Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-24-2008, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 08 328i
Wtf...

Ok time to vent a little here. So I just picked up my new 08 328i last week. Obviously I love this thing. Before that I was driving a 02 VW 1.8t. I never had any problems with people on the road being jerks other than the run of the mill stuff you see every day. So it's late last night, about 2 am. I'm coming home from my girlfriends place at the university (USF). I pull up to a stop light and i'm looking through my ipod with the Idrive (love it) and some guy and his buddy pull up on my left in their late 90's explorer. I dont notice them untill the passanger rolls down his window and says hey. I look over and notice how glazed over this guys eyes are so i ignore him and go back to my business. Next thing I know I hear something hit the side of my car. The SOB threw a penny at the side of my car and bolted right thru the stop light. WTF!!! I litterally did nothing to this guy. Obviously I didnt run the light or go after the guy. Not that I didnt want to, let me tell you. I pulled into a gas station to check for any damage. There was none thank god. But what the hell is wrong with people? I've lived in tampa for the majority of my life. Like most cities it has it's share of jerks but I still cant believe that some one would do that. I know i personally couldn't. You just don't mess with another mans car... Oh well I guess. Just glad I waxed it earlier yesterday.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:35 AM
Professional Beer Drinker

Mein Auto: 08 328 and 03 325Ci
Jealousy and drunkenness are an ugly combination. Also BMW drivers get a bad rap from the arrogant or just plain idiotic who drive. Since BMW's stand out from Ford Taurus' of the world, the association is easier to make with BMW owners. Just google BMW drivers and you'll see a few pages that illustrate this point...
Old 08-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
You have a car that says to many people, "That's right, I'm cool," so you will now attract a variety of attention, sometimes good, sometimes bad, that you never did driving a VW.

My guess as to what happened:

In this case, the drunk guys probably just wanted some attention. Some kind of interaction to make themselves feel better.

Who knows what they originally wanted, but you did the worst thing (in his mind) to someone seeking attention: you ignored them.

So the guy threw a penny at your car to force your attention. How dare you not pay attention to them, take that! And then they drove off, because that was really stupid.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2009 435i Luxury Coupe
they should make undercover cop cars bmws. youd catch alot of bad apples and mangos.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 X5 325I
Florida is number 1 in country for road rage. Be careful out there.

2011 X5 Premium
2010 328i Hard top convertible
2007 Z4
2007 X5
2003 325
2003 X5
Old 08-24-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicsX5 View Post
Florida is number 1 in country for road rage. Be careful out there.
That's interesting considering Florida is one of the few states that allows concealed carry. I thought an armed society is a polite society.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adumbration View Post
That's interesting considering Florida is one of the few states that allows concealed carry. I thought an armed society is a polite society.
Few? Haha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concealed_carry

There are only two states in the entire country where concealed carry is 100% illegal: Wisconsin and Illinois. Out of the rest, 37 cannot deny a permit application to someone on arbitrary grounds (they must have a reason, such as felony conviction, history of mental illness, etc.). The other 9 can issue concealed carry permits with arbitrary discretion. Two states - Vermont and Alaska - allow non-felon concealed carry without any permit whatsoever.

So while we're on the topic of gun control, would you feel less safe in Vermont and Alaska knowing that anyone you meet could be packing heat? Probably not.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestlaxer View Post
they should make undercover cop cars bmws. youd catch alot of bad apples and mangos.
That's a neat idea. Most "undercover" patrol cars are not particularly undercover. I can usually spot them miles away.

WA state police sometimes use a Dodge Intrepid, which mixes things up a bit.

Hands down, the best undercover patrol car I've ever seen was in NY city. It was Ford Crown Vic yellow taxi cab with rates on the door, the roof thing, etc., but made back into a police car with a siren, flashing high beams, dash lights, and hidden lights around the car that flashed (same area as the turn signals, but flashed very brightly).

Luckily, I was driving normally and he was pulling over someone else. I was driving right next to him and I had no idea he was a cop until the light show started.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adumbration View Post
That's a neat idea. Most "undercover" patrol cars are not particularly undercover. I can usually spot them miles away.
Several years ago in Cave Spring, VA, the local cops had an undercover Lexus sedan. It was seized as part of a drug bust or something else, and rather than auctioning it they kept it. Cave Spring is a relatively wealthy area, so the Lexus fit right in there.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 08 328i
Yep road rage in FL is a little over the top. Every night on the news someone has found a new and creative way of taking their anger out on the highways. And as for the undercover cars go, tampa has everything from Avalanche trucks and Lincolin LS's to a Porsche TT and a Dodge Viper all siezed from drug dealers during their runs up through the state on I75. Red and Blues and hidden in the head and tail lights. Sneaky Sneaky... I guess we get a little bit of everything down here.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maande10 View Post
Looks like my info on what states allow concealed carry are out-of-date. The animated map on the wiki page you reference is really great.

Quote:
So while we're on the topic of gun control, would you feel less safe in Vermont and Alaska knowing that anyone you meet could be packing heat?
Depends if I have a gun
Old 08-24-2008, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: 08 650i, 07 530i, 06 330i
I would have called 911 and said some dude in car with Tag XYZ-123 just threw something at me and drove off at a light. You could have said, "yeah, I think I'm okay but I'm not sure." You would have been telling the truth!

It might have an effect if he gets pulled over for something else. I would have been enraged but you can't do much about it. If there was damage to the car, that would have been a different story.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: '10 VW GTI
Actually - SC has several M5's (or they did when I lived there). So, silver ones should be treated as such until you get a very good look at the driver (SC Troopers love their Stetsons), no laptop mounted up front, strobes & led light bars concealed, etc. Also, back a few years ago Z28's and 'Vettes were also favorites.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: Soon to be '09 335
Some poor town in upstate NY was pulling people over with a Taurus Stationwagon.....Hawt.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: M35
Oh man sorry to hear that and im glad your car is not damaged, Its a hater move what these douch bags have done and its full of em all over the country people that hate to see you driving a nice car. speaking of under cover i saw H2 pulling over soome one here unmarked and no plates nothing but led lights under the grill and in beverly hills ive seen a ML mercedes which is marked thhough, dodge charger RT,camaros too.
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SOLD
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD