drives E46 M3's or E92's etc etc.

Anyways, keep it up Jon, your always doing a great job on the event. See you there!!!

E21 LEGION
Bimmerfest: 01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10 Veteran

Last edited by BoostedE21; 03-17-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:53 AM
only one screen name

Send a message via AIM to obmd1
Mein Auto: '14 X5 35D
Ah yes, it must be that time of year again. When BMW owners of certain worth b!tch about being 20 bucks lighter for a day of Bimmerfesting. You guys crack me up. Seriously. Are you seriously asking to have bimmer-welfare? Do you all, in the free market love fest that makes your very existance possible actually WANT to be supported in this way? The irony is thick.

Where do you think all that you will partake in that day come from? Geez. Skip the roundel painted valve stem covers and get your as$es to Bimmerfest. If I lived within a two day drive, I'D be there.....

cheap entitled little bastards
Old 03-17-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obmd1 View Post
Ah yes, it must be that time of year again. When BMW owners of certain worth b!tch about being 20 bucks lighter for a day of Bimmerfesting. You guys crack me up. Seriously. Are you seriously asking to have bimmer-welfare? Do you all, in the free market love fest that makes your very existance possible actually WANT to be supported in this way? The irony is thick.

Where do you think all that you will partake in that day come from? Geez. Skip the roundel painted valve stem covers and get your as$es to Bimmerfest. If I lived within a two day drive, I'D be there.....

cheap entitled little bastards
In stead of calling people names, why not give constructive feedback? Have none, then don’t say anything.

E21 LEGION
Old 03-17-2008, 12:29 PM
only one screen name

Send a message via AIM to obmd1
Mein Auto: '14 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedE21 View Post
In stead of calling people names, why not give constructive feedback? Have none, then don’t say anything.
See the rest of the thread for constructivity. I don't get people who expect things to be free. Especially a group of people who over on PS indict people who expect things to be free. 20 bucks covers costs, including the time of the organizers. Don't like it? Stay home.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obmd1 View Post
See the rest of the thread for constructivity. I don't get people who expect things to be free. Especially a group of people who over on PS indict people who expect things to be free. 20 bucks covers costs, including the time of the organizers. Don't like it? Stay home.
I agree, but i was telling YOU that if YOU dont have anything constructive, dont come here and call people names.

Anyways, i think some people just dont know what exactly they are paying for. There were years where it was free because vendors paid for spots and that went towards the cost to rent things out etc etc etc. So i think people are still under the impression that vendors are paying for the spots and people are just questioning why they are paying (because for the first 3-4 years it has been free enterance). And no, there doesnt need to be a break down of where the money goes. B-fest has gotten very big, and it take alot more time and effort to put this together.

Again, i dont care about the cost, i always go.

E21 LEGION
Old 03-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Chocolate Salty Balls

Mein Auto: Slammin Taco
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedE21 View Post
I agree, but i was telling YOU that if YOU dont have anything constructive, dont come here and call people names.

Anyways, i think some people just dont know what exactly they are paying for. There were years where it was free because vendors paid for spots and that went towards the cost to rent things out etc etc etc. So i think people are still under the impression that vendors are paying for the spots and people are just questioning why they are paying (because for the first 3-4 years it has been free enterance). And no, there doesnt need to be a break down of where the money goes. B-fest has gotten very big, and it take alot more time and effort to put this together.

Again, i dont care about the cost, i always go.
Hell, even BMWNA refers to b'fest as a "religion" in it's TV ad
Old 03-17-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bryce View Post
Hell, even BMWNA refers to b'fest as a "religion" in it's TV ad
nice, yeah it has become something unbeleivable and all thanx to (but not limited to) Jon.

E21 LEGION
Old 03-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Admin • Owner • Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
I think it's a good time to close this thread. $20 is a lot of money. The point to reckon with (OPs) is that this is not an increase from last year. Again, the fee has not increased for 2 years now, and I do look forward to seeing my E21 buddies like Atilla and CJ et al.

Serving the BMW Online Community Since 1995 • The BIMMERFEST "Internet Special"
Closed Thread