Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 09-01-2008, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: 1993 325is
Question Starter Relay? No crank

Hi all, new to this list and have a question. I have a 1993 325is with a January 93 build date. Last week I was driving down the freeway and I lost all power for a split second. A/C, radio, dash lights, ignition all went out momentarily then came back on. A few moments later I notice a slight ticking noise. Drove it home (about 10 minutes) and discovered the ticking noise went away as soon as I started to turn off the engine. Seems like the key never sprung back from crank mode (position 3) although I didn't hear the ticking when I started the car. As soon as I backed the key off slightly the ticking went away. So, the starter gear was bouncing off the flywheel teeth. I turned the car off and tried to start it and it wouldn't crank. Dash lights work and radio etc, come on but no crank and the lights don't even dim like power is flowing to the starter at all.

I thought my starter switch failed so I replace it ($99 from Savage BMW) but no luck. Defeated the clutch override switch by disconnecting and jumpering it, but no luck. Seems to me like I fried a relay but CANNOT FIND IT! Both Riverside and Savage BMW didn't know even if there was a starter relay. There has to be one. Anyone know where it is? What color wire I should trace to it? Any other ideas why this car is not cranking?

Thanks in advance,
1993 325is, manual transmission
Joe in Highland
Ads by Google