Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-27-2008, 08:37 AM
ybbiz34 ybbiz34 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 376
Mein Auto: '13 C63 AMG Sedan
Thumbs up First Dinan 1/4 mile time.

Here is a post from a member on E90post with the Dinan flash. This was his first time going to the track. Pretty damn good times on runflats and a n00b at the strip. I was very impressed by his times.

The same night that he ran his car (last night), a PROcede V2 ran a 13.3.

"Sorry for getting home so late fellaz but Wed. night drags at infineon is pretty packed. Got to the track with 1/4 tank of 100 octane. I have an 08 step with about 1300 miles and a drop-in bmc filter as the only mod. Also, I am running on the stock michelin rfts. Here is the first run of the day. All I did was turn off dsc/dtc and floor it in DS mode, no paddles. The track was prepped pretty good, but the usual headwind and incline at the end of the track gave me these preliminary numbers.

60'------2.066
330'-----5.584
1/8------8.477
MPH-----85.11
1000-----10.964
1/4-------13.065
MPH------107.25

That was at 59 degrees. So an hour later at about 57 degrees. I decided to use paddles and DTC only and try to launch at about 1500rpms. Here are the results with a little chirp. I shifted at 6500 all the way through except the end.

60'------2.039
330'-----5.530
1/8------8.402
MPH-----85.73
1000-----10.878
1/4-------12.978
MPH------107.61

Got a couple other runs in but at low 50 degrees, it was wheel spin city. I even tried to launch at 2000 rpms and got a 2.4. These runflats dont like the cold. I could definitely feel that the party was over after 6200 rpms. So I think that shifting with paddles and limiting the launch if your on runflats will probably get some better times. At Sac, this would be like a 12.80 at 109, but they dont prep the track as nice as Sears Point. Anyways, Im tired. It was really fun, and so many people were giving the 335i there props. They were stupified by the times. Lets see some more Dinan times cuz I suck pretty bad. Laterz. BTW, Honestly, I dont think the 100 octane made a big difference."

Last edited by ybbiz34; 03-27-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 03-27-2008, 08:51 AM
PhilipWOT's Avatar
PhilipWOT PhilipWOT is offline
Turn Burglar
Location: Atl: Come for the pollution, stay for the traffic
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 12,324
Mein Auto: Red Assless Chaps
Those numbers are pretty impressive for a 1st timer. 2 second 60' times with STEP and RFT's is awesome.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Michael Schott Michael Schott is online now
Moderator
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,166
Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Very impressive but what do RFT's have to do with affecting drag times? This has to do with traction and the run flat technology has nothing to do with traction which is a function of the softness of the rubber. Thus a summer RFT or non RFT will hook up better than an all weather version.

Thanks, Mike.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-27-2008, 09:15 AM
JeffL's Avatar
JeffL JeffL is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 195
Mein Auto: E60 M5
^^ side walls of RFT are like cement. A non-RFT will flex in the side wall and provide more grip/less spin. RFT are awful for drag racing.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-27-2008, 09:18 AM
Terry @ BMS's Avatar
Terry @ BMS Terry @ BMS is offline
'Fest Sponsor
Location: terry@burgertuning.com
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,693
Mein Auto: I hate PM. Email me!
Great times for a first-timer! Runflats actually do OK at the track as long as they are on an auto. But with an M6, forget about it.
__________________
BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-27-2008, 11:09 AM
bostonguitar's Avatar
bostonguitar bostonguitar is offline
I want a new drug
Location: South Shore - MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 115
Send a message via AIM to bostonguitar Send a message via Yahoo to bostonguitar Send a message via Skype™ to bostonguitar
Mein Auto: 08' 335xi coupe
i need to move to cali
__________________

08' 335xi cp/6 spd mt/dinan flash/blk saph met/blk dak leath/grey pop/prem/sport/nav/cold wea/comf access/bluetooth/ipod-usb/sick!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-27-2008, 11:39 AM
Mojave335xi Mojave335xi is offline
Registered User
Location: Lexington, KY
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 41
Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguitar View Post
i need to move to cali
Me too
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Boile Boile is offline
.
Location: .
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 18,053
Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Here is a post from a member on E90post with the Dinan flash. This was his first time going to the track. Pretty damn good times on runflats and a n00b at the strip. I was very impressed by his times.

The same night that he ran his car (last night), a PROcede V2 ran a 13.3.

"Sorry for getting home so late fellaz but Wed. night drags at infineon is pretty packed. Got to the track with 1/4 tank of 100 octane. I have an 08 step with about 1300 miles and a drop-in bmc filter as the only mod. Also, I am running on the stock michelin rfts. Here is the first run of the day. All I did was turn off dsc/dtc and floor it in DS mode, no paddles. The track was prepped pretty good, but the usual headwind and incline at the end of the track gave me these preliminary numbers.

60'------2.066
330'-----5.584
1/8------8.477
MPH-----85.11
1000-----10.964
1/4-------13.065
MPH------107.25

That was at 59 degrees. So an hour later at about 57 degrees. I decided to use paddles and DTC only and try to launch at about 1500rpms. Here are the results with a little chirp. I shifted at 6500 all the way through except the end.

60'------2.039
330'-----5.530
1/8------8.402
MPH-----85.73
1000-----10.878
1/4-------12.978
MPH------107.61

Got a couple other runs in but at low 50 degrees, it was wheel spin city. I even tried to launch at 2000 rpms and got a 2.4. These runflats dont like the cold. I could definitely feel that the party was over after 6200 rpms. So I think that shifting with paddles and limiting the launch if your on runflats will probably get some better times. At Sac, this would be like a 12.80 at 109, but they dont prep the track as nice as Sears Point. Anyways, Im tired. It was really fun, and so many people were giving the 335i there props. They were stupified by the times. Lets see some more Dinan times cuz I suck pretty bad. Laterz. BTW, Honestly, I dont think the 100 octane made a big difference."
Maybe I'm missing something, but where does he say that he has Dinan mod in his car?
__________________
Stop the madness: U.S. National Debt Clock
()
This post is brilliant. Completely spot on and chock full of useful information. Pure genius and original.
- Frank Rizzo
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-27-2008, 11:56 AM
JeffL's Avatar
JeffL JeffL is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 195
Mein Auto: E60 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguitar View Post
i need to move to cali
+2 although NED should be opening soon.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-27-2008, 11:57 AM
PhilipWOT's Avatar
PhilipWOT PhilipWOT is offline
Turn Burglar
Location: Atl: Come for the pollution, stay for the traffic
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 12,324
Mein Auto: Red Assless Chaps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boile View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but where does he say that he has Dinan mod in his car?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Boile Boile is offline
.
Location: .
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 18,053
Mein Auto: .
It's amazing how Dinan fan-boys have an orgasm at the mention of the word Dinan.
Read and think.
__________________
Stop the madness: U.S. National Debt Clock
()
This post is brilliant. Completely spot on and chock full of useful information. Pure genius and original.
- Frank Rizzo
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-27-2008, 12:10 PM
superstock superstock is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: at my home
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 236
Mein Auto: a car
Those are very very good numbers, Dinan or not. Those are equivalent to what my friends are getting with 400+ HP GTOs. When I went to ATCO in New Jersey the best I could get out of my manual 335 was a 14.0. I am not a drag racer in the least but I agree with the RFT comment and the auto. A 335 sedan with wider rear summer tires and an auto (no other mods) was in the mid 13's with no problem.

Of course just jamming on the accelerator is a lot easier than actually shifting. Which is why most drag racers go for automatics of course.

FYI:While 12.9 seems fast, a C5 automatic Corvetter with just a catback can run 12.8 all day. BMW is still not a drag car and never will be.(Hopefully)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Michael Schott Michael Schott is online now
Moderator
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,166
Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffL View Post
^^ side walls of RFT are like cement. A non-RFT will flex in the side wall and provide more grip/less spin. RFT are awful for drag racing.
Thanks for the explanation although I suspect the effect is minimal. A 3 series is not a drag car to begin with.

Thanks, Mike.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-27-2008, 02:42 PM
PhilipWOT's Avatar
PhilipWOT PhilipWOT is offline
Turn Burglar
Location: Atl: Come for the pollution, stay for the traffic
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 12,324
Mein Auto: Red Assless Chaps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Thanks for the explanation although I suspect the effect is minimal. A 3 series is not a drag car to begin with.

Thanks, Mike.
The difference between RFT's and high performance summer tires at the drag strip could be .5 second.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-27-2008, 03:13 PM
ybbiz34 ybbiz34 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 376
Mein Auto: '13 C63 AMG Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Thanks for the explanation although I suspect the effect is minimal. A 3 series is not a drag car to begin with.

Thanks, Mike.
Pertaining to the tire issue, you suspect incorrectly.

A 3 series is not designed to be a drag car, but I am sure there have been less qualified candidates appear at the strip before.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-27-2008, 03:14 PM
bostonguitar's Avatar
bostonguitar bostonguitar is offline
I want a new drug
Location: South Shore - MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 115
Send a message via AIM to bostonguitar Send a message via Yahoo to bostonguitar Send a message via Skype™ to bostonguitar
Mein Auto: 08' 335xi coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffL View Post
+2 although NED should be opening soon.
lol who or what is ned?

also anyone know of a good place to use the dyno in the boston area?
__________________

08' 335xi cp/6 spd mt/dinan flash/blk saph met/blk dak leath/grey pop/prem/sport/nav/cold wea/comf access/bluetooth/ipod-usb/sick!!!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-29-2008, 06:28 AM
turbotime08 turbotime08 is offline
08 black on brown
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: 08 335i step
no to bad for having dinan

my frist time to the track in my 335i with a K&N drop in and only 93 octane i averaged 13.4 on 3 runs before getting kicked out for no helmet, so hopefully after i nstall jb2 ill be around 12.8
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-29-2008, 08:03 AM
JeffL's Avatar
JeffL JeffL is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 195
Mein Auto: E60 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguitar View Post
lol who or what is ned?

also anyone know of a good place to use the dyno in the boston area?
come on man New England Dragway. As for a good dyno shop no clue? You could try Auto Engineering in Lexington checked out the shop the other day. Not all bad waiting for them to get the new Dinan cables to flash 08 ECU's.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms