Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1988 BMW 325i
Semi-Unique A/C Help

hey everyone, I need y'alls help on an A/C problem.

heres the deal...In june I had my A/C system converted to r134a and the drier bottle/switches replaced while I still lived in MD. 2 years before that I had the compressor replaced, but not converted at that time. Drove the car all the way to Del Rio, TX and the A/C worked fine. Mid-august, the AC dies on me.

I charge it with leak detecting freon and it runs for 1/2 a day fine. Once it dies again I look and see alot of fluorescent around the dryer bottle, so much that it is pooled around the bottle and forms a ring on the sheetmetal around the bottle when viewed from the bottom of the car. Fluorescent is also running down the bottle, but no obvious point of origin with the leak.

What do you guys think I need to do to get this A/C running again. Hell Rio is really hot. Unbearably so.

Taking it to a shop is not an option, here in Del Rio e30s are almost unheard of, and no mechanic speaks enough english to understand what I am telling them. They also don't want to work on it to top it all off.

Oh and FYI...I think the heat coming off the turbo (which was incredible) caused this problem while driving 12-14 hrs a day across the country. I have since solved the problem by insulating the turbo and downpipe. Sorry for the long post, but wanted to give as mush info as I know.

The E30 is what all actual driving enthusiasts are after. It's an unpretentious machine, quietly capable of spectacular feats of handling. It's light, simple design is rugged enough to run against $400k rally cars, but on the street it' communicative chassis delights even the most disinterested driver. It really is one of the world's ultimate driving machines
Ads by Google
Old 09-24-2008, 05:09 PM
when will the keg end?

Mein Auto: 325ix 325ix 325ix 325ix
replace the leaking part and refill it?
Old 09-25-2008, 06:07 AM
Bum Shop Rat

Mein Auto: MKIII Jetta VR6, E30 318i
I lived in Texas for 3 years. The AC dying in mid august is like an astronaut's oxygen leaking into space.

Good luck.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:26 AM
Rather Large Member

Mein Auto: 88 325is 04&09 jetta TDi
Probably leaking fittings in the hose/s or switches on the receiver drier. Could just be loose as well since you swapped the drier. But it's hard to be sure without actually seeing it. Pics?

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson
Old age and treachery, will always overcome youth and skill.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthewaters View Post
Probably leaking fittings in the hose/s or switches on the receiver drier. Could just be loose as well since you swapped the drier. But it's hard to be sure without actually seeing it. Pics?

standby for pictures...I will take some and post tonight.

The E30 is what all actual driving enthusiasts are after. It's an unpretentious machine, quietly capable of spectacular feats of handling. It's light, simple design is rugged enough to run against $400k rally cars, but on the street it' communicative chassis delights even the most disinterested driver. It really is one of the world's ultimate driving machines
Old 09-25-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nich.j.anderson View Post
I lived in Texas for 3 years. The AC dying in mid august is like an astronaut's oxygen leaking into space.

Good luck.
Haha tru that. This, among several other factors actually prompted me to buy a daily driver. I made sure it had really cold a/c.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:47 PM

here is the picture:

dye was accumulated on the bottom of the green piece, which is the High-pressure switch.

I couldn't get the dye to show up with the camera, but all the oily stuff is freon dye, to give you an idea what i'm working with.

If you put an ear down there it sounds like rice crispies when you first put milk on them

I'm thinking I should just replace the high pressure switch and see where that takes me, but other opinions are greatly appreciated.

Finally, I checked and the switch is tight. I am almost convinced it was damaged by heat from the turbo, which is roughly one foot away and above from these components.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Old 09-26-2008, 04:06 AM
Rather Large Member

Mein Auto: 88 325is 04&09 jetta TDi
I'm inclined to agree with what I can see......try the switch first.

You have a switch? I think I've got a good one.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson
Old age and treachery, will always overcome youth and skill.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthewaters View Post
I'm inclined to agree with what I can see......try the switch first.

You have a switch? I think I've got a good one.
I don't have a switch, but i'd love to relieve you of yours...PM me with how much you want for it please...