Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 06-03-2003, 11:26 AM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Quote:
Originally posted by KU Ned

I understand your point of view and stated that I would not post headers with spoilers. Unfortunately you are too wrapped up in your schedule to try to understand my point of view. I guess we have to agree to disagree.
Perhaps you are also new to the 'Net. It has been customary for many years in mailing lists, newsgroups, etc. to always preface subjects with '*spoilers*' for this reason. Don't go imposing your thoughts on how things work into an environment that's existed the way it has for decades.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:39 AM
Jayhawk

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz
Perhaps you are also new to the 'Net. It has been customary for many years in mailing lists, newsgroups, etc. to always preface subjects with '*spoilers*' for this reason. Don't go imposing your thoughts on how things work into an environment that's existed the way it has for decades.
Now you are getting ridiculous. I have taken part in discussion groups regarding sports and other events for years. We use the discussion groups to discuss events (games, races, etc) before, during and after the event. I am not trying to impose my thoughts or actions on anyone. You are trying to tell the members of this board how and when to post. I have agreed to not post spoilers what the hell do you want from me?? My point from the beginning is that you can not control what others might or might not do so why put yourself in a position of ruining your enjoyment of the event? You continue to tell me how I should post and what I know or don't know but you have yet to answer any of my questions about why you put yourself in the position of finding out something you don't want to know.

Again, maybe you have not seen the new Bangled 5-series so no one should talk about it on this board until you are ready.

By the way Montoya won and it was a great race. Isn't that what this section of Bimmerfest is supposed to be about??
Old 06-03-2003, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Mein Auto: '13 F10 550i; '11 R1200GS
I guess we're lucky that neither F1 nor World Challenge are very well covered by the general media, at least in the US. In fact, WC races are often tape delayed by Speed for several weeks and I can avoid finding out the results unless someone posts it on the board. In fact World Challenge's own web site makes you click on a link saying 'spoiler' before they tell you the results.

Thanks for agreeing to cooperate.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:16 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Now you are getting ridiculous. I have taken part in discussion groups regarding sports and other events for years. We use the discussion groups to discuss events (games, races, etc) before, during and after the event. I am not trying to impose my thoughts or actions on anyone. You are trying to tell the members of this board how and when to post. I have agreed to not post spoilers what the hell do you want from me?? My point from the beginning is that you can not control what others might or might not do so why put yourself in a position of ruining your enjoyment of the event? You continue to tell me how I should post and what I know or don't know but you have yet to answer any of my questions about why you put yourself in the position of finding out something you don't want to know.

Again, maybe you have not seen the new Bangled 5-series so no one should talk about it on this board until you are ready.

By the way Montoya won and it was a great race. Isn't that what this section of Bimmerfest is supposed to be about??
How hard is it to comply with the wishes of the majority of the board members here? A lot of us come here not just for the Motorsports discussions but also for general information and socializing. A good portion of us log on on Saturdays and Sundays to check out what others are talking about...A quick way to do that is to view the board via "view new posts". There's already a sticky made here that will remain on the top of the board requesting members NOT to post spoilers on the subject header so that those of us wishing to catch it at a later time without knowing the result can do so by ignoring threads with the title SPOILER in it.

I think this should be a two way street...All you have to do is modify how you wish to post and discuss F1 results by posting SPOILER in your title, and we'll make our conscious effort to skip over threads with the word SPOILER in it. Both party must make the effort. What you propose that we NOT get on this board on alternate Sundays sounds a lot more far fetched than us requesting that you post the word SPOILER in your title so we can ignore it.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:41 PM
Jayhawk

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally posted by The HACK
How hard is it to comply with the wishes of the majority of the board members here?
The majority of the board members I am sure have no opinion on this subject.

I agreed to cooperate. I find it amazing that many that have posted in this thread do not see the other side of their argument. Instead the argument is "I want to watch a race whenever I want and I want to be able to go to this site and set my preferences however I like and everyone else should post in a way I want."

By the way good coaching choice at UCLA, Lavin was a joke. I guess we both get to see how our new coaches will do. I hope Bill Self has as much recruiting success in California as our previous coach (Pierce, Vaughn, Haase, Pollard, Padget, Wilkes, etc)! Go Jayhawks!!!
Old 06-03-2003, 12:47 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
OK, I give up. Another dense dufus to add to the ignore list, I guess...
Old 06-03-2003, 12:48 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:

I agreed to cooperate. I find it amazing that many that have posted in this thread do not see the other side of their argument. Instead the argument is "I want to watch a race whenever I want and I want to be able to go to this site and set my preferences however I like and everyone else should post in a way I want."

By the way good coaching choice at UCLA, Lavin was a joke. I guess we both get to see how our new coaches will do. I hope Bill Self has as much recruiting success in California as our previous coach (Pierce, Vaughn, Haase, Pollard, Padget, Wilkes, etc)! Go Jayhawks!!!
All we need is cooperation from both sides...And I guess if you do post SPOILER first and no spoiler informatio in the title we're all in agreement. Personally I wake up to watch it live, but I see both side of the argument.

Yeah, KU has been bleeding the talent dry from So. Cal for years, but from the look of things, Howland is reversing the trend...There's already two highly regarded recruits that reversed their decision because Howland is here so we'll see.

Glad to see we can all come to some sort of agreement...Will be glad to take the B-ball discussion into OT if you wish.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:21 PM
both feet in

Send a message via AIM to SpaceMonkey
Mein Auto: '02 ZJC
Quote:

What other side of the arguement?

"Screw common courtesy and ruin something for others for no good reason"?
Old 06-16-2003, 03:38 PM
Butting back in

Mein Auto: GS500F
Quote:
Originally posted by berford
All good points, R-gal. My condolences re. not having Speed. It's such fun.
The vast majority of TV doesn't make me regret my decision not to watch it, but I do wish there was a way to get Speed and nothing else. I was over at a friend's house, and at 1 in the flippin' morning they were playing 24 hours of Le Mans. I like that.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Mein Auto: '13 F10 550i; '11 R1200GS
Sticky BUMP
Old 04-11-2004, 04:14 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KU Ned

There are a LOT of other topics in the Motorsports section. We talk about autocrosses, DEs, car setup, cars for sale, upcoming events, and other things.

Just because I don't want to read some thoughtless person spoiling a race result for me, doesn't mean I don't want to check on all the other info here.

Sorry, but there is NO "other side." Either you are thgouthful and carefl of other peoples needs, or you aren't. You can discuss the race all you want, just don't put results in the title. Is that so hard to grasp? It is just beign courteous.

In fact I encourage such info, because at times I am not where I can see the race, so being able to then go into threads and find out what happened is a big help. Not every coutry televises F1 or other racing.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 10-19-2004, 09:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be courteous and don't post spoilers in the subject line. I just had SWC TC spoiled for me!

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 09-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
this thread sure died.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy