Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 745Li
DIY - Trunk trim removal to access tail lights

I have searched all over so please dont kill me if this has been talked about. I need to replace the two led light housings on the trunk lid. I have successfully removed the middle piece(which holds the trunk button) but it seems the the two side lights have fasteners under the plastic bottom piece of the trunk (the piece where the license plate screws to) How do i remove that plastic garnish piece. Ive tried to pull on it but it doesnt seem to "snap" in place. I also didnt see any screws on the backside under the plastics. I know i need a service guide but i have to have this done by this weekend for a photoshoot so i dont have time to order one. Any help would be appreciated.

WS
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2008, 09:31 AM
jcarey

Mein Auto: 2004 745i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by drez14 View Post
I have searched all over so please dont kill me if this has been talked about. I need to replace the two led light housings on the trunk lid. I have successfully removed the middle piece(which holds the trunk button) but it seems the the two side lights have fasteners under the plastic bottom piece of the trunk (the piece where the license plate screws to) How do i remove that plastic garnish piece. Ive tried to pull on it but it doesnt seem to "snap" in place. I also didnt see any screws on the backside under the plastics. I know i need a service guide but i have to have this done by this weekend for a photoshoot so i dont have time to order one. Any help would be appreciated.

WS
Drez,
I have removed these lights when I tinted them on my 2004 745i. The lights are attached with screws located below the red portions underneath the rear deck lid facia panel. This panel is plastic and is removed from the deck lid's metal work by pulling it outward to release the body clips. These clips are very similar to the inner door panel clips you may have seen. When I pulled mine off, I was concerned that I may crack it by pulling up on the panel itself, so I worked with thin tools to first locate the clips and then applied pressure upward as close to these clips as I could, to "pop" them out of the deck lid. It took some time but in the end I was able to remove the panel and access the screws for the lights.

The procedures are in the BMW TIS but they weren't much help other than to convince me that the panel did indeed come off.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2680626/1
Old 06-08-2008, 09:32 AM
jcarey

Mein Auto: 2004 745i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by drez14 View Post

WS
Drez,
I created this PDF for you of the steps to remove the trunk lid trim and lights. Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E65 Rear Lid Trim and Lights RnRopt.pdf (460.7 KB, 1599 views)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2680626/1
Old 06-13-2008, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 745Li
jcarey,

you are awesome!

thank you so much.

drez14
Old 06-13-2008, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 745 LI JET BLACK
Just what I was looking for thanks! Post in DIY section
Closed Thread