Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to TybLee
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 3.0i
I had experienced similar Problem

I had experience the similar problem with my 2006 X5. I did took it to the local dealer and they have run some diagnostic and then told me nothing wrong.

I still notice the Car is not accerlerate like when I first got it. Does any one experience this kind of problem with a 2006 model?
Old 08-19-2008, 10:25 PM
I'm on a Highway to Hell

Mein Auto: E46 M, LC, FLHR, E70 4.8
I'm having the same problem with my April 2008 Build E70 4.8i.

From a dead stop it stutters, hiccoughs and then surges. It is nearly impossible to modulate the throttle from a stop with out jerking my passenger's heads back and forth. Although, unlike some of the other posters, once it gets going, I don't find it is slugish.

I mentioned it to my SA last time I was at the shop and he said that's just the way the X5 drives. You can guess my response, since this is a $72K SUV that is more difficult accelerate smoothly in than my M3.

I wish we all could collaborate to convince BMW this problem is real.

Supercharged Mach 5
The Original M5
Old 08-20-2008, 03:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
That's funny... I thought 4.8i has enough power to be started in 2nd gear without being sluggish. Have you tried to start in 1st gear?
Old 08-20-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm on a Highway to Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoque View Post
That's funny... I thought 4.8i has enough power to be started in 2nd gear without being sluggish. Have you tried to start in 1st gear?
If this was a response to my post, I did not say mine was "sluggish". I said it "stutters, hiccoughs and then surges".

And when it surges, there is nothing sluggish about it.

Supercharged Mach 5
The Original M5
Old 08-20-2008, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedR View Post
If this was a response to my post, I did not say mine was "sluggish". I said it "stutters, hiccoughs and then surges".

And when it surges, there is nothing sluggish about it.
Oh, ok. I must've read it wrong.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm on a Highway to Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoque View Post
Oh, ok. I must've read it wrong.
No problem. I used AussieLOU's words to discribe the problem since his best articulated the issue. I believe he also has a 4.8i.

I'm scheduling a appt. to bring my X to the shop for this, along with other problems, but I'm sure I'll just get the famous "could not duplicate".

Supercharged Mach 5
The Original M5
Old 08-21-2008, 12:37 AM

Mein Auto: bmw x5 4.6is
HI i have a 2003 4.6is, i feel if i drive the car hard , power is alwayd there soon as i drive normall it takes time to respond for the power to kick in , i do believe the car responds to the way i drive.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 3.0SI 2008
X5 2008 accelaration hesitation

well I have the same problem and even worse yesterday I was parked in hill and I wanted to drive back up the hill the pedal was not responding and I had to push down the pedal till the end.

the BMW dealer in Lebanon is aware about this problem and he told me that it's nomral inthe new body X5, which I couldnt beleive it and should be a real software problem, and I'm amazed how a serious company like BMW is not giving this issue a big importance.

hope that the BMW's engineers will find a solution for this serious problem.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bochas View Post
well I have the same problem and even worse yesterday I was parked in hill and I wanted to drive back up the hill the pedal was not responding and I had to push down the pedal till the end.

the BMW dealer in Lebanon is aware about this problem and he told me that it's nomral inthe new body X5, which I couldnt beleive it and should be a real software problem, and I'm amazed how a serious company like BMW is not giving this issue a big importance.

hope that the BMW's engineers will find a solution for this serious problem.
I had the software update done on ours, it no longer exhibits this behavior. Talk to the service manager, there is a fix for this.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
I think the X5s are having the same issue as X3s of same model year. There is a sticky in X3 forum for the "hesitation" you guys here experience. A temporary fix (on X3) has been to put the key in position 2 (do not start the car) press the gas pedal all the way down and keep it there for 40 seconds. This puts the transmission in learning mode again and the car behaves good for few days/weeks. Unfortunately its just temporary. The permanent-in-some-cases fix has been a s/w update. This too does not work in all cases. Good luck.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 12-11-2009, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: X5.4.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpate View Post
So yesterday i woke up very early. Took my BMW 2007 X5 to dealer since it hesitates on the acceleration. Got the X5 3 months ago, all was good until last month noticed a little delay when pushing the acceleration pedal. Also now my X5 is not quick, going up hills is very slow, picking up a highway is difficult.

My pedal just feel heavy. I mean if i really slam the acceleration it moves, but theres a 2 second delay. When im at the traffic lights, im the last one to get going, even cheaper cars pick speed quicker then i do.

First the dealer wouldnt belive me there was a problem. He just said thats how x5s behave. I just want my X5 to behanve the way it did on the first day i brought it. So i got one of the engineers to ride with me. He said he will do the tests and everything.

Left the car with the dealer all day.

Got a call from the dealer telling me the car was ready.

Picked it up in the evening.....

And they did NOTHING! !!!!!!! Just told me they did all the tests and could not find anything wrong with it. Thats bull****. Told me had all the last software.

He said i can speak to a BMW engineer that is going to come to the dealer and explain my problem.

Heres what the problem is.

1. Same as everybody elses
2. Off the line....it hesitates
3. The car is not qucik then before
4. Going up the hill is sluggish
5. When i push the pedal, the response is slow, and the speed increases slowly
6. To overtake a car in the faster lane would be tough.
7. Im having to work with the car harder to move it
8. At 80mph........it feels like its taking forever to getup to 90

Dealer told me car adapts to your driving habbits...thats bull****.....No car adapts unless it has aritificial intelligence built it.

I mean if my cousin was to drive the car....he would just think of the hestiation in acceleration as the x5 being just slow..... but i know how my car felt 2 months ago....acelleration was GREAT!!!!, moved and felt just like a car....

and NOW...... the it just feels heavy on the pedal. They did reset the modules. I guess it made a little improvement. But NO WAY NEAR the kind of car i had when i first purchased it.

I will keep everybody updated on my next meeting with the BMW engineer.

I suspect its the same problem seen on the x3.

Im sure nothing is going to be done about it unless there is a large group of consumers complaing.

Im intrested....how many others have this issue...is it just for only 2007 x5. only on 3.0si X5 (which i have) or also on the 4.8si.

I have experience with you. The dealer gave the same answer ( your car work fine just like this) which is fxxcking BS. I scare to past the car now take one second to get reaction from my X5 4.8, totally BS, please if you have some info. or contact I can call to make the compain. Thanks!
Old 12-12-2009, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
vovo, take it to another BMW dealer's service center and get a second opinion. You might want to print out the post that best shows what is happening to your car so there will be no communications problem. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.8i
X5 acceleration prob

I have an 08 X5 4.8i with the same acceleration problem. I've had it in for service twice and no luck. I'm bringing it back one more time and when they can't fix the '"problem" I'm going to lemon law the car. I have a friend who did it a few months ago and BMW reimbursed him all the money he put for a down payment and tires, etc.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:56 PM

Mein Auto: 750i
have same issue with 750. it's the change over from wire to throttle. now BMW uses computer to throttle. Takes the computer about 2 seconds to catch up from the time you push the gas pedal to react. Had service tech drive car with me. Acknowledged the problem but said there is no fix for it. Asked about aftermarket module and was told if I installed it, would invalidate warranty. So, nothing for fix. Sent a message to BMW America about this problem about 2 weeks ago. Stated this might be a safety issue and like Toyota, maybe good idea to get it fix since it seems to involve quite a bit of vehicles. Who knows. Already reset my computer so the car would get used to my driving the vehicle. Sorry, that doesn't work either.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0Si
Angry Mad about my X3

I am having the same problem with my x3[/B][/B]OTE=chirpate;2844674]So yesterday i woke up very early. Took my BMW 2007 X5 to dealer since it hesitates on the acceleration. Got the X5 3 months ago, all was good until last month noticed a little delay when pushing the acceleration pedal. Also now my X5 is not quick, going up hills is very slow, picking up a highway is difficult.

My pedal just feel heavy. I mean if i really slam the acceleration it moves, but theres a 2 second delay. When im at the traffic lights, im the last one to get going, even cheaper cars pick speed quicker then i do.

First the dealer wouldnt belive me there was a problem. He just said thats how x5s behave. I just want my X5 to behanve the way it did on the first day i brought it. So i got one of the engineers to ride with me. He said he will do the tests and everything.

And they did NOTHING! !!!!!!! Just told me they did all the tests and could not find anything wrong with it. Thats bull****. Told me had all the last software.

He said i can speak to a BMW engineer that is going to come to the dealer and explain my problem.

Dealer told me car adapts to your driving habbits...thats bull****.....No car adapts unless it has aritificial intelligence built it.

I mean if my cousin was to drive the car....he would just think of the hestiation in acceleration as the x5 being just slow..... but i know how my car felt 2 months ago....acelleration was GREAT!!!!, moved and felt just like a car....

and NOW...... the it just feels heavy on the pedal. They did reset the modules. I guess it made a little improvement. But NO WAY NEAR the kind of car i had when i first purchased it.

Im sure nothing is going to be done about it unless there is a large group of consumers complaing.

Im intrested....how many others have this issue...is it just for only 2007 x5. only on 3.0si X5 (which i have) or also on the 4.8si.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-12-2013, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35i sport activity
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpate View Post
So yesterday i woke up very early. Took my BMW 2007 X5 to dealer since it hesitates on the acceleration. Got the X5 3 months ago, all was good until last month noticed a little delay when pushing the acceleration pedal. Also now my X5 is not quick, going up hills is very slow, picking up a highway is difficult.

Im intrested....how many others have this issue...is it just for only 2007 x5. only on 3.0si X5 (which i have) or also on the 4.8si.
I"m having the same issues with my 2013 x5 35i and I have 10,300 on it
Old 07-12-2013, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35i sport activity
I'm having the same issues with my 2013 X5 35i sport and I have only 10,300 miles on it.