Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-24-2008, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
Cylinder head issues

hello

i have a bmw e36 318i 1994 1.8.

i seem to have an issue with my cylinder head. i have called everywhere to price new and used ones but what i have found so far is too expensive.

does anyone know a place in Farmborough/ Hampshire UK or even slightly further where i am able to get my own one reconditioned. it is not badly damaged and i think i really only need it skimmed.

i am still driving the car and the temperature never goes above half. it runs smoothly and so this is the reason i dont think it is badly damaged. coolant level has not dropped - does this sound like a head problem as the car has a very rough idle on start up. i had these same symptoms about 8 months ago and tried everything you can think of from ICV etc. the problem was actually a damaged head gasget so i think this time it may be the cylinder head

i am in desperate need to get this done so any recomendations would be most welcome

thanks a lot
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2008, 07:54 AM
Monacoblau mit beige

Mein Auto: E92 330i Manual
I don't see how you would only get problems on initial startup if it was something as serious as the cylinder head. How many miles has the car done? If it drives smoothly, the basic mechanic condition of the engine must be okay and its more something related to how the engine behaves as it warms up and the fuel mixture adjusts itself - no idea what.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
car has done 120k. it has been extremely well looked after. as i said i have had the head off before and the block was ok and hardly any movement from the pistons -i know it has a bit of mileage but it is in goog condition. there is some kind of valve system covered by a plastic cap that is conected from the rocker cover to this valve- i had to change the valve under this cap recently which dealt with the rough idling but now its back but not as bad as before.

i also have a fault code reader and this has brought back no fault codes

so confused.

thanks