Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i
Horror Story on steroids!

Four Monthes ago or so I joined Bimmerfest after purchasing my 2006 325i. Here it is 4 monthes later and I am still driving around on a temporary tag. I know that is insane! I will make this short but I thought you guys ( and girls :-) would like this. I purchased the car from a dealer in Buckhead, GA. A month later no title, two monthes later...no title, three monthes later I hired a lawyer and made a million phone calls to the state DMV office trying to find my title. The Dealer claims the state LOST the title but if that were the case they could easily apply for a duplicate...after a million headaches alot of phone calls and some legal advice from a loyal attorney client :-) I demanded a dealer buy back and I will be on my way with a full refund later on this morning! I have found a new 2008 328i coupe, sports, parking sensors, 6SPD, etc that I am picking up on monday and I will walk out with that title this time. Lesson learned and I hope you will get something good out of this. I will post up pics of the new baby on Monday, best wishes!

2008 e92 M3

Last edited by shanepreston; 08-22-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 08-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Nerd

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Coupe
Well...I got my car 3 weeks ago and am still waiting for the tag and title. I've been told that here in California, it usually takes 4-5weeks for it come through but its been known to take as long as 3-5 months before.
Any locals with time frames?
Internal:M3 Tri-stitched Steering wheel/OEM Aluminum Pedal and Footrest
External: Black Matte Grills/MSport Front Bumper with sidemarker delete/OEM Aero Rear Bumper/OEM Aero Spoiler/LuxH8 LED Angel Eyes V3
Old 08-23-2008, 12:18 AM

Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Why is it that registering a car takes so long in some US states?

Here in Alberta, Canada, it is a painless exercise - my BMW dealer just needs a confirmation of insurance for the new car, they will then make sure the plate and stickers are obtained from the registry office and installed on the car before it is picked up. They normally need an hour or so notice to perform this service (there are registry offices that the government licences open 7 days a week), providing the buyer with the completed registration document that just needs one signature to complete.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:29 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
In Massachusetts most things are so much harder, but your vehicle reg happens when you buy the vehicle - the dealers can do it on the spot!
Old 08-23-2008, 04:52 AM
Turbo Addict

Mein Auto: '14 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
In Massachusetts most things are so much harder, but your vehicle reg happens when you buy the vehicle - the dealers can do it on the spot!
Same in NY - you pick it up registered with plates. It takes a few weeks to get the permanent registration sticker and copy of title from the DMV though.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:23 AM

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanepreston View Post
Four Monthes ago or so I joined Bimmerfest after purchasing my 2006 325i. Here it is 4 monthes later and I am still driving around on a temporary tag. I know that is insane! I will make this short but I thought you guys ( and girls :-) would like this. I purchased the car from a dealer in Buckhead, GA. A month later no title, two monthes later...no title, three monthes later I hired a lawyer and made a million phone calls to the state DMV office trying to find my title. The Dealer claims the state LOST the title but if that were the case they could easily apply for a duplicate...after a million headaches alot of phone calls and some legal advice from a loyal attorney client :-) I demanded a dealer buy back and I will be on my way with a full refund later on this morning! I have found a new 2008 328i coupe, sports, parking sensors, 6SPD, etc that I am picking up on monday and I will walk out with that title this time. Lesson learned and I hope you will get something good out of this. I will post up pics of the new baby on Monday, best wishes!
Good luck! At least you're getting a refund, and will have a 2008 on your hands now! Enjoy!
Old 08-23-2008, 07:37 AM
Airways 335

Mein Auto: BMW 335I Sedan
odd - got my tag in 2 weeks.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Happy Trails!

Mein Auto: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc View Post
No idea. In NH, you get a 20 day temp plate when you buy from a dealer (new or used car). You then go to your town/city to pay the excise tax, then either transfer the old plates or get new ones. The bigger cities have the DMV terminals and plates right there, so it is one stop. In the smaller towns (like mine), you have to go to a DMV office to complete the transfer or new plate thing. Since I live next to the state capital, it's not a biggie.

Once you have plates, you have 20 days to get the car inspected, but most new car dealers just put the sticker on when you pick up the car, so you're all set.

04 BMW 330xi 6spd w/Premium,Sport,Winter & Xenon (Sold, sniff)
02 BMW K1200RS moto
06 Pontiac GTO 6MT

RIP '99 BMW 528iT
Old 08-23-2008, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 335xi
Has the dealer offered a revised explanation? I am shocked a dealer would lose a sale due to administrative incompetence. Congrats on the new ride.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by paximperium View Post
Well...I got my car 3 weeks ago and am still waiting for the tag and title. I've been told that here in California, it usually takes 4-5weeks for it come through but its been known to take as long as 3-5 months before.
I got my plates and registration sticker on the E93 within 1 week of the sale.

I am a bit confused as to how it would take 3 - 5 months. When I purchased my MINI out of state, I got the plates and registration sticker as soon as I went to the DMV office. I had to have the car SMOG tested before going to the DMV office. At the DMV office, a DMV employee inspected the manufacturers emissions compliance plate (for CA emissions compliance) and then I was on my way with plates and registration sticker (after making a contribution to the sales tax fund). The title document came in the mail a week later.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 06 325i 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc View Post
Because California has about 30 billion people.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by paximperium View Post
4 to 5 weeks is not unusual