Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Question power antenna for Z4M C???

Although my car is waiting for a train to Southern California, I've been looking at a few things I'd like to order when the car arrives. One of which is a car cover, probably one of the heavier Kimberly Clark versions. The only issue I see is the dreaded antenna hole, so I thought, instead of unscrewing the thing every time, I wanted to know if it was possible, or if anyone has done a power antenna modification. I've never done something like that myself, but with a car cover coming on and off (while at work), it would be really convenient to have an option like that.

Thanks in advance for any information.
Ads by Google
Old 08-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 M5; 97 M3
Most people just buy the stubby antenna's that are like an inch high off of e-bay. search stubby antenna, and you'll find links to some of the stores. A short antenna should make make car cover on/off a non-event.

I've never heard of a power antenna option, and it would be a lot of effort to get something rigged up.

"Control, Vision, Determination" These are the three fundamental components of the new generation race car driver!! SPEED is a by-product! -Memphis Raines
Old 08-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Thanks for the reply, I haven't found anything in the way of power antennas, but did find some retractable stubby type antennas, so I may go with that. I don't want any less radio reception. I found a 4" at Bimmian as well, that may work if it has good reception.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: 03 M5; 97 M3
My 1 inch statement was a little exaggerated. The 4 inch one is what people are getting. Most people say there is little to no signal lose. I haven't used my FM radio ever (and I don't have the stubby), so ratio reception isn't an issue for me.

"Control, Vision, Determination" These are the three fundamental components of the new generation race car driver!! SPEED is a by-product! -Memphis Raines
Old 08-10-2008, 08:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to dwm Send a message via Yahoo to dwm
Mein Auto: 2002 M roadster
The issue is whether or not there's room for it. If there is, it's easy. If there isn't, it's not doable without placing it somewhere else. On the Z3, there isn't room under the fender for a power antenna. I have no idea for the Z4 but I suspect it doesn't have room. Minimum is about 8.5" for one with a remote motor, and about 13" for one with a direct motor.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Bad Lieutenant

I saw a few extractable short antennas, but I figure that's just begging for someone to come by, extend it and bust it ... I think I'll order the 4" from bimmian as soon as I hear the car is on a train.