Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-24-2008, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Crap! Long starts have begun--06/08 Build

Well this sucks big time I've only had my car for 2 months and 2K miles and just started getting the longs starts (2 today). I'm guessing it's the HPFP, I'll take it in for the break in oil change and have it checked out. Looks like this issue is STILL not resolved, plus I'm stationed in Germany using German gas

This is very dissapointing, how can a company like BMW not be able to fix this problem. I'm not in favor of frivalous lawsuits but this might be one case that deserves an execption. They continue to sell a product they know is defective, not what I expect from this compay.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i convertible
Maybe they should change their name to Bummer instead of Bimmer..... I have an 06/08 build and will watch mine for similar problems. Suffice it to say, I will not be keeping this car beyond the factory warranty. With the high heat motor and problems with the hpfp I don't think this is a long term problem free vehicle.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn7 View Post
Well this sucks big time I've only had my car for 2 months and 2K miles and just started getting the longs starts (2 today). I'm guessing it's the HPFP, I'll take it in for the break in oil change and have it checked out. Looks like this issue is STILL not resolved, plus I'm stationed in Germany using German gas

This is very dissapointing, how can a company like BMW not be able to fix this problem. I'm not in favor of frivalous lawsuits but this might be one case that deserves an execption. They continue to sell a product they know is defective, not what I expect from this compay.
As one who also has a HPFP (2/08 build), you can imagine I have an interest in this issue. I am approaching the 2K mile point (haven't been putting the miles on the car due to top fluttering and brake vacuum issues that just got resolved last week), so I am starting to get paranoid about the possibility of fuel pump issues on top of the fluttering and brake vacuum issues I have already experienced. Can you share any data on how you operated the car leading up to the long cranks? What was the lowest you let the fuel level get before filling up again (on the theory that fuel level is somehow related to pump failure; which may or may not be causative)?
Old 08-24-2008, 12:13 PM

It's possible the long starts are something else but I think that is wishful thinking. I was planning on keeping this car 8+ years so I gues I can hope they eventually redesign the HPFP
Old 08-24-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2artist View Post
With the high heat motor and problems with the hpfp I don't think this is a long term problem free vehicle.
I am trying to keep an open mind on the long-term problem free vehicle concept. It definitely has not been problem free in the short-term. My 2006 M3 was flawless; my E93 has not been.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
As one who also has a HPFP (2/08 build), you can imagine I have an interest in this issue. I am approaching the 2K mile point (haven't been putting the miles on the car due to top fluttering and brake vacuum issues that just got resolved last week), so I am starting to get paranoid about the possibility of fuel pump issues on top of the fluttering and brake vacuum issues I have already experienced. Can you share any data on how you operated the car leading up to the long cranks? What was the lowest you let the fuel level get before filling up again (on the theory that fuel level is somehow related to pump failure; which may or may not be causative)?
I usually fill up at half a tank, conducted the break in by the book, otherwise operating normally, I think once or twice the fuel level got low.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn7 View Post
I usually fill up at half a tank, conducted the break in by the book, otherwise operating normally, I think once or twice the fuel level got low.
I have basically been following the same operating model (fill up at the 1/2 tank point, break-in by the book). When your tank ran low, how low was low?
Old 08-24-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I have basically been following the same operating model (fill up at the 1/2 tank point, break-in by the book). When your tank ran low, how low was low?
I think once about a month ago, the fuel light went on, otherwise a couple of times maybe 1/4 tank. Latley it's been at the 1/2 tank point.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i convertible
Quote:
I have e93 also, what does the fluttering sound like? Is is really loud or just background noise?
Old 08-24-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2artist View Post
I have e93 also, what does the fluttering sound like? Is is really loud or just background noise?
The analogy to the E93s fluttering is what you would observe in a sedan with one of the rear windows open and the rest closed. The variable on the cars that have the fluttering is the magnitude of the fluttering. Some have it so bad that even after completion of the SIB for the fluttering, it is still objectionable. To see if you have the fluttering, drive your car with top up and windows closed at 60 mph (60 is the sweet spot; it starts at around 55 and continues until around 65). If you have the fluttering issue, you will definitely know it.