Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 05-11-2008, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X5
2004 BMW X5 Panoramic Sunroof - Faulty

Hi, please can anyone help? I have a 2004 X5 with an electric panoramic sunroof. The rear roof is faulty and only opens slightly but then doesn't close at all. This stops the front roof closing and I have to use the manual winding tool and then push the rear roof raising arms back manually to shut the roof. As soon as I touch any button for the roof it goes straight back to the same position. Any ideas please?? Many thanks.
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2008, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: x5
Angry BMW x5 panoramic roof problems not closing

Hi, I'm having the same fun with a 2004 x5. The rear section also will not close. Did you find any solutions? How did you manually get the rear roof section down, I cannot see how you can do this. Please help it's raining!!!
Old 03-27-2009, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: 3000 cc x5 d
sunroof fault

hi,how did you get on with your panoramic sunroof fault,i have the same problem mate.cheers.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: X5 2004
Panoramic Sunroof X5 2004 Repairs

The back flap of my 2004 X5 Pana sunroof wouldn't close over the weekend, so I took it to Park Ave in Maywood. I was told that the cable had broken the pulls it closed. To do a repair of the rails and cable would be $2,200 (including 14 hrs labor!!!) but if the entire sliding kit was needed, it was closer to $4,000. ABSURD!!!!

I asked them to close it, and they did that for an hour's worth of labor. You can be at the moment that I'm not going to open it!

Does anyone have a lower price estimate?
Old 04-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Chalk up the panoramic sunroof to the problems that BMW (and Mercedes too) seem to be having with these as well as their window regulators. I just don't use mine, didn't want it but it came with the car at no cost. All I need it to do is work when I trade the thing in. Lots of comments on the X3 board about sunroof problems as well.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8is
My general rule of thumb with these things is that if it fails and it doesn't hugely bother you, leave it in the closed position and live with it. Repairing any sunroof is typically a huge pain in the ass. It typically involves ripping out the entire headliner to get to the running gear. And, the work itself can be tedious and require more than one person to do. That tempered glass is not thin and is not light. It's impossible to manipulate it by yourself.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: US
Sun shade (visor) stuck inside top of X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfactors View Post
Hi, please can anyone help? I have a 2004 X5 with an electric panoramic sunroof. The rear roof is faulty and only opens slightly but then doesn't close at all. This stops the front roof closing and I have to use the manual winding tool and then push the rear roof raising arms back manually to shut the roof. As soon as I touch any button for the roof it goes straight back to the same position. Any ideas please?? Many thanks.
Hi, I know this is an old issue at the forum, but I have the same problem except for the sun shade on my 04 X5 is stuck inside the roof, it will not pull back, with the summer coming up and 40+F sometimes in VA, I need to fix that since I do not wish to be toasted. Took it to an indi and was told they will need to take off the whole liner, three days and cost about $2500. I see here someone was saying it cost over $6K at the dealers. I feel it's got to be something more simple, like you can pull it out altho I tried that but it feels something holding it pretty firm. Anyone can help? Thanks!
Old 04-17-2011, 12:16 PM

Well, my first post here and guess what? Yes, my pan sunroof rear section is on vent mode and don't close. WTF???? I try to reset it and nothing.
Anyone has the solution or know exactly what to do/happens? I read somenthing about a part number kit: 54 13 7 240 682. Anyone try it?
Well, any help will be welcome,

Thank you

Chris
Old 04-18-2011, 06:24 PM

I found a video on youtube with my problem. Anyone help?

Old 04-21-2011, 08:44 PM

Well, the car goes to the Dealer to see what happens. Not a diagnostic yet, but they close the rear section and ask me to let the car for 3 days to fix it on monday. I have the extended cover and they say that I'll not spend a penny with that. That was the best part, for me. I'll update this post soon I can get the car back and found what happens or broke.

Chris
Old 05-08-2011, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 4.4 X5 Black
X5 Panoramic Sunroof stuck - problem

Hi all, My X5 has the same issue, rear glass stuck on ONE side. both glass roof sections try to close but the rear glass only moves on one side...result is both glass sections stay open in vent position...lossened rear glass screws and removed glass and tried to close...front glass went thru the motions to close but popped back up to vent position...looking at the cables and wedge shaped ramps at left and right that lift the rear glass...only the left rear wedge moves...the right side wedge does not move...cannot push it forwards or backwards...not sure how hard to push...have read need to push one side at a time 'reward' until both LH and RH are moved back, but I have not tried this yet...I would think the LH side is connected to motor and could not be pushed back manually. Anybody with a diagnosis what part is broken and how easy can be fixed?...pictures and instructions?...I found a work around on the net that disables the rear glass...lot's of folks say it works great...but I am not sure if it will work for MY stuck ONE side problem.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMWPanoramasunroofclosingandfixing[1].pdf (1.15 MB, 5539 views)
Old 05-08-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckx5 View Post
Hi all, My X5 has the same issue, rear glass stuck on ONE side. both glass roof sections try to close but the rear glass only moves on one side...result is both glass sections stay open in vent position...lossened rear glass screws and removed glass and tried to close...front glass went thru the motions to close but popped back up to vent position...looking at the cables and wedge shaped ramps at left and right that lift the rear glass...only the left rear wedge moves...the right side wedge does not move...cannot push it forwards or backwards...not sure how hard to push...have read need to push one side at a time 'reward' until both LH and RH are moved back, but I have not tried this yet...I would think the LH side is connected to motor and could not be pushed back manually. Anybody with a diagnosis what part is broken and how easy can be fixed?...pictures and instructions?...I found a work around on the net that disables the rear glass...lot's of folks say it works great...but I am not sure if it will work for MY stuck ONE side problem.
I'm waiting some parts coming from Germany to fix my problem. I have exactly the same problem like you. The one side of rear section was closing, equal to your problem. If you could close it, I'll find what they (dealer) will change in mine and tell you everything. But the part still coming. The dealer just close the sunroof for me, I don't know how, yet.

But a important note: Don't push your sunroof repeating the operation to close the rear sunroof 'cause in my case, one side of rear was working (like yours) and I did 4 or 6 times some attempts to close it. Guess what? The other side stop working to. Dammn.

Chris
Old 05-08-2011, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 4.4 X5 Black
Chris, thanks for the warning. I'll try not to close it any more unless I have to. Might have to go to dealer to get the roof closed temporarily.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: Land Rover Discovery 1
panoramic sunroof fix X-3 X-5

If you live in the Central Florida area email me and I can fix it. If you want to try the DIY modification yourself email me and I can send the info on the mod. This will get the rear glass to close permanently and the front glass to function normally.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: X5, 545i
I have an 2006 3.0 X5 and have a similar problem with the panoramic sunroof - the glass closed fine, but the rear panel does not come out of the back any longer. the front panel over the driver is in place, but the real panel that covers the passengers in the rear seats seems to be stuck. Same expensive thing told by the dealer to fix, and no warranty. bummer.

b
Old 05-23-2011, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 sDrive 23i
Sell it while you can..my brothers x5 wouldn't stop leaking
Old 05-24-2011, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: Sorry VW,s
BMW X5 sunroof problem.

Hi all from down under , I have spent 30 years plus working with sunroofs and only recently did I figure out how to solve the malady of the X5 sunroofs being stuck open . DO not spend the ridiculous money that dealers and the like want to rob you of , the fix that I have discovered is so simple it that I am surprised it hasn,t been disclosed before . First thing to point out here is that the repair will render the rear part of your sunroof totally inoperable , what I mean is that you can still use your shades and slide the front glass open and tilt the front glass but the rear will remain permanently closed . Obviously if there is any other problems with your roof other than the rear stuck open this will not help. As a newby on this forum I will not disclose the fix in public if you wish to find out please feel free to contact me and send me your email so I can send the photos and details . The fix can be done by any one with some simple home tools and believe it or not takes no more than five minutes to do . Howard

Last edited by sunny43.5; 06-11-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
We are having the same issue - the first part of the sunroof open, but the second is stuck. I was told that in the worst case scenario, it will cost me $5400 plus labour. Yayks!
Old 06-11-2011, 07:53 PM

Hi Edmonton you can close the roof your self just sit in the back seat with blinds open look under the rear glass you will see a metal fitting which has a tapered end on the front like a ramp you will also see a small hole in it . All you need to do is use a screw driver to push this ramp reawards do each side a bit at a time as the ramp moves the glass will close . Now remember do not use the roof again as the first time you use the vent position it will push the glass at the rear back up again and to close you will have to do the procedure all over again . If you wish to do the repair I mention yourself please send me your email adress and I will send you the instructions and photos it only takes five minutes to do and afterwards you will still have a fully functioning front suroof panel which will slide and tilt along with the blinds working . The fix only disables the rear glass leaving every thing else working normaly without the rear one going up and staying up any more . Regards Howard

Last edited by sunny43.5; 06-11-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Yikes! I have an 04 X5. I hope this never happens to me. I'd probably sell the car and get a newer model if this happen to me.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:42 PM

Hey there don,t panic if your X5 does develop the problem described it wont cost any thing other than five minutes of time to sort out , but if you go to BMW dealer then you will pay pay pay if you get them to try and fix it . Howard [Australia]
Old 06-14-2011, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Thanx

We were able to do exactly as you described it: the back glass roof is closed now. Thanks for that. However, there is still a gap between the two glasses (the back panel is higher than the front panel). For now (until we get a chance to permanently disable the back panel), I had to prop the front panel up so that it is flush with the back panel. Do you how to fix this gab?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW X5
Same problem!
Old 06-18-2011, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton View Post
We were able to do exactly as you described it: the back glass roof is closed now. Thanks for that. However, there is still a gap between the two glasses (the back panel is higher than the front panel). For now (until we get a chance to permanently disable the back panel), I had to prop the front panel up so that it is flush with the back panel. Do you how to fix this gab?
Hi again Edmonton , I can only guess what is wrong with the gap you mention if you had to prop up the front roof to get it level there are two possible answers first the roof may have to be reprogrammed but you should not do this until the back roof has been immobilised send me your direct email and I will send photos and instructions . After the modification you need to push and hold continuously the vent function that is push and hold the centre of the button , after about sixty seconds the roof will go through a reprogramming sequence do not let go of the button until its complete the roof shades will first move then they will slide back followed by the front glass sliding back and then closing the shades will then close only then should you remove your finger . Once complete the roof should operate as normal . The second answer is that the front glass locating screws may be loose and this is causing the glass to be lower than the rear . I would not adjust these screws until doing the mod as I suspect that programming is your problem . If after reprogramming the glass is still lower than the rear then check the rear locating screws they will be along each side towards the back on the inside . You can use these screws to adjust the height of the glass . Regards Howard
PS any one else with this problem please send me your direct email so I can send the fix direct to you with photos .
Old 06-21-2011, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Rear Panel / front panel issues

Thanks to Sunny43.5ís information I was able to get my back panel closed.

In addition to the rear panel being stuck open, when I was finally able to get it closed the front panel would then close about 1 cm below the back panel. Has anybody had this issue?

I eventually had to raise the front panel manually to get it even with the back panel. I then removed the fuse to prevent any accidental actuation.

In the process of checking the tracks I found some broken black plastic debris on both sides. Maybe this caused the rear panel from closing or kept the front from closing flush with the back automatically?

Does anyone know if it is normal for a little water to leak through the rear window seals? After I got the rear sunroof panel closed I poured water over it to check the seal. I then found small amounts of water on the side rear tracks. I assume that this then drains just like it would if the roof were in the vented position in the rain?