Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 540i6
glycerin? Carbaflo?-VCG

I'm doing my valve cover gasket this week and I'm stump of what product to coat my gaskets?
Old 08-17-2008, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: .
I didn't use anything on mine. The idea of the glycerin is just to make them slippery so they will go into the groves of the valve covers easier. But I had no problem putting them on dry. Just make sure the valve cover sealing surfaces and grooves are clean.

PS: You still need to put RTV at the half moon shapes at the back of the head and where the timing cover meets the valve cover. Don't confuse the RTV with the glycerin. I hope I didn't cofuse you more.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan M View Post
I didn't use anything on mine. The idea of the glycerin is just to make them slippery so they will go into the groves of the valve covers easier. But I had no problem putting them on dry. Just make sure the valve cover sealing surfaces and grooves are clean.

PS: You still need to put RTV at the half moon shapes at the back of the head and where the timing cover meets the valve cover. Don't confuse the RTV with the glycerin. I hope I didn't cofuse you more.

Thanks, I defiantly got the RTV down, I just got confuse about the Glycerin, since this product is sold in a drug store and not in an auto part store. I been reading all the DIY ride ups, and they used this product. I also read that BMW discontinued Gummi Pfledge(Glycerin), and went with Carbaflo, their must be a reason for that:dunno.

I think I found were to buy Glycerin I just don't want to have any issues. If I don't find Glycerin what other options are there?

Last edited by acerocks415; 08-17-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerocks415 View Post
Thanks, I defiantly got the RTV down, I just got confuse about the Glycerin, since this product is sold in a drug store and not in an auto part store. I been reading all the DIY ride ups, and they used this product. I also read that BMW discontinued Gummi Pfledge(Glycerin), and went with Carbaflo, their must be a reason for that:dunno.

I think I found were to buy Glycerin I just don't want to have any issues. If I don't find Glycerin what other options are there?
I think you can still get glycerin at the drug store, but I haven't looked for that stuff in ages, so don't quote me on it. But, I have heard that people have used Neutrogena facial soap (the bar, not the liquid) which has a high concentration of glycerin and they said it worked great. Just mix it with some water to build a lather and run the gaskets through your hands to coat them. (And before you ask, no, I'm not joking)
Old 08-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:

PS: You still need to put RTV at the half moon shapes at the back of the head and where the timing cover meets the valve cover. Don't confuse the RTV with the glycerin. I hope I didn't confuse you more.
I will second that. I just did mine about 3 weeks ago and did not have any need to use anything. The gasket goes in very easily.

mw
Old 08-17-2008, 09:37 PM

Thanks might just go dry, now that I got the 411 I'm ready to tackle my DIY
Old 08-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
I searched 2 chain drug stores and a large supermarket. CVS, Rite Aid and Pathmark. Not had them. In the end, I bought a bottle off Ebay for a few bucks.

One seller

Although that is not the seller I bought from. Glycerin is Glycerin. It's a derivative of vegetable oils. Used in cake icing, soaps, moisturizers, personal lubricants-just to name a few.

Save your gas and just let it get delivered to you

Last edited by dvsgene; 08-17-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:54 AM

Mein Auto: M5
you put NOTHING on the gasket, just make sure gasket and head surfaces are clean and free of oil. use permatex #2 for the half moon, and the front spots.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Carba flo and glycerin are used on the door gaskets, have not heard of it used anywhere else on an E39.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Psychology Reversalist

This article here have lots of information to help you choose the right one about lubricants

mw
Old 08-18-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
This article here have lots of information to help you choose the right one about lubricants

mw
Thanks, now I know I got lube all around me. LOL
Old 08-18-2008, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: '87 635csi, '01 540i/6
at the shop we use victor reinz products. they make a black silicone gasket maker that we use on the half moon shapes of the gasket. no other lubricant is needed. the gasket will fit in the grooves once you tighten the bolts on the cover.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Thanks, now I know I got lube all around me. LOL

mw
Old 12-31-2011, 08:38 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
I also read that BMW discontinued Gummi Pfledge(Glycerin), and went with Carbaflo, their must be a reason for that
I came to this old thread trying to help 540Indiana out with his upcoming V8 VCG DIY:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > Doing VCG tomorrow

But, I'm curious about organic chemicals ... so ...

Am I correct in inferring that this thread intimates BMW used to sell something called Gummi Pfledge to lubricate the VCG, and now they sell Carbaflo, both of which are primarily glycerin?

Quote:
I think you can still get glycerin at the drug store, but I haven't looked for that stuff in ages
I just bought a 4 ounce bottle of glycerin at the pharmacy section of a local Target department store.
- How to make your own smoke machine (1)

Note: I was really looking for glycerol or a glycol for the smoke machine I am making - but the point is that you can get glycerin at a pharmacy if you need it for the VCG.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:52 PM

For the crosslinked record, since this is the canonical thread on the VCG gasket RTV, this was posted today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by idjit View Post
Two questions, really....

(1) I've seem many articles on valve cover replacement. They all mention RTV sealant, but when I research RTV I see many types. The only one I saw mentioned was Ultra Copper (sensor safe), which I happen to have an unopened tube of, but it's "gasket maker" not a sealant. Looking for opinions....

(2) So, until my vanos seals (Beisan) and some warmer weather arrive, I'd like to temporarily seal my leaky head gasket. It's right at the front over the vanos. What sealant could I mush into there as a short term repair that would clean up easily later on? I was thinking maybe a general purpose clear high temp silicone. Do I have to worry about sensor safe in that area? I'm trying to avoid doing two valve cover gasket jobs. I'd wait but it's spilling oil all over my lower rad hose and I'm sure that's going to weaken it.

Thanks -Bob
See also:
- How to replace the E39 V8 valve cover gasket (1) (pdf) (2) (3) & VCG DIYs for the E39 I6 (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & which VCG brand to buy (1) (2) & what VCG lubricants to use (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 04-22-2014, 08:51 PM

See also this thread, posted today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Valve Cover Mounting... Gasket AND Sealant?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Republic View Post
Been through several DIY videos and I'm getting seeing varying opinions on this.

When replacing the valve cover, you obviously have the gasket that sits in the plastic cover, but are you supposed to also put a bead of sealant all the way around the engine block where the valve cover goes back on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image066.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	435241  
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need