Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:22 PM
BMW Genius @ BMW Portland

Mein Auto: M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamotors View Post
and here i am driving as much as i can to empty my tank so i can fill up with 91 octane. with my dad driving i can get 300miles out of my tank with my 4.10 diff.
heres what you do. you syphon out all the gas..put it in a gas can..and ship it my way!
Old 05-23-2008, 06:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1988 BMW 325i
dudes, you want to talk about gas mileage...the car I drive while my bimmer is in the shop w/ turbo related stuff (so the car I drive the most haha) is a Jeep wrangler. Holy crap i can watch the gas guage go down!

That said, I try to drive as little as possible...I have a beach cruiser I ride around!

The E30 is what all actual driving enthusiasts are after. It's an unpretentious machine, quietly capable of spectacular feats of handling. It's light, simple design is rugged enough to run against $400k rally cars, but on the street it' communicative chassis delights even the most disinterested driver. It really is one of the world's ultimate driving machines
Old 05-23-2008, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
all of these 0-60's were at about 6000ft elevation, so i bet i could get some better times if i went down to sea level.

19psi turbo M20
Flared,Alpina,Turbo goodness
Old 05-23-2008, 11:37 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30_325i View Post
yeah id like to ride a bike to school..but im about 14 miles away from my school. and yet a motorcycle would seem more practical for the most part.
thats it? pff i can do 14 miles on a road bike (pedal) in about a half hour, and hardly break a sweat. ok not really, my legs would be rubber by the time i get back if its a flat road.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:43 PM
livin large

Quote:
That said, I try to drive as little as possible...I have a beach cruiser I ride around!
yes! i havnt seen any one on a beach cruiser lately. i want to get one as soon as i move closer to work. 5 miles one way on a 40lb bike that is made to go downhill and is completely bomb proof, isnt quite the way to be ecomonical. i rather drop the $20 in gas a week than $100 a week in energy drinks and protein crap.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:15 PM

i lowered my tires psi down to 29 hopefully i can get a better launch. they were at 32psi

19psi turbo M20
Old 05-24-2008, 06:08 PM
livin large

Quote:
i lowered my tires psi down to 29 hopefully i can get a better launch. they were at 32psi
front 32, rear 40. got new tires a couple months ago and havnt added pressure to the front.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downhiller View Post
front 32, rear 40. got new tires a couple months ago and havnt added pressure to the front.
40 psi? the owners manuel says for 4 passenger to use 30+psi and for just the driver to use 28psi. so even im using too much

19psi turbo M20
Old 05-24-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
thats it? pff i can do 14 miles on a road bike (pedal) in about a half hour, and hardly break a sweat. ok not really, my legs would be rubber by the time i get back if its a flat road.
haha. youd have to be that armstrong guy to do that lol. and i did ride a bike to my school once. and daaaaamn was i tired. i had my friend drive me back home haha.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:11 PM
livin large

Quote:
40 psi? the owners manuel says for 4 passenger to use 30+psi and for just the driver to use 28psi. so even im using too much
theres alot in the owners manuel that i dont fallow, i run 40 because: 1) better fuel econ, 2) if i do anything fun its drifting, 3) high performance tires with a taller side wall (lower the pressure the more tire roll youll get), 4) i just do because the max on the tire is 65psi.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: 1989 BMW 325I
Quote:
soooo what are your 0-60's. what does a stock e30 with a manuel transmission run.
mine does about 20 seconds, im still trying to find the problem with it though.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 1989 BMW 325I
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat88 View Post
mine does about 20 seconds, im still trying to find the problem with it though.
i found the problem with it, its a 325E (emphasis on the e)
Old 07-21-2008, 03:29 PM
610EUROs

Mein Auto: 90' 24v, 89' 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat88 View Post
i found the problem with it, its a 325E (emphasis on the e)
i found the problem with your ford mustang .. its a ford mustang (emphasis on the ford and mustang)

build: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=382667
Old 07-21-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcsteve View Post
i found the problem with your ford mustang .. its a ford mustang (emphasis on the ford and mustang)
hahaha. priceless.

that quote is a keeper.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:15 PM

oh ****, is this thread revived? I'm taking my time down tomorrow!

The E30 is what all actual driving enthusiasts are after. It's an unpretentious machine, quietly capable of spectacular feats of handling. It's light, simple design is rugged enough to run against $400k rally cars, but on the street it' communicative chassis delights even the most disinterested driver. It really is one of the world's ultimate driving machines
Old 07-21-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy08 View Post
oh ****, is this thread revived? I'm taking my time down tomorrow!
hell yes it is!
Old 07-21-2008, 09:24 PM

why'd my thread come back, oh well, i did a couple 0-60's yesterday anyway, it was a 7.0 with my dad in the car and the tools and all the trim ,moulding and fender liners in the trunk. the first run with no tire spin was an 8.0, and the good one was a 7.0 because i preloaded a little and got the tires to spin. also my car now uses an electric fan, and has a different CAI, and i did these tests with no headlights.
heres an update on my car.

tommorow im getting paint, im so excited, my cars going to look perfect.

19psi turbo M20
Old 07-21-2008, 09:34 PM

gahh. yours is going to look so perfect. have you ever thought about getting a 5 speed? seeing how you can tear down and rebuild your e30 and all..
Old 07-21-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30_325i View Post
gahh. yours is going to look so perfect. have you ever thought about getting a 5 speed? seeing how you can tear down and rebuild your e30 and all..
phhhhhht 5 speed who needs it, my car runs great the way it is why change things. maybe i'll be the only one with an auto that works some day.

19psi turbo M20
Old 07-21-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
phhhhhht 5 speed who needs it, my car runs great the way it is why change things. maybe i'll be the only one with an auto that works some day.
haha. well i had an auto e30..but heard how much more fun a 5 speed is. and..well..whoever told me that, was correct

but as long as you like it..thats all that matters..right?
Old 07-21-2008, 10:57 PM
livin large

Quote:
everyone needs a 5sp because 1) you dont tailgate someone on a hill at a redlight 2) to properly learn how to drive correctly (im old skool remember) 3) theyre just so much more fun 4) everyone needs to build their left leg muscles. no need to build the right, just left. plus you get better foot, eye, hand cornation
Old 07-21-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
everyone needs a 5sp because 1) you dont tailgate someone on a hill at a redlight 2) to properly learn how to drive correctly (im old skool remember) 3) theyre just so much more fun 4) everyone needs to build their left leg muscles. no need to build the right, just left. plus you get better foot, eye, hand cornation
i can drive stick, the first car i learned on was a stick, yes they are funner, its my dd and i dont really care, i'll go get a new e30 with a 5spd and turn into a drift car.

19psi turbo M20
Old 07-21-2008, 11:24 PM
livin large

Quote:
i can drive stick, the first car i learned on was a stick, yes they are funner, its my dd and i dont really care, i'll go get a new e30 with a 5spd and turn into a drift car.
for how young you are, i like your thinking
Old 07-22-2008, 09:24 AM

heres something i was wondering, I've heard alot of people say they drift, but what constitutes being a drifter? does powersliding an open-diff, stock 240sx in your neighborhood count as drifting, or are we talking tire melting, wall hitting madness?

The reason I'm asking is because I've had this conversation a few times in parking lots:

some kid- damn yo, you drift that ****?
me- nah, she's my baby, i just sort of work on her...autocross whenever i can
sk - i don't know what that is, but my friend, he's a drifter. you should start.

I just always wonder where the friend who is a drifter does his drifting. Sorry for the off topic post, but I've been thinking about this alot recently.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: getting a e30 3 series
hi, does anyone know the 0-60 times of a e30 320i ? because i am looking to buy one and i just wanted to know.
many thanks