Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 04-01-2008, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 bmw m3 convertible
M3 e46 or 335i

which is faster and which would u guys rather have?
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
M3

LSD, strut tower brace, awesome seats, and the S54 engine.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW M3
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shok's ///M3 View Post
which is faster and which would u guys rather have?
uhh no question M3...i had 3 ppl in the car he got the jump and i stayed with him the whole time inched on him...also without just myself i beat one not by much but i still beat him...not to mention the first turn comes and the 335i is bye bye...PLUS its an M3 PLUS just look at everything on an e46 m3 vs a 335i...no question IMO...handling,looks and price isnt too bad for an m3...if you want a smooth ride and a nice nav screen get a 335i if you want pure race bred M power its m3 all the way
Old 04-02-2008, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: BBI 512,05 M3,Gl450
A 335 with the M package. Then if you want to go faster turn up the boost.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 335i/2006 E46 M3
Ah, there are so many threads already like this dude anyways me personal views.
335i
- Comfort
- Easy to tune (cheap)
- Better on fuel
- Newer curves
- Easy to drive

M3
- Not comfortable (feels like a race car)
- Better Sounding (NA I6 at 8000rpms sounds awesome)
- M factor (attention to detail)
- Stock for Stock M3 is faster
- M3 gets an 8 on the fun factor, 335i gets a 5.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerman View Post
A 335 with the M package. Then if you want to go faster turn up the boost.
a 3 series with the "m package" is total wannabe...i would never try to be something that im not even close to being..IMO thats the worst thing bmw has done it making 3 and 1 series and offering the "m package" if you turn the boost up then it will kill the life of that car..maybe just get a bigger turbo...if you want a M car then get an M car not a wannabe 3 series...sorry 335i fans
Old 04-03-2008, 12:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 M3
A friend brings his 335i to the track, and he is very fast. (I have an M3, btw). They're both great cars, both very nice at the track or on the road. IMO, they are pretty similar on the track given similar intermediate-level drivers.

It would be nice to have a warranty, which implies the 335. And if you are a modder, then the 335 wins hands-down. It's almost impossible to add power to an e46 M3, but with just a few $thousand, you can add 50+ HP to a 335 just with a chip. Add some track rims and tires and some minor suspension mods and you will kick the m3's a$$ around the track.

--C
Old 04-03-2008, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E46 M3 CS
M3 of coz... exceptional handling and performance..
see if you can get a 2006 model with competition package
Old 04-03-2008, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 E39
the c6 vette is also nice.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan504 View Post
the c6 vette is also nice.
agreed..but i still love my M3
Old 04-08-2008, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_M_V335i View Post
335i
- Comfort
- Easy to tune (cheap)
- Better on fuel
- Newer curves
- Easy to drive

M3
=+1

A regular 3 series will never be an "M" car. Don't even try to compare the two. As fast as the 335 maybe, at the end of the day, it will just be a 335 with no "M" credentials. As tight as my M3 is, I still prefer the ride and the "M" factor that it delivers.

Cheers
Old 04-09-2008, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 335
335 is better.....

I have a 335 sedan with 6spd manual, sport and prem , and I have an '04 M3 vert for weekends, fun etc.......the M3 is fun to drive, but other than that the 335 will chew it up and spit it out in everyway...the feel and sound of those turbos is unreal....D7
Old 04-09-2008, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin77 View Post
I have a 335 sedan with 6spd manual, sport and prem , and I have an '04 M3 vert for weekends, fun etc.......the M3 is fun to drive, but other than that the 335 will chew it up and spit it out in everyway...the feel and sound of those turbos is unreal....D7
The sound of the turbos? You can actually hear them?
I have both as well, My 335 is slower than my M3 but yours is a vert that may be why.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin77 View Post
HAHAHAHAH that made my day...good laugh..im sure you can hear those turbos buddy cause everytime i smoke one i dont hear turbos all i hear is the sound on my s54 revving at 7900rpms!..im sorry im sure you love your new 335 but dont say things like it will chew an M3 up you 335 guys can maybe argue with the fact it can somewhat keep up in a straight line but that comment really pushed it...cause on a track you will get smoked bad..but hey atleast you can have a nice comfy car to wait in while the tow truck comes to take you off the track
Old 04-09-2008, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 Coupe
Keepin' it real.

Hi guys - first post - haven't posted in the 'Newbies' forum yet because I don't have a picture of my ride but will later today - just joined the M family with a gorgeous carbon black 2004 M3 coupe SMG w/premium and 19s (just joined the Bimmer family too... nice upgrade from my Honda Civic - I just graduated and started working though, so I'm excused.) ... I wasn't going to post at all and just sit and read for a while until I got 'warmed up' but man, whats up with the M3 bashing in the M3 section of the forum? I don't have both, but I definitely have friends who have the 335, both coupe and sedan, and we're definitely faster than them both off of a light, around turns and even on the freeway; albeit on the freeway the lighter coupe does sometimes give us Ms a run for our money. Still, I'm really happy with my M; nothing like the sixth bar with DSC off/Sport on blasting off of a red light.

Speaking of blasting off of red lights, I pulled up to a Gallardo in Anaheim Hills here in So Cal (street called Weir Canyon, the locals know of it) at a light and I'm proud to say that off of the light I didn't only keep up with the Gallardo but inched away for a second (up until second gear) before the Gallardo took off... still, I wasn't more than a couple car lengths away until the next light. Good return on this $40k investment against that $130k!

Anyway, really excited to be a part of this family, I definitely hope to meet some fellow M people soon (there's two carbon black premium package coupe M3s in my apartment complex, weird) - will definitely be posting more often... especially when I'm at work as I am now!
Old 04-11-2008, 11:03 AM

AliNaqvi, Welcome and congrats on your new car!
Old 04-11-2008, 08:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to M3-ADDICT
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW E46 M3 ZCP
I was given a 335I as a loaner. It was a fast car, but very doll and boring. It wasn't a car that I would wake up on Saturday and Sundays and just say, I'm going to go randomly drive it.

Also when I was commuting to work, I always felt like I had to prove something to someone. I had to prove to people that the 335I was fast, so I was constantly driving like a maniac getting people's attention. Always looking to see if other cars were looking at it. (Rice Mode Activated). At the end of the day, it was just another 3 series within the many new ones on the road.

When I got my M3 back, that was no longer the case. Wouldn't want the 335I even if it had 500HP. I think this is why a lot of 335I are on the market for sale. The first a few weeks, the owners love the raw power. After a while, due to dispassionate connectivity of the car to the road, it just doesn't seem as exciting.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-ADDICT View Post
I was given a 335I as a loaner. It was a fast car, but very doll and boring. It wasn't a car that I would wake up on Saturday and Sundays and just say, I'm going to go randomly drive it.

Also when I was commuting to work, I always felt like I had to prove something to someone. I had to prove to people that the 335I was fast, so I was constantly driving like a maniac getting people's attention. Always looking to see if other cars were looking at it. (Rice Mode Activated). At the end of the day, it was just another 3 series within the many new ones on the road.

When I got my M3 back, that was no longer the case. Wouldn't want the 335I even if it had 500HP. I think this is why a lot of 335I are on the market for sale. The first a few weeks, the owners love the raw power. After a while, due to dispassionate connectivity of the car to the road, it just doesn't seem as exciting.
well said,VERY well said...M3 all the way..you really made a good point about having to prove something with the 335...nicely said again that was right on the dot there
Old 04-12-2008, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-ADDICT View Post

I agree with your statement about driving faster with the 335i to show people "Hey, look at me I'm fast!!! Freshman Syndrome

But with the M3 it's more like "Wow, its an M3 that's a fast car!!!" Seniors Rules
Old 04-14-2008, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 Coupe
Thumbs up

Thanks!

The simple fact is that more heads turn when you're in the M - I'd be looking too, if I had quad exhausts staring me in the face!

I'm glad to report that my E46 is faster off the line than the new Lexus ISF (the roided out IS with the stacked exhausts, sup with that?) - this guy in his brand new, out of the dealership, $60k ISF (nice wheels though) pulled up to the light with his chick and HIMSELF opted to rev his engine and I gladly responded - and of course, SMGizzed him to shame. His face at the next light was one of utter disappointment and resentment - he just bought the car and it already lost to the 'old model' M3!

... and I hadn't even turned DSC off.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliNaqvi View Post
Thanks!

... and I hadn't even turned DSC off.
Haha...that sucks for him...nice kill!
Old 04-18-2008, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_M_V335i View Post
335i
- Comfort
- Easy to tune (cheap)
- Better on fuel
- Newer curves
- Easy to drive

M3

I completely agreed. I have both and I love driving the 335i for its comfort and well balance suspension and power. Don't get me wrong, I love my M3 and it's my DD, but I do look forward on weekend to drive my wife's E90TT. Which one would I keep?? M3 hands down of course...
Old 04-29-2008, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 M3 SMG
All I have to say is "M". Do you see any M in a 335i? We're a distinctive breed, recognized and respectfully "awwwwwed" wherever and whenever we go. Even on the turns, my M3 will blow and hug the road much better than a CL500. Been there, done that.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 01 Nissan A33 SE 5M
Such a tough decision. I dont have either car but worship both. To get input from a non bias person owning neither car, I would say it depends on what you want and here's another highlight of what you get from both cars.

Before explaining, the obvious must be said. If you are looking for a drag car, 335i all the way. Track car, M3 all the way.

As a daily driver, here are the things I seen and still look to address:

335i
- better gas mileage
- more comfort inside
- better ride? (many complaints about run flat tires so this is debatable)

M3
- Can take way more abuse (I know too many people that hit 7900 rpm on a daily basis and no engine issues)
- great handle for switching lanes
- CHEAPER (this is my biggest debate. With cheaper prices on older M3's, very tempting to grab over a 335i)
- SM fawking G (biggest reason I plan to get an M3)

I'm a big fan of turbo's and I would only get louder BOV if I ever upgraded a 335i (too expensive to mod + car is perfect the way it is on both sides), but concerns of turbo's dieing later worry me.

My biggest desire is an automatic that feels like a manual. Best of both worlds. I currently drive stick and would like another but hate waiting in traffic and this issue almost made me go standard auto. To have the privilege of driving an SMG is enough to make an M3 my first choice. Although 335i has paddle shifters and everyone says auto 335i drives just as good as a manual, i prefer SMG over anything. Looks better also.

I'm currently in an older Maxima so power/handle doesnt matter to me cause i'll be happy whichever way I go. Driveability and comfort and price are my prioritiies.

Driveability - M3 due to SMG
Comfort - 335i but with stock tires, M3 still edges
Price - M3 now found under 30k easily with an extended warranty

Hopefully my input has helped others?

MODS: Body Color Reflectors | Clifford Matrix 50.7x 2 way pager | Euro Dyne No Holes License Plate Bracket
Soon to come: Audio System Overhaul & Eclipse AVN 726e DVD/Navi

Last edited by meccanoble; 05-08-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 135i
No doubt M3. the classic look. M3, The Ultimate Driving Machine.