Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > Bimmerfest 2008: Santa Barbara, CA

Bimmerfest 2008: Santa Barbara, CA
May 3rd has come and gone. Read stories, check out the pics and more from the largest BMW gathering in the land...

Old 05-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Living my Ultimate dream

Mein Auto: 2007 335ic, 2009 X5 3.0
Great time at Bimmerfest - one suggestion to consider for future events

I had a great time at my first Bimmerfest today. It won't be my last. Besides the event, my wife and I had a great time visiting Santa Barbara for the first time.

I have just one suggestion for future Bimmerfests.......I would have liked to know the owners of each car in attendance. It would be nice to give us the option of putting a Bimmerfest winshield placard (like the ones for the Battle of the Bimmers), that would include our Bimmerest user/screen name and location. Something like this:

twowinns
(Real name optional)
Puyallup, Washington

I wouldn't know any of you by your real name or face, but I am familiar with many user names. If we see a placard of some user name we recognize, we could choose to introduce ourselves, or leave a note under the wiper blades.

Thanks again to everyone who had a hand in putting this all together, including all the sponsors and vendors.

2009 E70 X5 3.0, Monaco Blue / Tobacco Leather / Dark Burl Walnut / Sport
Premium / Technology / CA / Sirius / iPod / Comfort, Heated seats / Running boards

2007 E92 335i, Space Gray / Black Leather / Gray Poplar
Sport / Premium / AT / Nav / CA / Sirius / iPod / Heated seats / Dinan flash
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Petrolhead

Mein Auto: 328i
That's a really good idea. But that would only tell us who the cars belong to. Name tags or some kind of pass to wear on a lanyard would help us know who other posters/attendees are.
............................that's what gets you."

..................................................-Jeremy Clarkson
Old 05-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Living my Ultimate dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed103 View Post
That's a really good idea. But that would only tell us who the cars belong to. Name tags or some kind of pass to wear on a lanyard would help us know who other posters/attendees are.
I like that, too.

Premium / Technology / CA / Sirius / iPod / Comfort, Heated seats / Running boards

Old 05-04-2008, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: :-)
i think bimmerfest just needs a new venue to accomodate all of the cars. it will only get bigger and a lot of people had to park in the dirt

i had a great time and had front row parking as i showed up with eurospec but the placecards are a good idea
Old 05-04-2008, 11:28 AM
OG Member #321

Send a message via AIM to MarcusSanDiego
Mein Auto: 2008 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakmywallet View Post
i think bimmerfest just needs a new venue to accomodate all of the cars. it will only get bigger and a lot of people had to park in the dirt

i had a great time and had front row parking as i showed up with eurospec but the placecards are a good idea
Rose Bowl parking lot in Pasadena.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328d M Sport
I would second the larger venue. I got at the 101 exit to the Earl Warren Show Grounds at 8:45 AM. With all of the traffic I did not get in to the venue. park, and get out of my car until 10:30 AM. That is not cool. Luckily, I was too busy looking at all the BMW's in the traffic to get upset. Sooner or later Bimmerfest will stagnate because people will stop coming due to these problems. That being said, overall it was a great day... great cars and great vendor support. Thanks.

2014 328d M Sport, Current
2010 GL Bluetec, Current
2007 E93 335i ED, History, Great Trip!
2005 530I History
2003 325i History
Old 05-04-2008, 01:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to TeKNiC3
Mein Auto: 330izhp:S2ooo:ElementSC
Another thing was the raffles. Didn't like how they were spread apart because when we were inside the building or walking around, it was hard to hear the numbers being called. Rather, they should have done the raffles all together.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:53 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
I also have a suggestion.

Don't allow any other make of a car in accept a BMW in or at least the people who wana see all the BMW's and don't have one park outside or park at the far lot thats away from the showgrounds. It was upsetting seeing a Lexus and a random toyota parked next to 348219081039123 BMW's.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 05-04-2008, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 840Ci
another good idea

its a graet idea to have name tags... I also think another good idea is to gather each series (3-5-6-8-Z) around same area so that it won't be so scattered and any enthusiast of any series would find all the cars in one area.. i noticed the different serieses were scattered all over the place and made it harder to find each on its own... specially cars which were made less of like the 8 series or the z's or the old 6's pr 2002's etc...

what do you guys think?/

A/
Old 05-04-2008, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: e30
put each model on the one spot... so more orginse... i think..

2nd i found one kids resale... his enterence ticket..
i'm piss but i got his car pic...
how this kid doing...
when he get in... he pay.. the ticket $20.00(or may be he not pay get from his friends)
after in... he get out from the fence and try to sell out side... who ever still waiting on the street try to get in...
but this kid lucky sell his ticket to one of the bimmer fans drive black 6 series.. and he pay him.. i dont know how much but i saw it.......... i'm i tell my friends he told me. just a kids..........

if you need pic of his car i send it to you guyssssssss..

any ways he drove white E 30 with 17" black center wheels (sportmax)

Last edited by sinyo1; 05-04-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:45 PM
LiveSTRONG With BMW

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Big issue with the COPS...
The CHP officers cruising the grounds were not there for security purposes. They were the guys you normally see in the white cars, whose working beat is to ticket for mechanical violations. That's why they were in the blue suits, and not the tan CHP uniforms.

I don't know about all y'all, but watching them snag and ticket cars exiting the Showgrounds just made me sick to my stomach. I realized later that they were scoping out the cars inside, then nailing them once they got out on the public road.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Petrolhead

There are some valid points and ideas here.

I doubt someone could stop the police from doing what they did though.

And I think it would be near impossible to organize the cars by model, since you'd have to estimate how many of each model would show, and keep them all from parking wherever they wanted. I also didn't like parking next to a 10 year old, white GMC van, but this is similar to parking by model. How would you do it? I'm sure it's possible, just a lot of work.

I do think we need a bigger venue though. I know the LA area has some possibilities. The Rose Bowl is a good idea, since it has a few good sized lots. Also the Pomona Fair Grounds. The lot there is huge. Really, any sports venue could be a possibility. I'd think they would just need an exceptionally huge parking lot and a nearby or neighboring area that could hold booths and presentations. Any ideas?

Old 05-04-2008, 04:01 PM

can i post the pic????? here.... piss me off realy.. piss me off...
Old 05-04-2008, 04:03 PM

pomona i think is good idea.... is huge.. also has drag track... or irwendale is big also..
Old 05-04-2008, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d M Sport
California Speedway is another option.

2014 328d M Sport, Current
2010 GL Bluetec, Current
2007 E93 335i ED, History, Great Trip!
2005 530I History
2003 325i History
Old 05-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Reich Rocket

Mein Auto: E-30 325i Cabrio
The Santa Barbara spot is nice, but this year the "commercialization" has extended too far out of the building. I know the events need sponsoring, but some big-arse trailer of tires, does'nt cut it. The show grounds do need to be bigger, but the coastal drive is what makes it epic! I don't mind the 3 1/2 hour drive, but not to a hot as heck Pomona.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Petrolhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by goenitz666 View Post
The Santa Barbara spot is nice, but this year the "commercialization" has extended too far out of the building. I know the events need sponsoring, but some big-arse trailer of tires, does'nt cut it. The show grounds do need to be bigger, but the coastal drive is what makes it epic! I don't mind the 3 1/2 hour drive, but not to a hot as heck Pomona.
Is there anything down your way? San Diego is a nice, coastal city. Plus the freeways getting there are massive 4-laners.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 M5 Imola Red
I think Jon needs to move it to the Puyallup fairgrounds in Washington. But of course that is because I am in Seattle and SB is just to damn far for me.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 528i
How about the Orange County Fairgrounds?

http://atlas.mapquest.com/maps/map.a...tate=CA&zoom=8

1. The parking lot is huge
2. Multiple entries into/out of the lot
3. Easy access to Highway 405 and 55.

I have only been to the parking lot of the OC Fair, so cant comment on the place in whole, but just thought I would throw it out there.

Other suggestions to Bimmerfest?

1. Wherever you have it next year, have a specific entry or two for those BMWs that will be part of the venue. Other entry for non BMWs as well as those that just want to get in and enjoy the fest.

2. Make a map available of where each and every sponsor is located in the venue.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Petrolhead

I also think it would be cool to list the anticipated times of the car clinics and what they will be presenting.

Though the surprises are kind of fun too. When I heard the first presentation was from Dinan about the turbo programming, I dropped what I was doing and went straight there. Amazing stuff!

Old 05-05-2008, 06:08 PM
The 12th Bruin!

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330i Topaz Blue
It would be nice if we didn't have to drive our freshly washed cars through dirt too....

That really sucked!

It would be nice to stay in SB, but I don't think they have anything big enough to accomodate us, especially seeing how much bigger it was this year.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Living my Ultimate dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzedHornet View Post
I think Jon needs to move it to the Puyallup fairgrounds in Washington. But of course that is because I am in Seattle and SB is just to damn far for me.
Sure is closer for me, but not nearly as fun of a drive.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:59 AM
Ironman

Mein Auto: 328ic, 325ix, 735i, 850i
As I stated in another post, I think pre-sold tickets would help with alot of the problems. You can limit the amount of cars to whatever the max is, and then you don't have 2000 cars all trying to enter the lot at the same time. Most bimmer owners would not have a problem with a $40.00 advance ticket price to save spending an hour burning gas and time waiting in line. With advance ticket sales you may be able to better organize the different models as well. I like the Rose Bowl idea, but the entrance areas can be crazy if everyone shows up at the same time. Orange County fairgrounds would be nice, but very expensive. I have gone to a nice show in Ventura that had all the cars spread over what seemed about 3 acres....very nice, plus enough parking for specators.

Hope to see you all next year wherever.........
Old 05-06-2008, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: e46 325i
well i really dont want it out of santa barbara. its a really beautiful place and a nice drive up there. Does UC Santa Barbara have a large parking lot?
Old 05-06-2008, 09:16 AM
07 335i

Mein Auto: 335i
great time, great show...