Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 05-12-2008, 12:45 AM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
had the 335i as a loaner. crazy fast. i enjoyed burning out in that thing

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
Old 05-12-2008, 07:17 AM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-ADDICT View Post
I was given a 335I as a loaner. It was a fast car, but very doll and boring. It wasn't a car that I would wake up on Saturday and Sundays and just say, I'm going to go randomly drive it.

Also when I was commuting to work, I always felt like I had to prove something to someone. I had to prove to people that the 335I was fast, so I was constantly driving like a maniac getting people's attention. Always looking to see if other cars were looking at it. (Rice Mode Activated). At the end of the day, it was just another 3 series within the many new ones on the road.

When I got my M3 back, that was no longer the case. Wouldn't want the 335I even if it had 500HP. I think this is why a lot of 335I are on the market for sale. The first a few weeks, the owners love the raw power. After a while, due to dispassionate connectivity of the car to the road, it just doesn't seem as exciting.
You definitely hit the nail on the head when you say "It wasn't a car that I would wake up on Saturday and Sundays and just say, I'm going to go randomly drive it." I agree 100% the 335 just doesn't have that "race car" feel that the M3 has and it doesn't feel special that way. One thing though is when comparing the two cars I actually feel the opposite, that I drive the 335 slower. The M3 would just ask me to push it faster through the corners because it felt like it was meant to do that. Also the glorious intoxicating sound and feel of the engine as the tach swept past 5K rpms. I definitely drove the M3 faster. Not racing with other drivers and not in an abusive way but simply enjoying the car the way it was meant to be enjoyed (as much as you can on public roads anyway). The 335i is more of a cruiser, IMO. It gets you were you need to go in a relaxed manner and for that reason I find myself driving it as more of a fantastic DD then a sports car.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:11 AM
///Michael

Mein Auto: 2001 ///M3
M3
Old 05-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 AV6 Cpe
I was going to ask the same question as this post, as I see used 335is about the same price range as used E46s... sounds like the M3 hands down baby.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:34 PM
SteepnDeep

Mein Auto: 2002 M3 Convertible
Well I haven't bothered to read all of the replies but I just spent the day today at the track and I can tell you that the new M3 is a race car. The 335 is a city car that looks good and has great accelleration and is very human friendly. The new M3 sounds like a real beast eventhough I kept up with them today. I have a modified 02 m3. The 335s that were at the track were quick though the corners (probably driver ability) but were blown away coming out of the corner onto the straightaway. They just didnt have the torque and the hp to keep up.

Depends what you want...My wife hates my 02 M3...Do I care...NO
Old 05-29-2008, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: e46 m3 06
m3
Old 06-05-2008, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: Audi A4 Avant
I test drove them back to back. I have to say that I'm still torn.

The 335i hands down the better street car. It embodies that great balance of luxury, style and performance. It can keep up with an M3 on the street.

M3, oh my. I can see it chew up the 335 through a road course. So much communication, such top end power, not the intimidating mid-range torque to wrestle through corners.

It'll come down to this for me:

If I can keep my MR2 turbo as a track car, then I get the 335i. If it has to pull double duties as daily driver and track toy, then the M3.

I suppose I could do a Dinan stageII and an LSD and things would be mighty close... Still, love the looks of the e46M3
Old 06-06-2008, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M3; 2008 335i Coupe
335i or M3 ??

My wife drives an Alpine White 335i coupe with M Sports package. There's a really cool set of road wheels which came with it. It's a mean looking thing on the road. I drive a Silver E46 M3 coupe. After time with both cars, I prefer my M3. The 335i coupe is super quick, but its not a sports car. Lots of new gadgets, great leather, etc, etc. But give me my M3 any day. It has tremendous driver involment, gear changes are snappy, acceleration is mind blowing. And I can drive every day. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Am I the only one who thinks the 335i has turbo lag? Granted it's not as bad as most Turboed cars but nevertheless it's still there. The M3 is the better driver's car, no doubt.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_M_V335i View Post
Ah, there are so many threads already like this dude anyways me personal views.
335i
- Comfort
- Easy to tune (cheap)
- Better on fuel
- Newer curves
- Easy to drive

M3
- Not comfortable (feels like a race car)
- Better Sounding (NA I6 at 8000rpms sounds awesome)
- M factor (attention to detail)
- Stock for Stock M3 is faster
- M3 gets an 8 on the fun factor, 335i gets a 5.
I recently did European Delivery of a friend's 335xci coupe, I used to own a 330Ci convertible, and currently traded my 2006 X3 for a friend's M3 convertible for a week. So, I've driven both the E46 M3 and the 335 for several days each. The summary above nails it. The 335 is newer, easier to drive, comfortable, etc. The M3 is raw, exciting, in your face, and classic. The seats alone are worth it!
The only piece this post missed is maintenance costs. A brake job, for example, is significantly more on the M3 than on a 335. But as a single guy, I'd go for the M3 in a second. If I had a family, the 335.

Hope that helps!
-James
Old 06-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Mod the driver

Mein Auto: BMW
Time marches on

Just wondering if anyone prefers the E36 M3 over the E46 M3 for the same differences you are citing between the E46 M3 and the E9x 335? It seems like the older car is the more pure car until enough time goes by and it is just the older car. Would anyone take an E30 M3 over the E46 M3?

I have an E36 M3 and an E46 330i so I can't give you a good comparison to the E46 M3, but it seems like a very similar story (more comfort, more weight, better ride, more toys).

So to put it back to the OP's question, some people prefer newer cars period- can't fix that. Some people prefer the current reigning champ of M, but that is subject to change. M3 FTW!!!

Also, to the earlier point, I have had several sleeper turbo cars and I drove them like a complete jerk. It was "look how fast this stupid car is!!" all day long. You don't need to do that in the real deal.