Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Mein Auto: '13 F10 550i; '11 R1200GS
Weird smell and Service Engine Soon light

So here we are on a road trip...about an hour north of Beaver, UT (kid you not) and we stop at a rest stop. While standing outside the car, we smell this terrible acrid stank coming from the Honda CRV next to us and we sort of chuckle that the poor ole Honda is going to die on the highway soon. In hindsight, I should have remembered...Hondas don't break.

We take off heading towards Colorado on I-70. About 2 hours later at another rest stop...yes we pee a lot!, we are out of the car and damned if we don't smell that same acrid ass smell again...we both look around for the CRV to see if it has pulled up, but can't find it and damn if it doesn't smell like its coming from my 335 this time...we're all over the car with our noses..under the hood at the exhaust pipe...on the ground looking underneath, etc...as near as I can tell it was coming from directly below the front seats in the car...perhaps in the area of the Cats. No plastic bags stuck under the car and no warning lights on. I check oil on iDrive and it's fine. We shrug and proceed on our way into the boonies of Utah, on our way to Colorado mountain biking nirvana

So, after getting back on the highway, car runs fine and all of a sudden, bam...SERVICE ENGINE SOON light pops up...oh crap. I seem to recall the SES light is the newer generation of the old CEL light which usually meant some emission sensor or other was busted and not that your car was going to die. For grins, we press SOS button to see if BMW can read the code remotely. Twana tells me no such luck and that I should take it to the dealer. I ask Twana if she's been to Beaver, UT and that I don't think they have a dealer. She says she'll check and kindly informs me that Denver is my closest dealer...only about 9 hours drive away. Or we could retrace our path back to Vegas, about 5 hours in the wrong direction or Salt Lake City...about 4 hours also in the wrong direction....bah, I'm starting to realize why I hadn't seen a bimmer on the road in many hours...this is not bimmer friendly territory. I'm starting to envision my 335 on a flatbed with the mountain bikes on the roof and my buddy and I sitting in the tow truck cab with billy bob. Not a good way to start my first day of vacation. We were supposed to be in Colorado mountain biking the next day! My buddy says, well worst case if the car dies, we can ride the bikes.

Numerous phone calls to a BMW tech buddy and text messaging with bimmer buddies, we decide to keep on going. I find that Autozone will read codes for free. So next morning we stop at an Autozone and get the Code: P1447 Leak detection module pump circuit malfunction: Failed Leak detection pump. One more call to BMW tech buddy and he confirms that yes, ok to drive the car and the emissions leak pump could have indeed caused the acrid smell. Ah relief...feel much better...onward with the vacation!

SES light remains on for the whole trip, but car runs great. What a hoot in the mountains...the turbos give it so much power...amazing.

So, I get home and the next morning get in my car and guess what!!!! SES light is gone! hahaha. Unreal...so do I bring it to the dealer to hear them say...cannot replicate come back when light is on? Or do I just forget the whole nightmare? By the way, UT Highway Patrol drives unmarked Mustangs with racing stripes! We saw them on the side the road chasing down a loose cow

Last edited by TGray5; 08-20-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 08-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
What's the whole deal about BMW's Trip Interuption Benefits...? Don't they pay for your hotel night?

Glad you make it out (and back) in one piece. How do the bikes affect your fuel economy?

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 08-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
What's the whole deal about BMW's Trip Interuption Benefits...? Don't they pay for your hotel night?

Glad you make it out (and back) in one piece. How do the bikes affect your fuel economy?

- Mike
I think there is some reimbursement provision if you have to stay over....a small consolation I guess.

My experience with other cars is that 2 bikes on the roof takes about 6mpg and that was about our experience. Car was pretty loaded down with 8 days worth of gear and the bikes and running at about 21mpg average until we hit strong head winds from UT border to California on the way home, so computer average dropped to 20.1 mpg for the trip. There was a lot of mountain driving in there though.

In one 18 hour period, we went from frozen sleet on our roof in Crested Butte, CO to 109F in the desert!
Old 08-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Corner Carving Addict

Mein Auto: 09 - 335i E92
Sounds fun...

Nice bikes.
09 - 335i E92 / Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Dark Burl / Step / Comfort Access / Rear Sunshade / Heated Seats / PDC / iDrive / Sat. Radio / iPod & USB / Prem Pkg / Sport Pkg / OEM Alarm / Ventus V12 (Non-RFT) / V1 and other goodies...
Old 08-20-2008, 07:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E93-35 May08 ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGray5 View Post
So, I get home and the next morning get in my car and guess what!!!! SES light is gone! hahaha. Unreal...so do I bring it to the dealer to hear them say...cannot replicate come back when light is on? Or do I just forget the whole nightmare?
LMAO, exact same story as me. My SES was on for 13-days. I put about 1200 miles on it since it came on. I had an appt for this past Monday and the SES went off by itself on the Friday before. After the SES went off, the car did seem to be driving/idling better.

I had an appt for my paint defect anyways, so I took it in and asked them to check it out. I haven't heard back yet as I think they took it to the Body Shop first.
E93-35 ED 5/2/08 completed 16:20.
Montego/Jade Gray, Gray Poplar trim, Step w/Paddles, PP, SP, CA, Heated Seats & iPod. 24-mth lease with 19,250 mi/yr. Re-delivery 6/20/08 (1st day of summer); 7-wks total.
[/SIZE]

De-badged 330xi/Mystic Blue/Gray Leather/Alumin. trim/Auto/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seat/alarm. ED date 11/14/05 and redelivery completed 1/14/06. Sold to Carmax 6/7/08 w/ 50,650 miles on the clock
Old 08-20-2008, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif65GM View Post
LMAO, exact same story as me. My SES was on for 13-days. I put about 1200 miles on it since it came on. I had an appt for this past Monday and the SES went off by itself on the Friday before. After the SES went off, the car did seem to be driving/idling better.

I had an appt for my paint defect anyways, so I took it in and asked them to check it out. I haven't heard back yet as I think they took it to the Body Shop first.
Ya that is funny...sad though. Let me know if they can address the issue without the light being on or if they blow you off. Don't want to waste my time at the dealer if I don't have to.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: E93-35 May08 ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGray5 View Post
Ya that is funny...sad though. Let me know if they can address the issue without the light being on or if they blow you off. Don't want to waste my time at the dealer if I don't have to.
OK will do. My car didn't have any smell though, so it was probably something else.
E93-35 ED 5/2/08 completed 16:20.
Montego/Jade Gray, Gray Poplar trim, Step w/Paddles, PP, SP, CA, Heated Seats & iPod. 24-mth lease with 19,250 mi/yr. Re-delivery 6/20/08 (1st day of summer); 7-wks total.
[/SIZE]

De-badged 330xi/Mystic Blue/Gray Leather/Alumin. trim/Auto/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seat/alarm. ED date 11/14/05 and redelivery completed 1/14/06. Sold to Carmax 6/7/08 w/ 50,650 miles on the clock
Old 08-24-2008, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M235i; 94 Mx5 R Pkg.
I bet it is a bad O2 sensor. But nevertheless, the only way to find out what it really is will be to take it in for service. You should be fine driving it unless RED warning lights come on!!!
ED#4: 3/17/14

2011 335i 6 SPD M-Sport CWP CA HK ETTE Laguna Blue
ED#3: 8/15/11

2011 X3 3.5 HK CWP
PCD#1: 2/11/11

2008 535Xit Slush Box Prem Sport HK CWP CA Monaco Blue
ED#2: 2/16/08

http://picasaweb.google.com/Rich8566...ueFebruary2008

2007 335i 6 SPD Sport CWP HK CA ETTE Montego Blue
ED#1: 7/31/07

http://picasaweb.google.com/Rich8566/335iEDAugust2007
Old 08-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
I bet it is a bad O2 sensor. But nevertheless, the only way to find out what it really is will be to take it in for service. You should be fine driving it unless RED warning lights come on!!!
That's what I thought, but the code reader said otherwise. Light is off and I'm not going to waste my time taking it to the dealer.